Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Early Modern Monster Hunters: All Of Them Witches (60198, 80006, 77196, Circle Orboros Manikins)

Well, you know what season it is as the leaves start turning and the air starts getting chilly...

...the season of the WITCH!

DSCN7320.thumb.JPG.26d7f6acad58aebcf382acd0de075f30.JPGDSCN7319.thumb.JPG.cd16c16ce9755873637c9121c0582496.JPG

Specifically, here's Dita, the Steampunk Witch, 80006. Her techno-accessories look like they put her well after the 17th century, but let's not forget a) prostheses were actually very advanced for those who, like Gotz of the Iron Hand, could afford them, and b) WITCHCRAFT.  

Here's more Dita.

Spoiler

DSCN7318.thumb.JPG.3d48fdcf3ea0da57f45d176a1ee05392.JPGDSCN7321.thumb.JPG.12fb3f86741ae42d1b72b545b70184fd.JPG

And that description, witch*craft* is a powerful thematic indicator. Witches are hobbyists and craftspeople. They make things. In a fantasy schema or in a folktale context, this is what distinguishes them from your average sorceror, warlock, or diabolist. The old witch from "Hansel and Gretel" was a baker and confectioner. Baba Yaga makes bone lamps and flying cookware. The witches from Macbeth make horrible stews. Bread and herbs, roots and wax, comb and yarn, thread and needle and pins;  imbued with will and spell and spite and hate, these are the tools of the witch. 

(An artificer is different in that they require witch-*engineering.*) 

So here's a horrible little moppet with a rusty knife. This one was fun to paint. Comes from the Familiars 2 set, 77096. Hard to parse until there's a layer of paint on her. A big mop of tousled yarn curls, a single button eye, a little smock and bag. I love the wobbly toddling pose of the thing.
DSCN7326.thumb.JPG.29c325d94e4d7700e072da4be56764bf.JPGDSCN7329.thumb.JPG.271b15a769a7249d1cfd1262c17cca98.JPG

The little Creepy Rag Doll from the Familiar Set 2 (77096) is a bitty wee thing. Here's a close-up, penny for scale. 
DSCN7413.thumb.JPG.9d0db5c720f4ca3d08294d72ea369727.JPG

Click for thorough turnaround. 

Spoiler

DSCN7415.thumb.JPG.3af97a9c4ec1350a60afbd3efd496179.JPGDSCN7416.thumb.JPG.55bbd5fbab7176c5fc856e4b4c81e54d.JPGDSCN7417.thumb.JPG.cc9654f1524f855d783ba27b9d306868.JPGDSCN7419.thumb.JPG.c313ccf770488186ddc18731162fa0be.JPGDSCN7420.thumb.JPG.b04ba76329f382f2bd1024bfcd70a9a6.JPG

And here's Estra, the Iconic Spiritualist. A glorious sculpt--it's good to see more elderly women. She's got all kinds of shawls and wraps and ribbons and scarves. Fun to paint, especially with some eastern-European-inspired designs. (Also with her is a cat stolen from Edna the Cat Lady.) Definitely a wise woman. A witch? There are rumors in the town, as there often are about old women who live alone and have cunning and practical skills.
DSCN7507.thumb.JPG.9345cab6d6783bcae60a2afeeef37741.JPGDSCN7509.thumb.JPG.40bd6d5ef0ec9192e12c82bb85ce2bb5.JPG

More angles (and witches know all about angles; ask Keziah Mason):

Spoiler

DSCN7508.thumb.JPG.8c66c207a75cb0f961c7af8bd9c822f5.JPGDSCN7512.thumb.JPG.14129b5b70477f7c58f8e9ca05c62887.JPGDSCN7510.thumb.JPG.372e1d5aaf833e91c510da21c5452687.JPG

More witch-crafts! Here are three horrible wooden "Mannikins" from Warmahordes' Circle Orboros. They are definitely NOT fae or natural plants, being lashed together with cord and twine. Hobbled, ungainly, bent and jointed in ways that seem viscerally wrong and cruel.

