Sanael

Baseball bat? Halp!

So, I'm working on prepping Ouroboros Miniatures' "Akane" bust. Here's the sculpt as-is:

1.thumb.jpg.f4e00d7837470de68adb5de52019a391.jpg

A good bit of modification is going into this one, including replacing her sword with a baseball bat. For reasons.

This is what I've done so far:

IMG_20191024_204405714.thumb.jpg.68fca3a2786efa027b8102100d5f8ca9.jpg

I know, very exciting.

So this is the right length, I like the width of the business end and of the handle, but the taper between them is uneven.

I'm willing to cut putty away, but at this point it's off center, so I'll run in to the brass rod before I correct the taper.

So I figured I have two "easy" options and one "nuclear" option. Am I on the right track with any of this?

EASY:

1. add putty to the flat side of the taper, let it cure, then trim away everything to the correct taper.

2. Leave it be. Her arms and jacket will obscure the angles enough that it won't be noticeable. This might actually have some truth to it, but I'd like to make this a competition-worthy piece, so I'm not find of this option. Here's a held-by-tension-and-dreams mock up of what it looks like now:

IMG_20191024_210132050.thumb.jpg.b379d5370fd45d993934eb75cf39686b.jpg

IMG_20191024_210319843.thumb.jpg.7a5bb3d913c9efbcf1bd2ef4956e83da.jpg

NUCLEAR:

start over entirely. What else did we think "nuclear" meant?

If I were to start over, I think I'd first make a layer the width of the grip, the full length of the bat, let that cure, then add a layer from the fat end to about the middle of where the taper goes, let that cure, then a layer the full width of the striking end of the bat, feathering the taper at each layer.

Regardless, I need to smooth the whole thing, which I think will entail loading the brass rod into a drill and smoothing the thing on sequentially finer sandpaper.

So... Thoughts? Advice? Thrown pottery?

I may have a few more sculpting questions (of a... fleshier... nature) before paint starts happening, and I'll definitely WiP the paint.

Thanks all!

• Like 5

Maybe even skip greenstuff and go with wood?  Hard to tell the exactly size, but you might try a bamboo skewer or a chopstick--sand and file instead of sculpt.  Might be very easy with that sandpaper/drill combination too.  If you're aiming for a metal bat you'd have to do a coat of ModPodge or clear coat, something to hide the grain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BLZeebub said:

Maybe even skip greenstuff and go with wood?  Hard to tell the exactly size, but you might try a bamboo skewer or a chopstick--sand and file instead of sculpt.  Might be very easy with that sandpaper/drill combination too.  If you're aiming for a metal bat you'd have to do a coat of ModPodge or clear coat, something to hide the grain.

Huh. I'd considered getting a "novelty souvenir" mini-bat, but the ones that are the right length are generally kinda chibi in their proportions. But I hadn't thought of just starting with a dowel rod. Because why do a simple thing. That might work really well.

I do want a wood bat; eventually I intend to sculpt a layer of duct tape around the fat end, with a split or two along one side. This thing will have the sort of "personality" that comes with heavy (ab)use.

Although using actual wood might be the way I go, I'd also be interested in hearing how the GS-pushers around here would handle this problem; I suspect it'd be a useful thought exercise even if it isn't put to immediate use.

• Like 3

You do know there are miniature baseball bats for sale do you?

Just google for "miniature baseball bats" and you will find several.

image.png.308fd47fe056125f00a7a0459d26164a.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

You do know there are miniature baseball bats for sale do you?

Just google for "miniature baseball bats" and you will find several.

Thanks! I've seen these, but the ones I've been able to find that are the right length (such as the one you pictured) are proportioned incorrectly in scale. The fat end is longer and the taper extends farther down the grip. And, TBH, I was able to find lengths of "too short" and "too long."

