Glitterwolf

GETTING TO KNOW YOU NOVEMBER 2019 Brought to you By Glitterwolf

I don't get to play board games much.  Can't interest my current game group. Most card games don't interest me, though I do like Chez Geek and Munchkin.  I played INWO when it first came out. 

I recall playing Illuminati once at Gencon.  Full table of 6-8 players who all seemed to have played before. Game seemed to be moving fast, everyone was building their hand while I was sitting there like the stupid one who didn't know how to play.  Funny thing, I kept getting the exact cards I needed, and ended up laying down a surprise win.  

DH had an after-work board game group going for a while.  I was invited to play some kind of zombie survival game, don't recall the name.  It was getting near the end of the game and the player on my left did something that meant he would win and the rest of us would all die, and he sat there smirking while everyone else groaned.  People threw down their cards, started pushing back from the table, and I said "No, there's one round left."  I insisted we play it out.  We were going clockwise around the table, so one by one each player  tried and failed to defeat that player.  Tension was really high,  as the final turns went by and each person threw everything they had against the zombies.   Then, on my turn, the very last play, of course, I laid down the cards that won the game. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I played INWO when it first came out.

I never liked INWO as much as the original game. INWO was much prettier, of course, and much more durable. But I always liked the part of the original game where you moved money around for defense or attack. It provided an extra element of tactics that I found fun. And it had high replayability and decent balance. (Steve Jackson has been a very good designer for a long time.)

As an aside, I was involved in a playtest game of INWO. (At GAMA? Some convention, anyway.) It was a very useful playtest, where "useful" can be defined as "identified major problems that required correction before release." I suspect this impacted my desire to get seriously into the new version.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 13th

What's your favorite board/card game?

Bonus question, any good stories about playing it?

Tough one...  I play a lot of board games!  Roll for the Galaxy and Dead of Winter are on the top of the pile I think.  Who doesn't like rolling tons of dice in the first case and the quasi cooperative aspect of Dead of Winter with the shenanigans that ensue from a traitor can be so much fun!  We've had many a game that has gone sideways at the last minute due to a betrayer in our midst.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 13th

Magic: the Gathering's Commander format is always a fun time, there's been some pretty funny shenanigans at our FLGS (like me playing a mono red deck and having a blue player terrified that I would counter his spell, mostly because I had done it twice that game). Red Dragon Inn is always a fun time for everyone, the cards themselves are hilarious. Last but not least, Rattlebones is very special to me because of personal reasons.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ironclads  Old Civil War Naval Battle game.

On the weekend after Thanksgiving we have one of our gaming group put on an all day (plus Convention at his house.  We have three our four board/miniature sessions.  About a decade ago the first event on Saturday was Ironclads.  Each of us were given a single random ship of our side that started on the opposite side of the map.  On the first turn I had an extreme long range shot with one of my rifled parrot guns.  I took the shot and hit the armor in a spot weak  enough for me to penetrate. There is a very low chance of a critical roll.  Needless to say I got that and hit the boiler that blew up.  His ship was out in the first ten minutes of a four hour event.  My ship survived but I don't think I sunk another ship that day. If I did it was the death of a thousand cuts with much help.  No one else had a boiler hit that day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 13th

Kingdom Death: Monster with Cave Evil a close second for multiplayer and Massive Darkness a close second for single. MD is pretty simple, but it's quick and fun. The speed and light weight is why it gets more time than KDM.

For cards, Spades. The game of choice from my band years, it was our version of the Black Company playing Tonk, there was always a game going on somewhere.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 13th

Clue, lots of good fun playing that. I can’t remember anything specific though. 

Though, the first time I played Life with my Hubby, he threw my “husband” out of the little car and replaced it with his person :lol:

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

It's usually during character creation. ::P:

Ah yes, the struggle to find a name. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

26 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Psst! Here's a hint:

• Colonel Mustard
  • In the library
  • With the lead pipe

Clue would be amazingly easy to adapt into a ReaperCon edition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

2 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Psst! Here's a hint:

• Colonel Mustard
  • In the library
  • With the lead pipe

@Glitterwolf

in the Garden

with Stroopwaffels

@Crowley

in the Kitchen

with a coffee cup

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

40 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Though, the first time I played Life with my Hubby, he threw my “husband” out of the little car and replaced it with his person :lol:

Ah yes, the struggle to find a name. :lol:

Finding a name is easy, it's the countless hours tweaking the features until it looks exactly like you. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Corsair said:
7 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

@Glitterwolf

in the Garden

with Stroopwaffels

@Crowley

in the Kitchen

with a coffee cup

@OneBoot

at the Sophie Sez table

with .....a boot  :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

November 13th

Red Dragon Inn is always a good one. Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned more often. ;p

I also like Attack Wing (we have Star Wars, and the Dragon version that didn't seem as popular). I don't think I have many 'board' games though.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TGP said:
1 hour ago, Corsair said:
1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

@Glitterwolf

in the Garden

with Stroopwaffels

@Crowley

in the Kitchen

with a coffee cup

@OneBoot

at the Sophie Sez table

with .....a boot  :ph34r:

54 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

@Ludo

at the Sophie Sez table