DSCN7664.thumb.JPG.87cbb12707bfdbe4deef65c7ae3a3553.JPG
DSCN7668.thumb.JPG.4d132bf368635ab5dd437d902909e9a2.JPG

Is she calling them forth or putting them down? The sharp-tongued biddies and resentful burgomeisters know which story they are going to tell, either way.

Spoiler

DSCN7665.thumb.JPG.0ab3e603383a89548d49f700b2c09165.JPGDSCN7666.thumb.JPG.89c5a4c65028284d7da80cd571d0a76c.JPGDSCN7667.thumb.JPG.db525f10fc6d1064be674f5064424454.JPG

DSCN7654.thumb.JPG.b678d5b2667a84d4d3e45b27eeb2a7fd.JPGDSCN7669.thumb.JPG.795a95eb31a172c0ba3993026b8664d2.JPG

DSCN7511.JPG

• Like 18

I painted that little diabolical dolly as well, once I figured out what it what I was looking at. Such fun possibilities at my table I had to paint it up just to have it ready. Nice work!

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Corporea
      Ok, I meant to do this a lot sooner, but I figured I could use this project to explain a bit about diorama composition.  Reapercon is fast approaching!  I know folks always try to figure out how to tell a story with miniatures as well as develop a composition that both makes sense to the story and is pleasing to the eye.  I have a hard time explaining why some things work well and others don't.  But, I can take a miniature I'm painting and explain why I chose to place elements as I did.  I hope that might help or at least get the creative juices cooking!

So, I'm taking:

...this guy, and I want him to tell a story.  Why's he got his hand up?  What he doing?  He's looking at something, right?  A summoning?  hmmmn.  Questions questions.  Now I'm pretty sure Izzy said something about him holding a dripping heart in his hand, but I'm in the mood to tell a happier tale.  Something sweet and romantic in a creepy necromancer sort of way. Because reasons.

So I painted him up and decided I'd stick him in an eerie swamp.  Actually, long before this I had a plan and I'll get to it.  But when I first look at a mini, I want to find a way to accentuate the pose and make it do something exciting.  Or interesting.

Just as a color aside, I used the same colors in his skin as I did on the base.  I want him to fit into his environment. For any piece, I want it to make sense.  Using fewer colors helps, because then they don't fight each other as much.  I'm using a simple complementary color scheme of red and green.  It's an easy way to get contrast without working hard. Note that while my red is intense (ie bright, really red, looks pretty red, hey that's a red) my green is desaturated (dull, boring, stuck some other colors in it to make it look less green, more olive, not bright)  I'll admit- his red isn't showing from this side, but here:

See? Red.

Then I found him a friend!

A lady friend!

There we go!  He's going to summon her right out of the swampy water.  Let's dance!  Actually, the title will probably be "Dance with Me"  but I'm willing to take suggestions!

Now, I want to explain why I like these two together.  First, I love the negative space they form in between their bodies.  They create two intersecting areas at the hands and the skirt/knee section.  The space between them is interesting.  While it would be cooler if she was looking at him and pulling our eyes back into the center, at the very least, the negative space helps with that.

Negative space is made up of the areas in between form.  In painting or drawing it looks like this:

I like the ones that trick the eye.  A vase or candlestick?  Or faces?  You choose!  But in art, use of negative space can be a powerful tool to create interest.

I put the arrows in the show where I see my viewer's eye flowing along lines in the composition.  See how the rock I made creates a line that points up and in?  I sculpted it that way on purpose.  His hand points out, her body forms a line that points down.  It's a triangle in its most basic form. Also, their hands form parallel lines. Their forms create an x.  X's are cool.  The eye likes x's.

So when I'm making something, be it basework or premade stuff, I want to put it together to help tell my story in a pleasing way.  It's one of the reasons I make so many fancy bases. I can control exactly how things fit together. Then it makes the lines I want.

But it isn't enough!  

Let's play with a tree!  I took a black cherry sprout that invaded my garden and added a few branches. You can see the ones with a wire core versus the real ones. A lot of the time I make the tree from scratch, but I liked this sprig and since I killed it, I'm making use of it!

Ok, yeah.  Now we've got some swampy furniture to set the stage.

