JabberwockP

150 miniatures in 75 weeks

Hi there, I'm Peter, I am brand new to the forums. I was drawn here because of the recently completed Bones 5 kickstarter. I followed the recent kickstarter pretty closely, and it reminded me, like I am sure it reminded many of you, that I have far too many unpainted miniatures.

I participated in the first bones kickstarter and got the core set and a few extras. At the time, I had no need for them, I wasn't playing much D&D or playing any miniatures games. But, I figured it was too good a deal to pass up and I would eventually find a use for them. Well, fast forward to today, and I still haven't painted a single one. When the subsequent bones kickstarters happened, I couldn't justify going much into them since I hadn't even touched my bones 1 figures. I mainly just got paint and an add-on or two. Well, while following this kickstarter, the bug is biting me and I really want some of this stuff. The designs this time around are outstanding, and from what I have seen, it looks like the bones black line is a big step up in quality. So, in order to give myself "permission" to buy more heavily into this kickstarter, I've decided to give myself a challenge.

Bones 5 is supposed to fulfill in April, 2021. April 11, 2021 is exactly 75 weeks from today. That is a nice number, so my challenge to myself is to paint at least 150 miniatures in that time. For me, that is a very, very high output rate, but I think it is doable. I am hoping that by challenging myself on this public forum, I will have a better chance of following through. In addition, I am adding an extra part to the challenge. At least 50 of those miniatures need to be from my bones 1 haul. Since I still really don't have much specific "need" for these miniatures, I am thinking that these will be an excellent playground to try out new painting techniques and stretch myself without feeling nervous about "ruining" them. I've been painting on and off for 30 years, so I am not a novice, but I still feel I have a great deal to learn.

My thought is to use this thread as a "home base" to track my overall progress in my challenge. I will create separate wip threads for the specific projects I take on (and link to them from here). I'd like to try to take photos as I am working to post in those threads in order to garner critiques and suggestions for improvement.

Okay, sorry for the long winded post, but I am really excited about doing this. Got started today, in fact, so you will be hearing from me again soon.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Setting yourself a goal like that is a great idea.  I suggest you make a calendar or something to show your progress and keep it somewhere you can easily see it.  As you see your accomplishments, it will help you stay motivated to keep painting.  Once the habit of daily painting kicks in, you will probably find you get faster and faster.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum!

@SparrowMarie might be able to give you a few pointers about implementing this in a calender/work list.

Great challenge!

Also many many minis!

Don't be too harsh on yourself it's supposed to be fun!

Wash them and dry them, I recommend priming them with Reaper Liner, although you couls start painting straight away, make sure the first layer is not diluted with water if you take that option.

I like them primed with liner because you can then paint with diluted paint so you paint thinner layers.

Go for it!!!

Oh..any texts in purple are meant as jokes/irony etc..

• Like 5

Geoff - Good call on the calendar. I've got a journal that I am devoting to this project. I'll put in a calendar at the beginning and also put in pacing benchmarks so I can easily see if I am ahead or behind.

Glitterwolf - Yeah, I definitely want to keep the right mind set and not be harsh on myself. In fact, the first thing I wrote in my journal was "The ultimate goal is forward progress." As long as I am making progress, I think I will feel good. There will certainly be weeks when I will not be able to paint at all, but hopefully that is balanced out by weeks where I get a lot done. If I don't hit the end number, but feel I was productive, I will feel like it was a success. One thing I definitely don't want to do is see that I am 30 miniatures off and just do a rush job on a pile of miniatures just so I can meet some arbitrary number. If I fall behind because I end up spending 3 weeks on a single model, so be it. I will certainly be happier with that one model than I would with a bunch of hastily done, crappy paint jobs that I wouldn't want to look at later.

Thanks for tips on working with the bones material. I don't plan to work on bare bones as I don't like to work with undiluted paint. So, I am going to test some different things out. I've got brown liner, so will certainly try that. I've also got that tile glaze medium that was mentioned in the old thread about undercoating bones, I'll try that out. I'll also try just priming it as I do other models.

• Like 4

Welcome to the forums! 

This sounds like a great project! If you need help with calendars or how to set up lists or anything really just ping me or send me a PM! I do a project every November called Minivember. I aim to paint (at least) 30 minis in 30 days. I got 78-ish total done last year but most of those were duplicates of the same model so it went much faster since I was able to assembly line them.

Again, welcome and I hope you have fun with this! It gets hard to continue if you get stressed over it.

• Like 4

Another welcome post! 

Glad you came over from the KS we have endless amounts of enthusiasm and advice if you want it. 

I love finishing large batches.  I set monthly goals, and track finished bones on a spreadsheet.   I try and keep a steady pace of 4 bones minis per month. 

So I still have room in my painting time to paint an occasional dragon, giant or other figure that catches my eye and needs to be painted immediately. 

