Glitterwolf

GETTING TO KNOW YOU NOVEMBER 2019 Brought to you By Glitterwolf

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND CHALLENGE Nov. 8th / Nov. 10th.

Come up with a fun solution to get rid of snow, create a vehicle or creature to do that.

Describe it/Build it/Draw it!

Nov. 8th:

How about a Jet Engine:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AAes7fFpgeY

— 3:53 seconds; CSX Railways

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Not a solution but...

Philadelphia has pickup trucks with plow spades welded to them. I once watched such a plow-truck spin out in the middle of an empty intersection, a slow turn at like 5mph with a guy behind the wheel looking sheepish.

I'd suggest synchronized plow-truck spinning. Several trucks spinning out on empty ice, points given for length of spin and volume of tire squeal.

I nominate this to be added to the next Winter Olympics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Come up with a fun solution to get rid of snow, create a vehicle or creature to do that.

I recommend goats. They'll eat anything.

What I don't recommend is driving dumptrucks over the snow to pack it down.

Background: Denver generally doesn't get huge amounts of snow. We're in a semi-arid area and average about 15" (~40cm)  of precip for an entire year. So for budgetary reasons, the city doesn't have the capability to handle the kind of storms that Buffalo or Chicago get.  But every once in a while, we'll get 2' (60cm) of snow in a single storm. Over Christmas in 1982, one of those storms hit and just paralyzed the city. The then-mayor, Bill McNichols, decided to flatten the snow down as much as possible with city trucks, which didn't really help much at all. And he ended up getting voted out in the next election.

We had been out of town for the storm, visiting my grandparents in Arizona, and flew in Christmas morning. It took longer to drive the 16 miles from the airport to home than it had taken to get from Phoenix to Denver.

I'm not sure what other choices would have worked better; it was just one of those storms, but the dumptrucks were a major political point-scoring tool for his opponent.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

It's called a moving truck...I'm heading to Miami!

• Haha 9

On 11/1/2019 at 4:17 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Right, thread got derailed before I even posted a single question!

*** Sniff*** I'm so proud of you all! ::P:

QUESTION November 1st.

Winter is coming! What are you looking forward to?

Death to bugs!

Eggnog!

Hot apple cider!

Thanksgiving!

Fuzzy sweaters

On 11/2/2019 at 8:20 AM, Glitterwolf said:

WEEKEND QUESTION and CHALLENGE:

NOVEMBER 2nd and 3rd.

What is your favorite Winter Food?

Challenge: cook/bake and show us!

Gotta be a hearty stew. Not gonna make it this weekend. Didn't make it last weekend. Maybe next. 

On 11/4/2019 at 2:18 AM, Glitterwolf said:

November 4th.

With BONES V Kickstarter finished, which mini from that is your favorite?

Alternative question if you didn't back or are not planning to buy a Bones V mini:

Which new mini ( any company) is your current favorite?

The stag

Aganzarax

Sirens

Shadow of Ravenhome set

Dino Samurai! 

Hydra

Greater Medusa

Brinewind... pretty much all of it

Cockatrices

On 11/5/2019 at 2:17 AM, Glitterwolf said:

November 5th.

One of your minis came to life, which one is it and what do you think/hope/want it's going to do?

The genie!

On 11/6/2019 at 2:01 AM, Glitterwolf said:

November 6th.

What is the worst sculpt you've ever seen?

A lot of the early clix were just awful... 

On 11/7/2019 at 3:32 AM, Glitterwolf said:

November 7th.

You have a potion of Giant Growth, what will you use it for? 

Somehow, my bank accounts!

• Haha 8

Getting rid of snow? Isn't that why people have kids? "Here's a shovel, go clear the walk!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

9 minutes ago, Loim said:

Getting rid of snow? Isn't that why people have kids? "Here's a shovel, go clear the walk!"

That was my Dad's opinion!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

We already have a solution: The sun.

Oh, you want something that's faster?  Fine.  Try a flamethrower.  Or a small domesticated dragon or drake. 

Picture, if you will, a fantasy medieval city's fire brigade.  No, not a civic organization to light fires but a group of people and their pet drakes who can apply fire precisely, surgically, almost artistically.  They can melt the snow in the streets but not light any of the wooden barrels or buildings on fire.  They hold competitions in the summer to show off their precision.  A favored demonstration is to light a single cone on a pine tree on fire, but not to char any of the pine needles or branches around it.  The competitions do have firefighters on hand because, well, something can (and probably will) go wrong.  If they can, they schedule locations around where the local druids would like to do controlled burns anyway.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

The secret to this is locked within the bracing flavour of the York Peppermint Patty. 

The trick is not to try and get rid of the snow, for it is inevitable, but to simply summon it elsewhere. The Skoli infused each Peppermint Patty with a certain amount of Winter Essence, so the trick is to figure out just how many bags are needed to gather enough to have an effect, the proper ritual of unlocking it in a form other than flavour, and figuring out an effective targeting system. After Thanksgiving I'll resume my experiments in this direction and report back.

As to the synchronized plow truck spinning, when I was in high school that was actually a widespread hobby among us, except we found the mid 80s Oldsmobile Cutlass was capable of the most impressive spins, while straight line sideways skids of distance were best achieved in a 77 Ford LTD. One of the best overall winter vehicles is suprisingly the 70s to early 80 Cadillac Eldorado. Heavy and front wheel drive it skids forwards when it skids at all, and with a trunk large enough to hold six people in varying degrees of comfort, one can get enough sandbags into it that the rear end becomes immune to strong gusts of wind sending it sideways. Mount a plow on it,* and toss some Tom Jones in the 8 track and you're got yourself a beast of a car that only black ice can trouble!

*Never did get around to this part, but I did on several occasions drive through blizzards without any problems, while the sides of the highway were covered in spun out suvs. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I've already been gifted a firebreathing duck.

Also, I've already created my own demiplane so I can go there whenever I feel like it. ::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, 7Ninjasinatrenchcoat said:

I live in Texas, What's snow?

I think it's those weird tiny Styrofoam balls in those fancy trees that have a "snowing effect" on them...  That used to be popular like ten years ago for some reason. 

That or it's that magical white and fluffy thing that makes the mountains awesome to go skiing or snowboarding on. 

Beyond that...  Ah unno, those in the more northern states and in Canada seem to wail and whinge about it a decent amount, and this weird thing called ice (apparently related to the stuff you can get in a freezer, somehow, but even scientists are skeptical). 

But they look at you weird when you say the words "flash flood", because the first thought that comes to mind is a mob of raindrops all wielding camera flashes.... 

(that should all be purple I'd suspect...) 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2019 at 2:32 AM, Glitterwolf said:

November 7th.

You have a potion of Giant Growth, what will you use it for? 

Um family friendly forum.......

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

My master plan is already in motion....... Just need to warm the planet just a few more degrees then I Nuke what is left of the glaciers. 

If my calculations are correct, then my land here in Kansas will also become ocean front property..... Instant beach I can sit on and enjoy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

What Texas gets the week after I move out of it, and what IL doesn't receive once I move back....like it was avoiding me or something....

If you guarantee that snow will avoid you, you have a reserved spot on my sofa any time you want it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7