Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

GETTING TO KNOW YOU NOVEMBER 2019 Brought to you By Glitterwolf

Getting caught up after moving.

On 11/11/2019 at 3:11 AM, Glitterwolf said:

November 11th.

What D&D Class/Race would you like to be in real life?

A Gnomish arcane mechanic (no idea of actual class specifics, would be dependent on system).

All of my favorite characters have pretty much been Gnomes.  And I'd want to be one who would make fantastical and wondrous constructs.

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 12th.

Describe the toughest fight you had in a RPG or Wargame this can be both miniature or PC Games.

For some reason all the really tough fights I can think of in RPGs were ones I was running......:devil:

At the end of Pools of Darkness (what?  I'm old, and I haven't really played video games in....a FEW years....) either the last battle or one of the special ones after it (I think they were sort of class specific) , there was a battle with a bunch of shambling mounds and beholders (and probably a bunch of other stuff) and it took I don't know how many attempts.  If you didn't get initiative on them, you were dead.  Even if you did, if any saved against your area of effect stuff and got their first action before you could thin them out, you were dead.  And even if that all went your way, you still had to get lucky.  Good times.....

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2019 at 1:11 AM, Glitterwolf said:

November 11th.

Catfolk pirate. 

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 12th.

Describe the toughest fight you had in a RPG or Wargame this can be both miniature or PC Games.

There have been a few memorable games, but the one that gave me grey hair was in the mmorpg Asheron's Call.  Four of us went as a group to check out a new dungeon.  I forget what they were called but it was full of magic casting creatures that could drain you from a distance,  and with me being a melee fighter and DH an archer that was hitting us pretty hard and we were unable to do anything until we got close. 

DH did his usual thing, ran up to the intersection of 4 corridors, and promptly got broadsided by a volley of spell blasts.  He died and ended up back in town at the resurrection point. We waited for him to make the long run back to the dungeon and buff up.  A side effect of getting dead is you lost some skill points for a short period, until you earned enough XP to get them back.  So we were at a slight disadvantage. 

One by one, as we fought through that place, we each got dead, had to run back and fight off skill penalties. And we got dead again, and the second time you lose a piece of armor or a magic item.  And we got dead again, and lost more armor.  And the clock kept ticking into the night.  It got to be about 1am and there were 3 of us naked at the lifestone, with our 4th trapped in a corner of the dungeon.  But we were not going to give up.  We ran back, picking up crap armor, anything we could find on the ground or low level kills, and did it again. And again, and I don't know how many times.  We got our stuff back. We got our guy out.  We went to bed about 3am.  

My first grey hairs started appearing a few days later. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

It would have to be a miniature fight in Traveler that our GM ran several times called "The Chateau" .  He would give the players 15 minutes to request gear to defend a planetary president from mercenaries out to assassinate him.  There was a tech level cap to requests.  After that time you set up your defense and  the merchs attacked with significantly higher tech and numbers.  It took several times to have the President survive.  I do not think that we ever got him alive and most of us alive at the end.  Basically a Kobiashi Maru  scenario. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

At the end of Pools of Darkness (what?  I'm old, and I haven't really played video games in....a FEW years....) either the last battle or one of the special ones after it (I think they were sort of class specific) , there was a battle with a bunch of shambling mounds and beholders (and probably a bunch of other stuff) and it took I don't know how many attempts.  If you didn't get initiative on them, you were dead.  Even if you did, if any saved against your area of effect stuff and got their first action before you could thin them out, you were dead.  And even if that all went your way, you still had to get lucky.  Good times.....

I remember a battle at the end of that game as groups of 3 dragons  in each corner of the map, lose initiative and the party gets hit with 12 breath weapons of a variety of types. There were also shambling mounds to immobilize PCs and heal from errant lighting breaths.  Then my computer took to crashing in the middle of the fight.  

after at least a dozen slowly loaded tries, I deleted the game.   It probably the top of my list too. 

