Flesh tones

NymMoondown

Hiya,

does any one paint 3e (dark black or grey i believe) orcs?

I do! I do! I was sort of relieved that 3e made orcs dk grey instead of green. Gave me an excuse to paint it as something other than GW Ork Green. Of course I've ALWAYS painted my Middle-earth orcs dk grey, including the new Citadel ones...

Damon.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve. Funny this should come up in the thread called "Flesh Tones" but I put some colors up that I used for Monique in the 3rd post on this very thread :D As another example (though sloppy around the eyes) here is The Pale Prince

albino_h.jpg

Hope it helps anyhow :D

My online gallery is at http://daniel.a.joyce.home.att.net

IE is broke, so it may render a lil funny, but should still work.

That said, all the figs there are painted in the manner I've described, using feathering, etc. What determines how well the look is the amount of care I put into the feathering/blending.

Pale/grey/blue/etc flesh.

I like the vallejo pastels and their greyish colors for this. Ubdercoat with the color of your choice, then hilight with pale flesh. For a nice undead/drow/etc look.

-Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks for the site and the info.  I am working on a few test pieces to try this out.  I like what I am coming up with though.  I am assuming that you use 1 brush with paint/retarder and then 1 that is dry to do the blending.  Well, that's what I am finding out at least.  Also, good idea to let base coat dry overnight.

Thanks

Steve

Hi all

(Hi Zappy *wave*)

I just wanna share my flesh tone 'recipe' by for those who use white primer, since all I read start with black. I'm mostly use black but lately I'm learning to use white primer.

K, here it is

Normal human (caucasian)

1. White primer

2. thin down GW Bestial brown (about 4-5 part water and 1 part paint or until it looks milky but not transparent) - avoid creating 'splotches' on wide area; wait until it dries completely before you start adding layers. This Bestial Brown is used for 'blacklining' the crevices

3. Paint the eyes with Ghostly Grey (or Reaper Ice Blue) for the white area. If you happen to overpaint the 'blacklining' then simply with fine brush fix it with #2 - just enough not to flood the eyes you just painted. Then 'dot' the iris with any color you want the eyes to be.

For the following steps, every mixture has to be watered down to 2-3 part water and 1 part paint

3. Basecoat with Dwarf Flesh - try not to flood the crevices that you've built with #2.

4. Highlight with 50:50 Dwarf Flesh and Elf Flesh

5. Highlight with Elf Flesh

If you want you can add Bleached Bone as your final highlight.

Placement of highlight: focus on the 'high area' such as cheek bones, forehead, tip of the nose and tip of the chin, knuckles, etc..

Cheers,

Lili

If anyone wants to try a flesh tone other than caucasion try mixing 3 parts Scorched Brown (Games Workshop) with 1/2 part Dark Flesh (also Games Workshop). This makes a nice "black" flesh base tone which can be highlighted with various browns to bring out different tones.

Who's normal? Me, I'm a dark haired, pale-skinned girl while my mom is red-haired with tanned skin.

What I'd like to see more of are flesh combos for Asians, African, Polynesian, American Indian, and Mexican as well as the fantastical races and subraces of Elven, Dwarven, Gnome, Hobbit/Halfling, Orc, Kobold, etcetera.

LOL.. sorry didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just implying a sample of normal human skin of caucasian, not meant to point that caucasian people are the normal human  :D

I myself is an Asian, so here we go for the Asian skin tone color. Again all colors I use are GW paints and all the water-paint mixing is still the same as my previous post:

White primer

Wash with Bestial Brown for crevices

Basecoat with Leporous Brown

1st highlight with Bubonic Brown

2nd highlight with 50% Bubonic Brown 50% Elf Flesh

3rd highlight with Elf Flesh (if sharp highlight is desired)

Cheers,

Lili