My current goal is the Core set of Bones 3.  (57 left to paint) So I really agree with your idea of using each mini to try a different technique or finding a way to have fun with it. 

alot of the time it isn't what mini should I paint, but how will I have the most fun while painting this mini? 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 4

So, I am usually painting for miniatures games, at least theoretically. If you are mostly painting for fun, this may not apply, but I usually have several figures on the table (or on the same craft stick) at a time

3692DE28-C652-477D-B001-A5D4C16DEF0B.jpeg.5a16265f1358ad05fce17d770cb8f97b.jpeg

and will add some color to several figures as long as I have a brush wet. 

Usually, I’ll just go along until something is nearly (80%) finished, and then I’ll stop adding across figures and finish the one. 

Sometimes they are very similar, as above, and sometimes not:

267B179A-F58E-4E89-BF03-F0465DFA9711.jpeg.bd3936ecc812679924168c6a7de5b624.jpeg

As you can see, two figures out of that group reached the “finish it” level previously. 

The advantage is that things make progress even if in the background, increasing the overall speed. The disadvantage is that things often spend

a long time in the ugly intermediate stage. 

I also log all the completions, even if I’m not pushing particularly hard on anything. 

4DAA0836-0E45-46C7-B48C-87AE064792FF.jpeg.ea4a16478ae9d804ce283eb09a5621ed.jpeg

In fact, the current page shows figures from at least five different projects in three different scales, so no concentrated effort there...

• Like 7

Welcome! 2 minis a week doesn't sound too bad; you can do this!

Getting a bit done on many minis at once increases the odds you'll have something to work on even if you have painter's block on any individual mini, I've found. 

Happy painting!

• Like 1

Rather than a calendar, I made up a spreadsheet showing the weeks and a pacing guide so I see where I "should be". The two numbers are for total miniatures and for bones miniatures.20191104_181321.thumb.jpg.f725c4951a9cfec23bcb0f9a9c135f3e.jpg

I am working on four miniatures right now, so if I can get them done in two weeks, I'll be right on schedule! :)

One thing that I am going to need to get in the habit of is preparing new miniatures while I am still working on current projects. Usually I am laser focused on one thing at a time, but I can't wait until something is done to start basing and priming the next thing.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, JabberwockP said:

Rather than a calendar, I made up a spreadsheet showing the weeks and a pacing guide so I see where I "should be". The two numbers are for total miniatures and for bones miniatures.20191104_181321.thumb.jpg.f725c4951a9cfec23bcb0f9a9c135f3e.jpg

I am working on four miniatures right now, so if I can get them done in two weeks, I'll be right on schedule! :)

One thing that I am going to need to get in the habit of is preparing new miniatures while I am still working on current projects. Usually I am laser focused on one thing at a time, but I can't wait until something is done to start basing and priming the next thing.

Prepping ahead of time helps tremendously. If I didn't prep beforehand not many would get done because I am the same way. My calendar is more for keeping track of which minis I am actually doing and a rough date of when I'd like to do them.

• Like 3

I suggest working batches or prep time into a project this long. I am really just winging it for my 99 minis in 99 days c personal challenge, but for something even longer I would suggest batching minis into groups of similar colors and then working on multiples at once. Then once you finish a batch, take the time to get the next batch ready. 

The amount of time per batch (for prep or for completion) might vary...or you might vary the quantity to try and keep the timeframes similar. By this I mean that one week might be prep one mini and then paint it, while the next week might be prep three minis and then paint them. This would still meet your needed average.

Definitely work in some "buffer minis." Things like statues or boxes or simple things with mostly one or two colors make it easier to catch back up if you fall behind for one reason or another.

The area of most struggle for me is color choice. If you can map this out ahead of time, it will likely help. Maybe even write out some recipes to use for common things. 

I love the idea of the project! Personally I own a multitude more minis that I have ever painted. I would like to reduce the overhead by making a large dent in it. The reality is that I could probably paint two a day and still never finish painting them all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I figure I should do a weekly accountability post.

End of Week 1 of 75: 0/150 miniatures completed

Had an auspicious start, I guess. I realized at the beginning of last week that I was out of primer. Then, once I got the primer, it rained most of the rest of the week. I guess I should have spent the time prepping the other miniatures in the queue... Anyway, I finally got some priming done last weekend. You know, I've been thinking about getting an airbrush for some time, I think this challenge is going to make that a reality sooner than I thought. Santa might be leaving me an airbrush under the tree!

Anyway, I should get some paint on my brush this week. Unfortunately, I have to be out of town for work from Thursday - Sunday, so I'm not going to be as productive as I'd like...

I did start filling out my journal to create a pathway, write some thoughts about projects I want to do, notes about possible color schemes and basing ideas, materials I might need to get, etc... so that felt good.

• Like 6

You might also consider getting a bottle of brush-on primer.  That could tide you over for a few miniatures in a pinch...

I have spent a good bit of time on the road for work as well.  I've put together a travel paint kit for such opportunities:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/72131-travel-paint-kit/

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 3