Part of the issue is that those small bats are designed as toys, craft projects, and/or souvenirs rather than as scale models, and part of the issue is that I'm giving Akane an admittedly very long bat in order to accommodate her armspan.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Thanks! I've seen these, but the ones I've been able to find that are the right length (such as the one you pictured) are proportioned incorrectly in scale. The fat end is longer and the taper extends farther down the grip. And, TBH, I was able to find lengths of "too short" and "too long."

Part of the issue is that those small bats are designed as toys, craft projects, and/or souvenirs rather than as scale models, and part of the issue is that I'm giving Akane an admittedly very long bat in order to accommodate her armspan.

Maybe it's possible to find a cheap Harley Quinn Toy and take the bat?

Or something like a Toy Baseballplayer Action Figure?

Just thinking..

• Like 1

Several years ago, I needed a riot baton for a 1/6 figure, I just chucked a dowel rod in a drill and turned it to what I needed [simple grooves in the grip], this might be the simplest way to get the exact dimensions you need.

• Like 2

There's a lot of options out there for souvenir baseball figures holding bats, and souvenir bats, trophy toppers too.

I just searched "Souvenir baseball bat", and this was one option, a "Suicide Squad" novelty key chain:

images.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 3

Nuke it.  You'll drive yourself nuts trying to fix it at this point.

Here's how I would do it:

1. Start with a very straight piece of steel rod (I'd us an old clothes hanger), cut 1/2 to 1 inch longer than what you need.

2. Using a 50:50 mix of Apoxie Sculpt to GS, sculpt the fat end of the bat and taper it down to the handle end.  Do this all in one go.  Make sure that it is a couple mm fatter than what you want over all.  Ensure that you leave the extra end of the wire free of putty.

3. Let it cure.

4. Put the free end of the rod in the chuck of an electric drill.

5. While wearing a breathing mask, run the drill and use sandpaper lightly applied to the surface to shape the bat.  Essentially, you are using the drill as a lathe, just like a real bat is formed.

Warning: Epoxy dust is toxic, protect your lungs.

6. Clip it and finish it as needed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @TaleSpinner. This matches up pretty well with what I'd had in mind. Some follow-up questions:

1. Any reason my brass rod is inferior to steel for this purpose?

2. If I don't have any Apoxie, will straight GS do ok? I assume you want the Apoxie/GS mix because the Apoxie is less rubbery once cured?

@Chris Palmer, I saw those Suicide Squad keychains. They were the best-proportioned shape for what I need, but sadly about an inch too short to fit her armspan. Thanks, though!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Thanks, @TaleSpinner. This matches up pretty well with what I'd had in mind. Some follow-up questions:

1. Any reason my brass rod is inferior to steel for this purpose?

2. If I don't have any Apoxie, will straight GS do ok? I assume you want the Apoxie/GS mix because the Apoxie is less rubbery once cured?

@Chris Palmer, I saw those Suicide Squad keychains. They were the best-proportioned shape for what I need, but sadly about an inch too short to fit her armspan. Thanks, though!

1.  It is weaker and I doubt it will stand up to the pressure you will place on it while sanding on the drill without bending at the chuck.

2. No, GS is rubbery, and tears; it really is not adequate for a sanding operation; it simply isn't toolable.  Milliput will work as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

1.  It is weaker and I doubt it will stand up to the pressure you will place on it while sanding on the drill without bending at the chuck.

2. No, GS is rubbery, and tears; it really is not adequate for a sanding operation; it simply isn't toolable.  Milliput will work as well.

Ok, cool. I have some Milliput (I have some Apoxie, but it's VERY old and I have found about its viability), so I'll give that a go... I'm not sure about steel rod, but I might have something.

I also have some dowels that are close to the right diameter, so I can try both the Milliput and the actual-wood options.

Thanks again, all!

• Like 4

Why not put the handle end of the bat in the chuck of a power drill and run it at slow speed with some sand paper.  It works for shaping wood dowel, it will work with set green stuff and it should produce uniform results.

Edited by snitchythedog
Engrish
  • Like 4