ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

then you don't buy it, that's on you, not them. 

Sorry, not entirely in this case.

In Bones 1, they had most of the Chronoscope stuff mixed in with the Core set.  People got upset about that, with valid reason. 
In Bones 2, they seperated out the Chronoscope stuff into it's own expansion, with a bunch of new scenery pieces, and effectively added 3.5 skirmish forces to the line (finished out IMEF, Alien Greys, Kulathi and Bathalians)
In Bones 3, the Chronoscope was in a Mythos Expansion, and 3 sci-fi add on sets (Blackstar Corsairs, Sledgehammer and Space Mouslings). 

And then in Bones 4 they went to a scatter shot single expansion with a bunch of one off pieces that many of us already owned many of the figures in metal and a single add on modern scenics set. 

Ron talks about the Chronoscope expansion from B4 not doing well.  But what about the Modern Scenics set?  I haven't heard him mention that all.  I've heard no mention of how the sci-fi parts in Bones 3 did, either.  I may have not bought the Chronoscope expansion, but I did buy 3 of the modern scenic sets to show them what I wanted.  So how is it on us for not buying the expansion when it doesn't have the value of anything they did previously?  

Most of us asking for Sci-Fi are NOT asking for another scatter shot Bones 4 style expansion - most of us are asking for a Bones 3 Blackstar Corsairs or a Bones 4 Modern Scenics style add on.  Something smaller, and more focused. 

We did vote with our dollars, and we're trying to tell them why so they can do better so we all win, and it feels like we're basically getting told to stop whining about it withhout them actually listening to us. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Corsair said:

A Chinese war chariot would be a great add-on!

I second this!

And a rocket launcher !

Hwacha!

Less than 11K!!!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

If you had been in the Pledge Manager last kickstarter, do you still have to reregister for this one? Or can you use your old sign-in?

I was able to until yesterday

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I strongly doubt that the portion of traffic that was composed of chariots over any road in the Roman Empire would have had a significant effect on rutting. Heavy grain wagons, however, might well have.

Which is to say that I've heard that claim many times and find it ... unconvincing.

I haven't done any real research into the subject, but I have also heard the theory before and always assumed (based on what I DO know about Roman military and legal issues from other topics I have researched deeply) the theory had it somewhat backwards.

My thought is that the chariots (high priority, government or military transportation) were built on a more or less standard frame across the Empire; wagons (low priority, civilian transportation) were built on non-standard frames (maybe standardized in a given region, but not across the Empire). Official transportation began to have problems with ruts worn by (commonplace, heavy) local traffic as they went from region to region, so laws were put in place to start matching the wagons to the chariots. It amounts to the same end result, but accounts for the fact that chariots would've been much less common, much lighter weight traffic.

Tl;Dr: I theorize that commonplace wagons were not made to match ruts worn by uncommon chariots; rather, chariots had trouble with ruts worn by wagons, so laws were made to make wagons conform to chariots.

And all of this is to say, I'd like to see a chariot, and separate horses in harness for it. Same with the wagon, cart, etc. I would like to be able to have an idle cart or chariot in a village with no attached livestock, as well as one with livestock... In the WizKids pre-primed stuff, I can get a cart and an ox, but the ox has no harness, so I can't just add it to the cart without sculpting stuff myself.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

We did vote with our dollars, and we're trying to tell them why so they can do better so we all win, and it feels like we're basically getting told to stop whining about it withhout them actually listening to us. 

Admittedly, IMO, Most of the "stop whining" is coming from commenters, Ron and the rest may not be commenting due to not wanting to do an early reveal.

image.png.328e8839e19744d902aa16b4952f8259.png

I am very hopeful, still, for a significant Chronoscope unlock.

16 minutes ago, Sanael said:

And all of this is to say, I'd like to see a chariot, and separate horses in harness for it. Same with the wagon, cart, etc. I would like to be able to have an idle cart or chariot in a village with no attached livestock, as well as one with livestock... In the WizKids pre-primed stuff, I can get a cart and an ox, but the ox has no harness, so I can't just add it to the cart without sculpting stuff myself.

I'm right there with you. The only chariots in 28mm that I have are for my GW Tomb Kings (which are some very cool, albeit ridiculously fragile, models).

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

Admittedly, IMO, Most of the "stop whining" is coming from commenters, Ron and the rest may not be commenting due to not wanting to do an early reveal.

In literal words, yes. 

But one of the disadvantages of their Twitch stream for them is that we viewers can see their body language. 

The last few times I mentioned sci-fi on their Bones Live streams, the body language given off by Dave, Jon and Ron has been fairly negative.  The last one of them was a suggestion on some existing sculpts they could package in an add on - it looked like Dave didn't get a chance to read before it scrolled off screen so he looked at Jon,  and Jon said "sci-fi" and the body language of both of them was very dismissive as they moved on.

And while Ron appears to still be trying to be non-committal, he does keep jumping back to the "well, the Chronoscope expansion in Bones 4 didn't do well" which is what I feel has been driving most of the commenters to tell us to "stop whining".  

