ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

There are so many awesome things in this kickstarter obviously, but I'm really happy to see the Dragon bust.  I have wanted that for teaching dragon details class since 2017.  I will be maxing that order.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Since you sculpted the Catoblepas, I'm curious how you pronounce it.  Did you get any information about it other than its appearance?

I would say it as Cah-tow-blee-pahs.

Regarding Dungeon Dwellers:
There is no figure numbered 321
I really wish they’d remove the cross from number 333. Most fantasy realms use different deities.
Is 346 a barbarian or a giant?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

The Catabolaspasbas...just unlocked! 

Yaay!

1 hour ago, Sanael said:

Tough to run a multi-level-spanning game in a two hour slot, but I'd give it a shot! Maybe just run one or two encounters per level, really power through a series of episodes...*ponder ponder percolate*

@TaleSpinner, I'm sad even you will have to wait so long for your own sculpts, but I'm not surprised. Gotta say, though, you and @Rainbow Sculptor are knocking it out of the park! That catoblepas fills a long-empty niche (with STYLE! That face is ahhhhhhhsome!), and the child adventurers are really great. There's a new after-school organization starting up nearby, and I'm thinking about offering to run a weekly kid's game for them. These would be awesome for that!

Thank you.  Wish I could take credit, but Ron came to me about it and gave me awesome Izzy art to work from.  Of course I jumped at the chance, loving the old school monsters as I do.  I really liked Izzy's fresh take.  The skin effects were mine, being a bit hippo and a bit Indian rhino, and a bit fantasy.  This was the fist time I got real, finished Izzy art to work from and it was fantastic! (The Chaos Toads were 5 min sketches she did for me on a piece of scrap paper, which were awesome, but she only had 15 min to spare on them so I had to fill in a lot more of the gaps.)

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

Since you sculpted the Catoblepas, I'm curious how you pronounce it.  Did you get any information about it other than its appearance?

44 minutes ago, haldir said:

This.  It was originally coined by Pliny the Elder in ancient Rome.  I honestly don't know how he would have pronounced it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yaay!

Thank you.  Wish I could take credit, but Ron came to me about it and gave me awesome Izzy art to work from.  Of course I jumped at the chance, loving the old school monsters as I do.  I really liked Izzy's fresh take.  The skin effects were mine, being a bit hippo and a bit Indian rhino, and a bit fantasy.  This was the fist time I got real, finished Izzy art to work from and it was fantastic! (The Chaos Toads were 5 min sketches she did for me on a piece of scrap paper, which were awesome, but she only had 15 min to spare on them so I had to fill in a lot more of the gaps.)

This.  It was originally coined by Pliny the Elder in ancient Greece.  I honestly don't know how he would have pronounced it.

I'm gonna have to bug Izzy next year & see the original. Love her take on critters & such.

I have to wonder how many backers are stores who don't want to wait for retail?  There sure seemed to be quite a few of them flipping sets on EBay after B4 ended...

3 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

This.  It was originally coined by Pliny the Elder in ancient Greece.  I honestly don't know how he would have pronounced it.

He was Roman so someone that took Latin might be able to help.

4 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

11 minutes ago, haldir said:

I suspect the original would have been more like Kah-tah-bleh-pahs, since it comes from "καταβλέπω, (katablépō)". But by the time we reach later Gygaxian, it's unclear what the preferred pronunciation would have been. :B):

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

Just posted a link on reddit.  Hopefully that helps pull in some more backers so we get a bunch more unlocks tonight!

This is fun!

Oh, and just cracked $1.05M so the Yokai option is now unlocked.

Nevermind - of course someone had already posted it on reddit earlier when the KS launched.  I was surprised it wasn’t still a “hot” post in r/minipainting.

This is still fun though!  :rolleyes:

Edited by rubegon

55 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

DRAGON WOLF!!!!!!!!

Can I surmise that your version might be painted a bit chaotically?

24 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well, ZBrush just froze, I guess it must be telling me to take a break and exercise.

I had to kill my CAD software at work twice last week in one day. Something about trying to regenerate 13,465 models that it was also trying to download from the server first. Homie don't play that.

CTRL-ALT-DEL for that sweet, sweet kill task click.

Sometimes, it's just so satisfying.

Edited by Pegazus
Time is important.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Mckenna35 said:

I have to wonder how many backers are stores who don't want to wait for retail?  There sure seemed to be quite a few of them flipping sets on EBay after B4 ended...

The one near me sells (sold) stuff  retail at approximately the same amount Reaper sold extra stock. I'm sad about not seeing any more stuff until tomorrow.  Someone new to the hobby can stock up fast, but I'm not sure yet whether I will add more. Dungeon dwellers I like a few, but there's a lot I don't want or need. But it's pretty close to being worthwhile for the stuff I for sure want. Lots more to see.

36 minutes ago, haldir said:

I'm gonna have to bug Izzy next year & see the original. Love her take on critters & such.

Izzy just gave me permission to post her concept art:

Catoblepas.jpg.96e4912c8f4092e9f1e2b5be0af9827a.jpg

35 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

He was Roman so someone that took Latin might be able to help.

Thank you.  I hate it when I try to sound intellectual and then screw up an important fact. :blush:  I appreciate the correction. ::):

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8