ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I haven't had the chance to paint them up yet, but they look pretty good. There's a weird sculpt incongruity with the male Ruler, since he has a strap running across his back that is completely intersected by his wing, making it seem like it phases right through his limb. The female ruler looks pretty good, but her hands feel a little small-ish. Not so much to be terrible, but definitely a little off to my brain. The wings are my biggest complaints overall. 

I have a bundle of Bones spare wings that I got at Origins 2 years ago, but I don't really have any that are large enough to fit them and be nearly as big as I'd overall like at this point. Not sure if I'll just grin and bear it with the thick Bones 4 wings, or try to modify them still...

2 hours ago, Pineapple said:

The only thing I don't like is the strange placement of the male's shoulder strap. It literally runs right through his wing in a very nonsensical way. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to address that before I paint it up.

Thanks,

that's actually very helpful.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Payment has gone through.

Now to wait for a while for things to settle down.

Then slowly add some more in the PM till I get what I really want.

I will probably shuffle the money around drop something/add something.

Fun times.

As somebody who only paints for display and fun I can use creatures in armies to my own desire not being limited to rules.

So Undead and Monsters will find a way in my collection.

The Ship and the Sea Creatures are awesome.

I was wondering about the Brinewind Extra Set, it's wonderful, but the only thing I find a bit odd is that the Bar wasn't a separate add on.

Why?

Because I could use doubles of carts, boats,docks,  barrels and such, but I would only need one Bar.

That's preventing me from getting an extra copy of the set.

@Glitterwolf  the bar isn’t all that big. If you get two, yours can be a bigger bar. With a roof!  You will have four walls instead of just the two, you could make a roof, move the Mermaid to a more prominent position. 

Or!

you could give the place a more W.O.O.F appropriate name like:

The Salty Dawg

• Haha 9

44 minutes ago, TGP said:

Or!

The Salty Dawg

You could use this as inspiration for combining the mermaid, pirate, and salty dog theme.

50CCC176-0A14-4359-A0AA-EC40FFFBEA55.thumb.jpeg.acad37d80f6843b0f84cb571312eabdc.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

48 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

You could use this as inspiration for combining the mermaid, pirate, and salty dog theme.

Altering the sign would also be a good use for these guys from Bones 3, if you have them. I'm sitting on 3 sets of each, unused, as I have been waitng for the retail release to make sure I can get more. As far as I know, these are the ONLY Bones items to never see retail.

IMG_20170531_192245.jpg.d7f4a168711fecc258897c1260b93038.jpgIMG_20170531_192344.jpg.730170b31dfeef31efa727afe6e5efa6.jpgIMG_20170531_192427.jpg.56a19d6de3db200313eb0d93241759b5.jpgIMG_20170531_192147.jpg.31e9d5fe499c6f35b772e07d7c0c5322.jpg

"Rusty Blade's Dwarven  Pub, Come in and whet your axe!"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

Altering the sign would also be a good use for these guys from Bones 3, if you have them. I'm sitting on 3 sets of each, unused, as I have been waitng for the retail release to make sure I can get more. As far as I know, these are the ONLY Bones items to never see retail.

IMG_20170531_192245.jpg.d7f4a168711fecc258897c1260b93038.jpgIMG_20170531_192344.jpg.730170b31dfeef31efa727afe6e5efa6.jpgIMG_20170531_192427.jpg.56a19d6de3db200313eb0d93241759b5.jpgIMG_20170531_192147.jpg.31e9d5fe499c6f35b772e07d7c0c5322.jpg

"Rusty Blade's Dwarven  Pub, Come in and whet your axe!"

I got a translucent set in addition to what was in the Core, and I've used several of them. There's still a lot left, but it's definitely been a great way to fix floppy Bones swords. I'm sad they haven't released them into retail yet.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, OneBoot said:

This was a different sort of Bones KS for me. There were fewer extreme excitement "I MUST HAZ! TAKE MY MONEY!" minis for me overall, but there's far more that I simply WANT. Like the siege weapons, for example. I didn't go "Oh, I'm excited because I super love them and can't wait to paint them up!" so much as "Oh, I'm excited because those look super useful and I can't wait to field them during a game!" 

So in general, more useful minis for us this KS (even leaving out most of the nautical stuff, which I want to PAINT but we have very little game use for). And that's DANGEROUS. :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

I really like the Ballistae. Ballista. I definitely plan to get two so for me it’s ballistae.  

Fun fact: ballistae originally fired spherical - ball-shaped projectiles. Bullets! ...long before gunpowder. 

Switching the ammo to large, heavy arrows was a later innovation. 

I am not as thrilled by the Rock Lobbing equipment. 