See where the lines point? I adjusted the branches a bit to make them more pleasing later, but you get the idea.  I'm thinking about how I want to create intersections and how I want to balance the figures in order to make it seem harmonious. To that end, there's way to much pointing to the right.  I need something on the left, correct?

Add in some roots and something to anchor the left side of the composition...
      Take a look at the roots and see what lines they mimic.

I added a few branches to my left tree. I poured the water base and the water effect is still drying here. I wanted a swamp, right?

and from the back. I picked this piece of wood because I liked the way it mimicked my roots and water.

So, I'm still not sure that helps explain why things work or don't, but let me know if something doesn't make sense and I can scribble a few more arrows and use my words better! 

• By Sanael
      As seen in my Lunch Sessions WiP thread, here's the finished product of Borka Kegslayer, the stumbling-drunk warlock for Privateer Press' Trollbloods faction. I painted this guy up as part of a trade with @chaosscorpion , so the mini will be on his way across the state in the near future, unless CS sees something terribly terribly off.

Basing is left to Chaosscorpion to better match his army.

The plaid is a specific tartan, I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm pleased that this mini pushed me into doing plaid, which I'd never done before.

Borka also comes with a kegbearing Pyg. The kegstamp is, like the debossed pattern on the back of Borka's jacket, the symbol of the Trollbloods faction. I also enjoy the ridiculously drunken whelp sitting on top of the barrel.

Chaosscorpion, let me know if there's anything that needs to change before I put them in the mail!
    • By EvilJames
      Did this guy in 45 minutes for the Thursday afternoon Speed Paint at Gen Con.
      No Idea who he is.
      Relatively happy with him. Though others at the table had more intersting paint jobs. My guy feels at least practical.

Also did the Darsword one on friday but I can't for the life of me get her to photograph. I'll try again tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh Snap! this is my 1000th post! Ok EJ, Be cool, be cool. Say something to the people.
      Um...It's been a great ride
      Good, good. Let's keep it moving.
      I hope to have something good for a title
      Yeah, this is good stuff.
      And I hope this will help everyone overlook the canniblism.
      Oh !^#@^*#*^%& and you still haven't fixed the Darksword typo. It's Darksword! Darksword, not Darsword. *Smacks himself*
    • By dsmiles
      First warlock for my Thornfall Alliance Fury Road-themed army. Meet Immortan Carver:

Kind of a speed paint; I probably only spent a total of about four hours on him. Been in a bit of a slump lately, and I'm trying to break out of it.

As always, c & c welcome. 

EDIT: Whoops. Totally forgot to add his dead grass tufts before the photos. BACK TO THE WORKBENCH, CARVER!
    • By dsmiles
      One last shot at these WIP things. I've got a themed WIP here: Dave's Thornfall Alliance. I'm giving them a wasteland theme, and right now, I've got:
      Lord Carver, BMMD, Esq., III Rorsh & Brine Razor Boars (x2) Slaughterhousers (Leader & 5 Grunts) Farrow Brigands (Leader & 9 Grunts) Farrow Brigand Warlord Meat Thresher War Hog Maximus ...so this is going to be a fairly long WIP, which you are joining already in progress.

Some of these guys are already based:

Carver, Rorsh & Brine, and the Razor Boars

2 Random Farrow (from Iron Kingdoms Unleashed), and the Slaughterhousers

I started working on Lord Carver, Bringer of Much Massive Destruction, Esquire, the Third (known as Immortan Carver from here on) first (after finishing my Secret Sophie project). 

Immortan Carver's Pretty Much Everybody's Basecoat:
      Cloak/Loincloth - Sample Rusty Red
      Fur/Flesh - Sample Muddy Brown
      Shoulder Fur - P3 Cryx Bane Highlight
      Steel - Vallejo Oily Steel
      Bronze - GW Tin Bitz (Warplock Bronze)
      Leather - Reaper 09110 Oiled Leather
      Tusks - GW Kommando Khaki (Karak Stone)

At the point in the above photos, his cloak had been highlighted with Reaper 09111 Burnt Orange, and his metallics had been washed with P3 Armor Wash.
  • Who's Online   31 Members, 2 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)