In an RPG game we were playing Nexus?  in a Warhammer world.  We were a part of a small mercenary company and being attacked by waves of beastmen.  my halfling Zwiehander challenged a beastman hero and got slaughtered, then I took over the NPC captain and got him killed too. 

The other PCs were slain as well, and the DM gave us the option of only being mortally wounded, and crawling out of the pile of dead after the (failed) battle. 

Since I narrated a very gory decapitation,  I passed and made up a new character.  

The DM was new to the system and completely misjudged what he was throwing at us. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Jasper_the_2nd weren't those special battles called Dave's Challenge?

Man some of those Pools of Darkness fights were rough. I think the toughest fight I remember was either the final fight of Pool of Radiance with Tyranthraxus or Secret of the Silver Blades vs the Dread Lord. Those were both brutal. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 12th.

The Defiance video game on PS3. I get to the end boss, who you have to solo, and who has 3 stages. I was on the final stage, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. And the game glitched, trapped the boss where I couldn’t hit him. 

I have never been so mad at a game before. I had to shut down my system before I started throwing things. 

Anyway, the next day I went back to it, finished the fight, and won the game.

• Like 9

November 12th.

Back when Burning Crusade was current, Mr. Thorne and I played WoW. He had a tank (paladin), I ... well, I was the healer, in this particular fight, running a shaman. We were in the Mechanar (one of the flight-accessable-only dungeons in the floating disaster area). We decided to take on Sepethrea - I think she had a thing Mr. Thorne needed - a fire mage. Easy boss, right? 

bahahaNO. No, of course not. We go in with a fairly standard five man. We knew we were doing this, we got to her, cleared the rest of the room, cracked our knuckles and went for it. Two unkillable fire elementals, who leave slime-trails of fire behind them pop up. All hell breaks loose. 

Half-health for the boss, last of the DPS goes down. This leaves Mr. Thorne and I bounding around, avoiding slime trails, getting lit on fire anyway, because boss is a fire mage, me healing .. both of us, really, for all I'm worth while he beats the unholy snot out of the boss (no point hitting the elementals, you can't hurt them)... I went down the first time, waited as long as I could, then Reincarnated (Shamans, man, we're hard to kill!), and flung as much as I could before either the boss or the elementals went after me again and I went down for the count, with a little less than a quarter of the boss' health remaining. The DPS were saying to wipe it. Mr. Thorne... is not a quitter.

... Mr. Thorne somehow managed to solo her down. I don't recall if he got the thing he went in for (I don't think he did).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

November 12th.

Biggest one I remember doing was in the Pathfinder AP Jade Regent #3.

Heroes are crossing the north pole (Crown of the World in Golarion). After pissing off a half-fiendish mini-boss, she sends hordes of zombies at the heroes' caravan camp (where several non-combatant NPCs were).

I literally had over a hundred minis of zombies (ice-subtype) and various zombie beasts attacking the heroes from all sides. Luckily, the players had access to plenty of fire, including a flaming burst katana, and of course creatures vulnerable to said fire (double damage). Zombies are also very, very slow (they move *or* make a single attack). That combination meant that no matter how many zombies I was throwing at them, they were mowing them down just as fast with minimal loss in resources (the PCs also had much higher than average stats). The story was supposed to be that the PCs would be overwhelmed until Deus-Ex-NPChina would appear to help and end the fight. But they were hanging in there and I didn't want to go through another round of 100 zombies, so the NPC popped in anyway, "turned the tide" and yadda yadda, fight ends.

It's around that time that I realized why stat buying is much better at levelling the playing field, and to ditch XP altogether and go with level gains at key moments. The published adventure could not cope with higher than average characters without me constantly re-adjusting the opposition (like maxing out HPs, or adding more levels or number of foes).

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

It's around that time that I realized why stat buying is much better at levelling the playing field, and to ditch XP altogether and go with level gains at key moments. The published adventure could not cope with higher than average characters without me constantly re-adjusting the opposition (like maxing out HPs, or adding more levels or number of foes).

