ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Barge is sturdy indeed, I'm not sure if it is real Black Bones or the grey formula.

But I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Pretty sure the barge was Bones Classic (in grey), the Bones plastic has generally done pretty well in larger, thicker models. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I honestly hope they go with the harder plastic used for the Mausoleum from Bones 3. It's a hard, sturdy plastic that doesn't warp at all. Really nice stuff, and would be the perfect material for something like the ship.

They have said that they are planning/hoping to make it out of the same ABS plastic at the Mausoleum.

The Pledge Manager is working for me again.  They added some pictures that weren't there before.  Interestingly it didn't remember some of my most-recent adds to my box (the Red Dragon, for example), but did remember others (Brinewind Extras).

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

They have said that they are planning/hoping to make it out of the same ABS plastic at the Mausoleum.

The Pledge Manager is working for me again.  They added some pictures that weren't there before.  Interestingly it didn't remember some of my most-recent adds to my box (the Red Dragon, for example), but did remember others (Brinewind Extras).

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch any of the livestreams, they're right in the middle of my work day. The PM worked for me a bit yesterday, then went down again in the afternoon, but at least it doesn't appear to have eaten my account.

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I wonder if there will be swivel guns as well?

Else I might add a few myself.

>snip<

I'm trying to come up with an easy, yet cool looking way of doing these, will share if anything good comes of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did anyone ever figure out what the closest traditional modelling scale for 28 mm is? When I was googling some pics of "swivel guns" a plethora of model ship parts came up.

• Like 4

It is roughly 1/48, you can also look under O scale for model railroading. Realistically as great a variation as there is in 28-30 mm figures just about anything from 1/43 to 1/50 will work.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Corsair said:

It is roughly 1/48, you can also look under O scale for model railroading. Realistically as great a variation as there is in 28-30 mm figures just about anything from 1/43 to 1/50 will work.

Hmmm, that's going to make it a little trickier than, that's outside the scale of most ship models, but I'll have a go. I'm also hoping the offer some of the cannons as separate pieces, those would look really cool if someone wanted to do a like a coastal fortress encounter.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BrokenWolf668 said:
19 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Hmmm, that's going to make it a little trickier than, that's outside the scale of most ship models, but I'll have a go. I'm also hoping the offer some of the cannons as separate pieces, those would look really cool if someone wanted to do a like a coastal fortress encounter.

If you want some 25 mm cannon and swivel guns, go to Old Glory Shipyard, then click 25mm Ships, then Accessories

• Like 7

Blood and Plunder also sell packs of swivel guns. They are probably closer to scale with reaper stuff (28-32mm). I bought a couple packs of their light cannons. 

they also sell ships but the bigger ones are on the expensive side compared to reaper. 

So I looked up “armed pinnace” I think the brine wind small ship would be perfect. 1 regular cannon fixed facing forward, and 2-4 rear swivel guns. 

9772FE0B-5054-41B9-81EB-5F5C8A6693BF.jpeg

707F5C60-BBEF-4E99-AF40-9E989810AF70.jpeg

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BrokenWolf668 said:

Did anyone ever figure out what the closest traditional modelling scale for 28 mm is? When I was googling some pics of "swivel guns" a plethora of model ship parts came up.

1:64 (S Scale for model railroaders) is the closest moderately common scale (depending on your understanding of "scale" as regards gaming miniatures.) 1:48 is significantly too large in almost every case.

• Like 4

I've often seen 1:56 suggested as a good match for 25mm scale (which is what the early D&D prepaints were, before scale creep).

Edited by ksbsnowowl
  • Like 4

Laserdreamworks_dot_com also sells a number of sizes of cannons and carronades.  I can attest to decent prices and excellent casts.  Most of the guns are multi-piece (gun and carrage) to allow for different elevations.  I have a number of their ships and all of them are fully armed with my prize being a 24 gun frigate with 18 24 pounders and 6 carronades.  All are very much in scale with Reaper figures

• Like 5

Foundry miniatures also sells naval guns and swivel guns.

The Small boat in the Brinewind Extra Set is a must!

A very versatile miniature.

And

I have been thinking about the Dreadmere boat as well.

Are you guys familiar with the concept of a Burner?

Basically a ship filled with flammable stuff/explosives, send it to the enemy fleet and hope it will burn down a bigger ship.

Unmanned of course..or at least jump off in time.

Now imagine one of these two smaller boats and fill it with the Bones wall of Fire and / or Burning Sphere?

Paint it up and we'll have a Burner!

Wall of Fire (3)Burning Sphere (3)

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 13
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BrokenWolf668 said:

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

9 hours ago, BrokenWolf668 said:

1:60

For RPG purposes it is 1:60. Wizards of the Coast decided this. 1 inch equals a five foot square on the dungeon map floor. (five feet is SIXTY inches.)  All the Reaper brand circular RPG bases conform to that standard. The scale is One inch = Five feet. 

Everything goes metric when measuring the sizes of bases and the heights of figures. Bases are 25, 30, 50, 75, 100mm rounds. Because 25mm is so close to one inch, this means each 5mm increment is a scaled down foot. 25mm round base is five feet across. A 30mm barbarian is six foot tall. An Orc that stands 35mm tall is a 7 footer. A figure that is exactly 28mm is just a bit less than six foot (5' 9" ish).

It is easy math, you can do it in your head.

If you are shopping at a game store, grab the store's business card to measure with,  it is 10 foot by 17 feet 6 inches.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have been thinking about the Dreadmere boat as well.

Are you guys familiar with the concept of a Burner?

Basically a ship filled with flammable stuff/explosives, send it to the enemy fleet and hope it will burn down a bigger ship.

Unmanned of course..or at least jump off in time.

Now imagine one of these two smaller boats and fill it with the Bones wall of Fire and / or Burning Sphere?

Paint it up and we'll have a Burner!

I am familiar.  The British / American  word is "fireship". The Dreadmere craft is a rowboat or a dinghy. It is approximately what the (very small) crew of a fireship would use to escape from their sacrificial vessel once they lit it off and abandoned it drifting toward the foe's anchorage.

Small brigs, old schooners, water hoys, coasters, captured luggers, and other small merchies are typically the sort of thing expended as a fireship. (Small stuff but well bigger than the Dreadmere dinghy or the Brinewind pinnace.)

A little rowboat set aflame and inbound is easy to counter: intercept with a longboat (ten men manning one oar each), grapple it with a boat hook and tow it clear of any ships in the anchorage.

TLDR :: I have heard of fireships.

fireship.png

This is a perfect image showing the relative scales and sizes of the different types of watercraft.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2