Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

Fimo Clay on plastic base, help with Oven?

Hi,

I have purchased Fimo Clay and want to use that to make bases with my rollerpins.

the clay itself needs to be baked in order to cure on: 110°C/230°F.

I'm a bit confused how to apply it to my plastic bases.

I mean if I put the clay on the base, use the roller and then bake them at this temperature the base will melt, right?

Do I need to roll the clay out, impress it with the rollerpin with a motif and then cut them to size and then bake them?

So I need to glue them ot the plastic bases afterward then?

How do you guys do this?

6 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Do I need to roll the clay out, impress it with the rollerpin with a motif and then cut them to size and then bake them?

So I need to glue them ot the plastic bases afterward then?

This is what i do :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

Yes, you have to be pretty precise and fast as it dry instantly once you place it on the base. 

It will dry in the Oven.

Afterwards I need to glue it to the plastic bases.

Thanks for helping.

You might also want to score/roughen the underside of the clay base after baking, so the glue adheres better. Not a whole lot, just enough to make sure the bottom isn't smooth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have some washers with an ID of 1". I often roll the clay into these and then texture them. Bake them and then when cool pop them out of the washer. Voila, 1" textured base.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

You might also want to score/roughen the underside of the clay base after baking, so the glue adheres better. Not a whole lot, just enough to make sure the bottom isn't smooth.

If you're using super glue (cyanoacrylate), it sticks better when bonding one very smooth surface to another (assuming both are flat). If you're using something like Gorilla or Uhu, you might want to score both the polymer clay and the base, because of the kind of connection they make.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are also special glues designed for heat-activated clays that are supposed to be able to take the heat. 

I don't know how well it sticks to plastic bases, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If you're using super glue (cyanoacrylate), it sticks better when bonding one very smooth surface to another (assuming both are flat)

That goes against everything I've learned and googled to verify. CA glue doesn't work well on smooth surfaces. Manufacturers websites say to gently roughen a surface if it is smooth. It provides small gaps/teeth for the glue to bond to, as well as extra pockets of moisture so it can cure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Loim said:

I have some washers with an ID of 1". I often roll the clay into these and then texture them. Bake them and then when cool pop them out of the washer. Voila, 1" textured base.

There's an idea.

I like to thank all of you or your help!

• Like 1