My gaming group ditched XP way back in 3.5. We just level up when it feels "right."

• Like 8

On 11/11/2019 at 2:11 AM, Glitterwolf said:

November 11th.

Dwarf.

Ranger.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:20 AM, TripleH said:

A Wizard. Most of lifes issues can be resolved by a well placed Fireball (not the drink). 

Valid point.

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 12th.

The final fight in NeverWinter Nights was a woof. The big boss was surrounded by 4 (I think) spell casters who made the big bad immune to EVERYTHING. The spell casters themselves were immune to everything with the exception of 1 thing (different thing for each one). On top of that, you have to kill a certain one of them first. At the same time, you're fighting guardian creatures  and summoned monsters that are trying to keep you from hurting the spell casters. In addition to all that, the big bad and the 4 spell casters are all throwing spells at you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 12th.

The most 'fight' that sticks out the most really is not a fight. I play the video games on the easiest setting, too many damn buttons. Anyways. My son bought a PS4 a few years back, and one of the games he has that I love to play is Assassin's Creed Origins..... I have an Egyptian fetish..... One of the missions you have to do is rescue a guy out of a cell in the back of a chariot......... Instead of doing the normal mill the guards and free the guy, I stole the chariot..... My youngest son was sitting next to me and tried to help strat me away from other guards after several wrong turns and multiple civilian casualties I was able to get the chariot stopped in an area away from any guards. I get the guy rescued....... It was such a wild and Carnage filled ride, that it has become a running joke among my children and myself. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2019 at 11:11 PM, Glitterwolf said:

November 11th.

Dwarf Transmuter

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 12th.

Being how Thorne already took the best one (haven't chained cooldowns with this degree of precision in a long time)... Trails in the Sky SC, the final encounter with Loewe. If you go in unprepared, the game asks you if you just want to continue the story after he wipes the party. Being the stubborn fool I am, I decided that I would rather /win/ that one. Of course, I went in with Estelle (set up as melee / support), Joshua (melee / disabler), Kloe (healer / disabler) and Olivier (magic assault), had not optimized the loadout for speed, and the first thing the guy does after battle is joined is trigger his special attack. So, back to the last savegame. Swap Olivier out for Kevin, make sure the priest is fully loaded to burn skills, load everyone out for speed, try that again. Interrupt with Kevin for a shield... and watch in horror as Loewe summons shadows of himself to fill out the battlefield. As if his Archaisms weren't bad enough... Right. Re-tool the loadout again, make Estelle a support character with every casting time reduction I can find, so she can keep a Speed buff on the group, while Joshua uses area attacks to keep the adds manageable and Kloe keeps Loewe delayed in as much as she can. Kevin's only job is to make sure the invulnerability buff stays active, in case something else /does/ get a turn... and after that degree of preparation, I /still/ ended up coming out having used up most of my consumables, and with everyone below half health...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 12th.

The closest thing that would count would probably be the finale for the first round of Imperial Assault that I played.  The Imperial Player was taking it easy on me (he was, that's not false modesty), and everything came down to one final die roll.  Literally the last possible roll I could make to achieve the victory conditions.  I had experienced some serious dice-hate earlier, and that really put me under the gun.

I won't say more about the scenario in case someone ends up playing The Bespin Gambit.

I made the roll, though, and "won."  I use quotes because had D been playing "to win" and not "for the experience" I would have been trounced at least one round earlier.  But at the time I was just about over the moon because the prior three games had not gone well for the rebellion.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

November 13th

What's your favorite board/card game?

Bonus question, any good stories about playing it?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 13th

What's your favorite board/card game?

Bonus question, any good stories about playing it?

Favourite board game...  Hmmm, I'll go with Clank! In Space, because I like the refined mechanics it has over the original, even if we play the original a lot more. 

As for card games, that's a tough question, so I'll say Clank! :p

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1