Sign in to follow this  
SGHawkins09

2019 Secret Sophie

Figure complete!  Should go out Saturday (or Monday, dependent on when I get up tomorrow...)

Box packed, now to print postage and toss it in the mailbox for pick up!

Been awfully quiet in here, everybody doing alright?  It's been a rough couple of months for me!

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 6

Gift shopping is done.  Painting is nearing completion.  Expecting to ship before New Year's. 

• Like 5

Mini just needs a few finishing touches.  Should ship early New Year. It *has* been a busy and rough couple of months.  :-P

Proof of painting.

Nick the Xmas rogue.JPG

• Like 7

4 hours ago, rubegon said:

I’m done!  Just need to figure out how to box this guy up safely and will send him off tomorrow.

This is my first time shipping a painted mini, and I’m pretty paranoid he’ll get dinged up or chipped.

I repurposed some used packing materials, and I think this should work pretty well!

The 2 foam slabs are a slight compression fit in the box.  He’s sitting in a partially dug out pocket in 1 sheet.

He’s going in this box alone, and that’s going in a slightly bigger box with all the other stuff.

0ABD42C9-70B1-48B2-9227-BA69F71933E5.thumb.jpeg.396f4cbb083a1ea5ed9e01c916aeb3e1.jpeg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, rubegon said:

I repurposed some used packing materials, and I think this should work pretty well!

Looks like it will remain pretty stationary.  My only suggestion would have been to also wrap the min in bubble wrap.  Just for the added protection.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Looks like it will remain pretty stationary.  My only suggestion would have been to also wrap the min in bubble wrap.  Just for the added protection.

I thought about doing that.  I would have had to make the cutout go all the way through both sheets of foam to make it fit, but it would be protected by the bubble wrap.

I ended up not doing it because I was worried about damaging / bending the long weapon while wrapping it though, and also if it got banged around.  I figured this way the cutouts for the body and base will hold him in place and the weapon would be stress-free between the foam sheets.  It’s pretty spindly and sticks waaay out there.

You think I should change it?  I can still redo it.

• Like 2

A big thank you to everyone that has posted here or messaged me their progress. There are a few participants that have not posted anything since the start so please make sure to either message me your progress or post here. If you recall, one of the requests we have for those participating is that you provide a WIP for which the deadline is tomorrow. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, rubegon said:

I thought about doing that.  I would have had to make the cutout go all the way through both sheets of foam to make it fit, but it would be protected by the bubble wrap.

I ended up not doing it because I was worried about damaging / bending the long weapon while wrapping it though, and also if it got banged around.  I figured this way the cutouts for the body and base will hold him in place and the weapon would be stress-free between the foam sheets.  It’s pretty spindly and sticks waaay out there.

You think I should change it?  I can still redo it

I guess it depends on how safe you want to be.  Basically, things are always going to shift to some degree.  The packing material is responsible for minimizing how much shift can take place, and how much force gets transferred to the mini.

If you do wrap thing in bubble wrap, you don't have to wrap the whole thing in one piece.  Cut out a strip and wrap the legs, and a second strip for the head.  Then take two pieces and make a sandwich with the spear.  Use a bit of scotch tape to secure the bubble wrap down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same here - tracking on the package I sent out showed delivery on 12/30.

I’m hoping it made it in one piece!

• Like 3

Work is in progress! 

Thanksgiving, 2 years olds birthday, Christmas, and new year played havoc with my timing. Will be shipping in the next week or 2!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1