What games are you playing that use siege equipment? I only ever remember reading that you and hubs do RPGs and catapults, etc. rarely turn up in those. 

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, TGP said:

What games are you playing that use siege equipment? I only ever remember reading that you and hubs do RPGs and catapults, etc. rarely turn up in those. 

Really depends on the GM and players. Also a lot of people transition in both directions, from RPG to Wargaming, or the other way around. I, personally do both, and IMO, a significant percentage of Reaper's customers as well. Eagerly hoping for Bones Black, multipart, tabletop wargaming units. I would happily pay 30$ for a 15-20 pack. Closest thing thus far is the elven rangers, boulderkin, grave kings, etc groups in this KS, and other groups of the same sort in previous Kickstarters. The siege equipment gives me hope, though.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I'm way behind now that the Kickstarter is over and I can catch up on "life".

Here's a "thought"; looking at the picture I envisioned several of the flyers coming off of a single base via a candelabra style support arrangement.

I haven't seen this done but it seems to me to be a reasonable "solution" to the problem of large masses of small flyers.

GEM

I like the way the Bat Swarm does it.

03355_w_1.jpg

This is another mini that would look better in Bones Black than it does in standard Bones.

• Like 11

On 11/4/2019 at 7:17 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Otherworld uses flight bases.

Not cheap - $52 for twenty of the little pests, on  Paizo.

OWMDM9B_500.jpeg

The problem is that you do need them in large numbers.

Bones would have been ideal.

I am sometimes tempted to make vampiric owl stirges - the original myths that spawned the Zelazny strige that spawned the D&D stirge. ::):

The Auld Grump

The more I look at those stirges the more convinced I am that Mum has an old adventure with stirges that look just like that on the cover.

Does everyone else have an urge to make adventures that use the figures that WON'T BE AVAILABLE FOR TWO YEARS?! :wow:

Right now I am looking at Brinewind, and have an idea for a non-hostile undead encounter with drunk skeletons.

Skeletons that can be bribed with booze.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

Hey, in two years I might be ready to run that underwater/island/aboleth adventure path ::P:

And I'll finally have the minis for it ::D:

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

@Glitterwolf  the bar isn’t all that big. If you get two, yours can be a bigger bar. With a roof!  You will have four walls instead of just the two, you could make a roof, move the Mermaid to a more prominent position. 

Or!

The Salty Dawg

You make a convincing case!

It would be fun to create a diorama with the Bar.

Besides the Pirates a few Wenches, it has potential.

• Like 8

On 11/3/2019 at 9:14 AM, CAVBOSS said:

While it does take some work by the end user to fix a bit... I don't think it qualifies for either of these. Just my opinion. 

Well while I can cut the legs off, the rest is very firmly glued, and fairly unusable. Yes, this is my opinion, but baba yaga's hut was a miss for me. If the model had been hard plastic and more like the mausoleum from KS3 that would have rocked.

For the pirate ship I would hope Reaper communicates with the factory that the decks need to come off and it should not be glued. If it comes like the barge in pieces that would be wonderful. I am looking forward to it, I just do not want to be disappointed.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Skallabjorn said:

Really depends on the GM and players. Also a lot of people transition in both directions, from RPG to Wargaming, or the other way around. I, personally do both, and IMO, a significant percentage of Reaper's customers as well. Eagerly hoping for Bones Black, multipart, tabletop wargaming units. I would happily pay 30$ for a 15-20 pack. Closest thing thus far is the elven rangers, boulderkin, grave kings, etc groups in this KS, and other groups of the same sort in previous Kickstarters. The siege equipment gives me hope, though.

I remember, prior to Bones 4, I think, there was a preview at Reapercon of a series of warriors who were multipart kits. There was a lot of speculation that they'd make it into the KS, but then were never seen nor heard from again. I don't know what happened to them, but it's odd that we still haven't seen that happen...

Found a screenshot of commentary on it...

234158163_Multipartsoldiers.thumb.jpg.59b14b77a112e9f2e38743ccbb80d11f.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I remember, prior to Bones 4, I think, there was a preview at Reapercon of a series of warriors who were multipart kits. There was a lot of speculation that they'd make it into the KS, but then were never seen nor heard from again. I don't know what happened to them, but it's odd that we still haven't seen that happen...

Found a screenshot of commentary on it...

234158163_Multipartsoldiers.thumb.jpg.59b14b77a112e9f2e38743ccbb80d11f.jpg

I was thinking about those when the henchmen/hirelings were announced. The henchmen thing reminded me of the old AHQ henchmen, which these guys remind me of.

I also wonder what happened to the other hill giant that Bryan accidentally linked to that one time. I grabbed a screen of that but never shared it. 

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 5