Based on what I've seen to this point, I'll be surprised if anything sci-fi shows up in this KS, even if it breaks 4 million. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Even outside of the Encounters, FOCUS and THEME is important.

The Mythos Chronoscope expansion was great.

Good focus on a theme.

If you wanted any of it then you were pretty much guaranteed to want most of it.

The scattershot Chronoscope expansion was a mess, and we ignored it.

No focus on any theme, so not useful for any one use.

Had they made a Space Opera expansion then it would have had a focus, and the Andromedan Space Queen on her flying throne could have been a centerpiece.

Or a modern military expansion.

Or a modern city expansion.

Instead it was the shoebox that you throw minis you don't know what to do with in. Flying Space Queens and bollards. <_<

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Some of us have eclectic taste.  I like Old west minis, modern minis, space opera minis.  SF minis.  Roaring 20's minis.  Have them all and have used all of those.  I am in the minority, but it is a good minority.

• Like 10

All this talk of wagons makes me want a Bone sculpt of this:

5632009_101919-kgo-sooner-schooner-spill

As a anti-Unv of Oklahoma football fan, I'd approve of a sculpt. :devil:

(I am glad no one (man or beast) was injured in this accident, however.)

2 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

Some of us have eclectic taste.  I like Old west minis, modern minis, space opera minis.  SF minis.  Roaring 20's minis.  Have them all and have used all of those.  I am in the minority, but it is a good minority.

If my area was more into other genres besides fantasy (D&D, Pf mainly), I'd love to see the other genres as well. Currently thou fantasy remains supreme here.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I haven't done any real research into the subject, but I have also heard the theory before and always assumed (based on what I DO know about Roman military and legal issues from other topics I have researched deeply) the theory had it somewhat backwards.

My thought is that the chariots (high priority, government or military transportation) were built on a more or less standard frame across the Empire; wagons (low priority, civilian transportation) were built on non-standard frames (maybe standardized in a given region, but not across the Empire). Official transportation began to have problems with ruts worn by (commonplace, heavy) local traffic as they went from region to region, so laws were put in place to start matching the wagons to the chariots. It amounts to the same end result, but accounts for the fact that chariots would've been much less common, much lighter weight traffic.

Tl;Dr: I theorize that commonplace wagons were not made to match ruts worn by uncommon chariots; rather, chariots had trouble with ruts worn by wagons, so laws were made to make wagons conform to chariots.

Another consideration is that the chariot wheels would have been constructed as lightly as possible with a metal rim.

Wagons would have heavy wheels, often without a metal tire to prevent the wheel from wearing down as wood is cheap and would not abrade very fast when moving at low speeds.

The metal tires of the chariot, being harder than the paving stones, would groove a limestone paved road much faster than the wagon wheels made of wood.

GEM

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Flying Space Queens and bollards.

I don't know if it helps anything Bones-wise, but this is definitely the name of my David Bowie/Sex Pistols mashup cover band.

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

3 hours ago, StarFyre said:

I did.  But I do prefer the size, look and fine detail on the efs one since it's a large resin kit.  Sadly I've settled on the fact that I won't be getting either model from Mick.  Every now and then I message him, and he says his sister will mail it and he confirms my address or he says he will send it... That's the aboleth though.  Their larger hut isn't ready. He said the smaller one is there.

Sanjay

Yeah I backed for this as well. Gave up on it a long time ago. Actually I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. Didn't Pacesetter buy this out?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, haldir said:

All this talk of wagons makes me want a Bone sculpt of this:

5632009_101919-kgo-sooner-schooner-spill

As a anti-Unv of Oklahoma football fan, I'd approve of a sculpt. :devil:

(I am glad no one (man or beast) was injured in this accident, however.)

If my area was more into other genres besides fantasy (D&D, Pf mainly), I'd love to see the other genres as well. Currently thou fantasy remains supreme here.

Reminds me of the time I was at an American Civil War reenactment, and one of the Mounted reenactors had a Navy Colt revolver stuffed down the front of his pants , because it "looked cool". He also, unfortunately, had a percussion cap under the hammer. Fortunately, he was lucky or intelligent enough to have it on an empty chamber in the cylinder, so it was merely a case of "hilarity ensued" rather than "an ambulance and a veterinarian were called immediately. There was a reason why those guy back then learned to guide their horses with their knees.

From what I have seen thus far, the wagon has not shown any sign of a box or cover attachment. Seems to be a basic cargo wagon, suitable for any period from ancient times to 19th century. Heck the Amish and Mennonites in the Midwest are still using them.

And many SF authors have postulated (including Firefly) that a new colony on another planet would be very likely to use 19th century technology until the population and industrial base grew sufficiently. The first priorities would be food and shelter, after all, not smartphones and microwaves. 

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 6

I feel like maybe Reaper had planned to hurl all of Chronoscope in a big pile again and had to react to the fans stockpiling tar and feathers too late. If they'd paid any attention after B4 they'd have seen what folks thought. We love Chronoscope, but hated the presentation. They had other things on their minds, I guess, and no real interest in non-fantasy stuff. Hopefully we'll get some good non-fantasy Encounters.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1