NaNoWriMo - Novel Writing Month is November

So National Novel Writing Month (NANoWriMo) is coming up in just one week, and I'm wondering who else will be trying it out, and who wants to talk novel ideas and also maybe be my friend on the NaNo site?

My Novel this year will be something I've never tried - something silly. I've tried fantasy and horror and drama, but now I'm going to write a silly novel that's a cheesy sci-fi story that doesn't have to make any sense. I want my heroes to be trope-laden awfulness that have stupid adventures they solve with technobabble solutions that either just never make sense or are dumb. 

Inspired by low-budget sci-fi movies of the 70's and 80's, I want the reader to picture cardboard sets and aliens with rubber foreheads (or just green makeup and a wig!) and weep as my heroes battle monsters by reversing the polarity or karate chopping a robot! Implausible planets, Ridiculous aliens, and Technology that works with stupid or no explanations!

The idea being that I don't have to care. In previous efforts I have stalled out when my characters ended up in jams they couldn't resolve, or I lost the ability to move the plot forward because I couldn't figure out how to challenge them enough (and in one case, I finished my 30,000 word story well before I hit the 50,000 word goal). If I stall out, Blow something up or introduce a stupid plot twist. If my characters can't escape, The Alien crewmembers manifest Deus Ex Machina powers that magically resolve the dilemma (Disarmed and Captive, it turns out the alien has eye lasers!) and I can get them back on course to the next planet as they hunt for the McGuffin!

Anyway, I'm hoping that having that kind of freedom really lets me finish. I have so many good ideas that I really want to write, but I get stalled. Anybody else have a strategy, plan, idea, interest at all??

• Like 7
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these years my November isn't going to be stupid busy and I'll actually try this (we are moving provinces over the next week or so, I can barely keep the logistics of how that is all going to work straight, let alone work, so not a chance this year).

Your idea sounds good.  I've watched enough Sci-Fi series where 10 episodes in it's like, "Well, the story is done."  And then WHAM, cheesy plot twist, here's 10 more episodes.  And "future tech" or "future science" can hand wave you out of most any corner.  Sounds like fun!

• Like 1

I'm doing it. I find it to be a useful exercise, and a lot of fun!

Two things I like to keep in mind for this event:

(1) It's about quantity, not quality. Do what you need to do to reach that 50K goal. If you get stuck on a section, jump ahead to another section that you're a little more confident about, or try rewriting one of your earlier scenes in a different way to see if you learn anything new about your characters. Once November's over you'll have plenty of time to make everything look pretty. ::D:

(2) If your novel is really in a jam and you just don't know what to do, or if it's no longer inspiring you, work on a different writing project. Start a short story. Write some poetry. Don't let the "novel" part of National Novel Writing Month trip you up!

• Like 3