Sign in to follow this  
akai

Larger Size Brush On Primer product

Not sure where to post this. I prime miniatures only by brush and not by spray. I using Reaper primers recently and really like them. I was wondering if it can be purchased at a larger size instead of the standard bottle size?

• Like 1

To my knowledge, Reaper has only ever had the small dropper bottles.

If you want larger bottles of brush-on primer, look into Badger's Stynylrez. They're very popular in the Reaper community. They have a choice of base colors and can come in very large bottle sizes.

61AWK5jm0KL._SX425_.jpg

• Like 8

Mission Models sells their primer in 1 Oz bottles...  Like pretty much their entire line.  Vallejo offers 2 Oz bottles for their primers, if I remember correctly.  I have to agree as well though, it would be nice to get a 2 Oz bottle of Reaper brush on primer!

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

Vallejo even has 200ml bottles...   

The problem with different sized bottles is that you need a new filling robot, or do the job by hand.   

They would need to have a large number of different paints/primers/liners/whatever, and a steady demand for them in larger sizes to justify the cost of a new robot. 

And when most of these can last years for the average user...   

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Stynylrez is very nice primer.  I believe Vallejo also makes a large bottle of primer but Reaper does not.  We do keep asking, though, I like my Reaper primer.

I've been using Vallejo's big bottle of airbrush primer. It is indeed quite nice. I used to use the Reaper primer, and it does work but.... it just doesn't work as well. The Vallejo stuff is a lot more durable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, akai said:

Not sure where to post this. I prime miniatures only by brush and not by spray. I using Reaper primers recently and really like them. I was wondering if it can be purchased at a larger size instead of the standard bottle size?

Thanks for asking.

Reaper only sells their paints (includes primers) in the one size.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I use Vallejo, large bottles indeed, 200ml

image.png.f19f27d11361733eb46a5247008085cf.pngimage.png.51c4bc6ea4cedf1c52f4754c2ed353cf.png

Stynylrez goes up to 32oz bottles if you want ridiculously large bottles of primer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cmorse said:

Stynylrez goes up to 32oz bottles if you want ridiculously large bottles of primer.

Thx!

no idea if they sell that in the Netherlands or Germany.

Have to look into that.

I also use White Primer from Army Painter which comes in a spray can.

For Bones I use Reaper Liners.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I also use the Vallejo 200ml bottle in white. It's lasted me several years and still quite full.

The only thing that bothers me is that sometimes it creates bubbles, I counter that by adding a drop of normal grey paint and then use that mix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Reaper no they only have small bottles. (Have not used their primers)
  • Vallejo has huge bottles and spray cans. (Have not used their primers)
  • Army painter small bottles but spray cans.
  • Ak interactive has larger bottles (100ml). (Have not used their primers)
  • Plastic soldier company has sprays. (Have not used their primers)
  • Tamiya has larger bottles (40ml iirc) and  sprays. (Have not used their primers)
  • Stynylrez (This is from Badger afaik) has larger bottles. (Have not used their primers)
  • Liquitex Gesso has larger bottles.

Gesso  is what I use. Works fine for me, maybe if you are a better painter than me  it covers too much detail? Since it retracts quite a lot when drying it's easy to slober on with a brush (just don't slober too much :).

Otherwise bones I often just prime with undiluted reaper color, but army painter and vallejo heavy game color or vallejo model color also works fine for this.

If this generates a less strong bond with the surface it has not yet resulted in flaking, although I end with a varnish.

From 1/72 painting I know that a lot of people prime with tinted (or not) PVA.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:42 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Stynylrez ... no idea if they sell that in the Netherlands or Germany.

super-hobby has a nl site and ships pretty much too all of europe, but If you do a search there should be many. This comes up so often for airbrush that there must be an ample number of suppliers for the stuff.

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

The only thing that bothers me is that sometimes it creates bubbles

Same with gesso, just blow at it gently from above should pop them.

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I counter that by adding a drop of normal grey paint and then use that mix

Does that actually help? I always assumed I create bubbles  because if use a large-hiney brush and just capture some air in the process. But regular paint should not reduce surface tension to prevent that (or let the bubbles escape).

Edited by MoebiusStrip
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2019 at 2:40 AM, MoebiusStrip said:

Gesso  is what I use. Works fine for me, maybe if you are a better painter than me  it covers too much detail? Since it retracts quite a lot when drying it's easy to slober on with a brush (just don't slober too much :).

I have used Gesso for many years also (Utrecht's Black Artists' Gesso) and have not had issues with it covering details. I am quite happy with gesso, but recently I tried Reaper Brush On primer and quite like the smoother coat it provides. With the gesso product I have used, there is a slight texture to it. 

• Like 1