Sign in to follow this  
Lorathorn

Solar 77594

Awesome gift, great armor so far.

I do think the beard/hair is too similar to the armor colour though.

Needs more contrast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would line his beard and hair, so there's a thin dark border between his beard/hair and everything else.  This may should provide enough contrast to tell his beard/hair and armor apart.  Or, at least, it's a place to start.

(If you don't know what I mean by lining, I, or someone else, can provide more information.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally use thinned Reaper MSP Brown Liner for lining, which is a dark brown.  (Reaper's liner paints are similar to their other paints but have flow improver added (and probably other things) to make them better suited to lining.)

• Thanks 1

Looks good and will be an awesome present. I agree the beard needs more contrast or lining.

I would also suggest to increase the contrast on the red fabric. You could add a warm colour to the red base to match the overall warmth of your colour scheme, for instance a warm dark purple or yellowish dark green.

Edited by Peithetairos

I’m not sure if “btue” is a typo for “blue” or “the”.

I feel like his skirt needs more contrast.  I’m not completely sure it should go all the way up to white (well, “not white”) but the shadows should probably go to “not black”.  (Reaper MSP Walnut Brown is my go-to “not black” but any dark color would work.  Reaper MSP Linen White is my standard “not white”, but other barely-off-whites would work (e.g. VMC Ivory).  It helps if you use the same “not black” for deep shadows everywhere and the same “not white” for bright highlights everywhere.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did correct the spelling mistakes. It should indeed read ‘the‘.

I think it looks better now, but I would go even darker contrast wise. Instead of white you can highlight red with a medium flesh tone. This way it won't get too pink or orange.

• Thanks 1

His hair and beard look duller than they did before.  They appeared lighter in your first set of pictures.  I would make them lighter again, or at least add highlights.

If it helps, MiniPainterJen's Nandi's hair tutorial is my favorite tutorial on painting hair.

• Like 2

Yeah, about the beard... I keep going back and forth. Going to try and do one more light dry-brush.

As for the wash, I don't have green wash, but I can probably whip some of that up. I'm on the fence about doing the medium flesh dry brush, though. I'm trying to call this one done soon and not fiddle, because I'm worried I'll fiddle it to death. So to speak.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this