Glitterwolf

GETTING TO KNOW YOU NOVEMBER 2019 Brought to you By Glitterwolf

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 6th.

What is the worst sculpt you've ever seen?

I go back a long way...a very long way, so I’ve seen some doozies in the primitive age.

The 1973 Minifigs orc with sword in the front row is pretty sad, although I’ve done what I can with them:

D48F8317-98DC-48A9-8F98-7002E0099DFF.thumb.jpeg.2974d2efc2c7e8d3a87b0ab71d3e8a7a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, donalan9 said:

The roper from TSR 5601.

Thx.

And welcome to the Forum!

Have fun!

• Like 5

November 6th.

That's hard to say. I've seen (and owned) some pretty crude sculpts from way back when that looked fairly decent, but fall apart next to a newer sculpt. Like  @Lord of the Dish Pit mentioned, a lot of newer sculpts are too busy, or too over the top. Then there's also personal taste to add in. At least IMO there's no easy answer to this one.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 6th.

I can't remember the manufacturer or find a picture of it but I remember a series of very poor military miniatures that showed zero understanding of human anatomy. The figures had their arms raised above their heads without their shoulders moving. (Try it some time.)

On the other hand I can't decide if this is superb or dreadful:

article-2288949-1878F609000005DC-859_634x580.jpg.e29cfa2983b8ae8e38a43f28a6be4717.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 6th.

I have tried to forget..... :wacko:

I am going to go with this guy as well:

image.png.c3248501c89e47152917a0e693fe5c80.png

I don’t know what they were thinking but this proves that the Talosian was right, there is such a thing as wrong-thinking

3 hours ago, Sibling said:

Michelangelo's sculptures of women... just... wut? :blink:

I image searched this. He did some female angels and a sculpture called La Pieta... all very acceptable.

I don’t get it, Sibling. Kingdom Death has produced some ostensibly female hideosities that are far more horrid.

But for a real world sculpt, carved from stone, renaissance era:

m6z3l55z5q511.jpg 

There is this waste of perfectly ^ good marble taking up space in the Vatican Museum. 

25 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

On the other hand I can't decide if this is superb or dreadful:

article-2288949-1878F609000005DC-859_634x580.jpg.e29cfa2983b8ae8e38a43f28a6be4717.jpg

If this puppy is also a fountain I gotta go with dreadful. 

@paintybeard mentioned figures with raised arms (?) ...this artless critter is a candidate:

26B73489-84FF-47CF-AB9F-4E4DE8AB6D5F.thumb.jpeg.9a8a8a45147ba70d31e0dd30bb2e27e2.jpeg

...but the chaos boar is still worse. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 6th.

My sculpting skills aren't good enough to go judging anyone else. I once tried to sculpt a hand grasping a spear. At first it was comically large. Then I reduced it and it only had 3 fingers, then trying to correct it I broke it. So compared to my efforts, it all looks good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, TGP said:

But for a real world sculpt, carved from stone, renaissance era:

m6z3l55z5q511.jpg 

There is this waste of perfectly ^ good marble taking up space in the Vatican Museum. 

What's wrong with a ~2000 year old sculpture of Hermanubis?  That's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect to find in the Vatican Museum, other than all the Renaissance art.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 6th.

I have been painting miniatures now for well over fifty years...I can remember when having recognizable fingers was state of the art in minis. The number of REALLY DREADFUL pieces I have seen make picking The Worst an impossibility. Some of the then good pieces have now become awful lumps of lead/plastic/whatever.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I've seen lots of rubbish ones. I can't recall a specific one to mind, but there are some really, really bad old sculpts floating around. And I get it. I can't sculpt, but sheesh. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 6th.

Drat, you said sculpt, not model, so I can't say "the original Final Fantasy VII and blocks for hands!" :p

I'll go with leftover putty that people just roll up and then throw out.  Alternatively, I'll go with my putty catcher, because it isn't even remotely close to looking like a tree on a rock, although I suppose it's really slowly getting there, but right now just kind of looks like a triangular blob with brass rod sticking out of it... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 6th.

Leaving aside cubist stuff and the like ("I meant for it to look like that!") and going only with miniatures, I've been doing this thing for almost as long as @malefactus, and much of that early-70s stuff was charitably described as "possibly humanoid". I still have some of it around, with strange proportions, impossible posing, and detail that would make a potato look like a fine watch. All that said, for the time that they were sculpted, the original pumpkin-headed Dixon Samurai line was uniquely horrible:

Image result for dixon samurai

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

November 6th.

I have seen some sculpts that I do not care for, but I hate to call them bad. You want bad, you should have seen my failed attempt to sculpt from a few years ago.  They were dubbed the Green Horrors for a reason. Please do not make me go back there. 

• Like 8

November 6th.

The plastic miniatures for CityTech, 2nd edition, included a Nova and Timber Wolf where the arms (which hold the primary weapons for said 'Mechs) were pointed to the ground, like they were powered off.  On the Timber Wolf, the arms were also fused to the legs.

I'm not certain these were the worst sculpts I've seen personally but they're the ones I remember.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

November 6th.

My sculpting has been limited to minor modification so I'm not one to criticize other's work.  And I have a fair collection of old figs that are very crude by today's standards.  And while some figures aren't to my taste (some of the KD stuff is just ODD) but they are sculpted very well....just really really odd. I expect that was exactly what they were going for so it is well sculpted, just ...you know.

If I had to pick something out of everything I own, I'd be looking at some of the Palladium ( Robotech rant removed) Rifts figures, the Witchling comes to mind.  It was a pretty shapeless sculpt in the late 80s/early 90s, when it came out.  Poor for the time.  But they are still selling it?!  To me that's the worst part. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1