Sign in to follow this  
WIP

BONES BLACK in BONES Non-BLACK Molds

So...I was wondering if BONES BLACK can be used in molds that were made for BONES before BLACK was introduced.

There are a lot of minis I'd like to buy, but just won't because of the weak structural integrity and poor quality of the BONES.
BONES BLACK has changed all of that. The structural integrity is there and the quality.

For example, the BONES Jabberwok is a awesome sculpt and I have one, but had to do some pinning, ect so it would stand properly and not sag and fall over after the plastic bends. If that were cast in BONES BLACK, it would be fantastic!

I hope they can replace BONES WHITE with BONES BLACK for all their minis.

• Like 5

When you have lots of plasticizer in your material (as in original Bones plastic), the flexibility allows you to eject figures from molds even if you have some undercuts. If you use a rigid plastic (Bones Black, for instance, or polystyrene or ABS without much plasticizer), any undercut would not allow the figure to be ejected. For those more rigid plastics, you need to design your mold to eliminate undercuts, which commonly requires multi-piece molds. And machines that can use multi-piece molds are not the cheaper machines that can only use a two-part mold.

That's without considering whether the injection machines can mate with each others molds or use the other kind of plastic without switching machines.

Which is mostly to say that I have the same understanding as @SamuraiJack.

And all that said, it's only some original Bones figures that have problems with structural stability or detail. While some of the original figures are ... not good, some of them are both very stable and have gorgeous detail. And along with the problems of some Bones figures comes better durability when subjected to the usual stresses of ham-handed oafs at gaming tables. (You can run over those original Bones figures with a car* without much damage; we know this because that test was performed.)

* Not recommended. If you run over your Bones figures with a car, I'm not going to pay to replace them if they're trashed. And neither is Reaper. :B):

• Like 6

Slightly off topic, but I put my Bones Jabberwok in 90% isopropyl alcohol for about a week.  In the two weeks since, I haven't seen any issues with sagging.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Are there plans to replace the old line of Bones with Bones Black?

Reaper has stated they have no plans to replace the entire line.

Although some individual minis might be changed over.

Seems like they’re thinking of approaching it on a case by case basis.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Reaper has stated they have no plans to replace the entire line.

Although some individual minis might be changed over.

Seems like they’re thinking of approaching it on a case by case basis.

And we've seen that with this latest Kickstarter. A number of classic figures who already exist in Bones showed up again to become Bones Black - Decker Lugstampf, steampunk armored mechanic, being a prime example.

• Like 1

If you look at the incredible improvements that have taken place since the first Bones kickstarter, you can understand why they will be remaking the minis in Black. The detail on faces, rigidity of weapons, etc all show the advances in the last decade. If Reaper doesn't upgrade many of them, those will be useless pieces as no one would buy them compared to current offerings. Not all the original Bones will need this, but enough to make it worthwhile to invest in new moulds.

On 11/5/2019 at 1:16 PM, Corsair said:

If you look at the incredible improvements that have taken place since the first Bones kickstarter, you can understand why they will be remaking the minis in Black. The detail on faces, rigidity of weapons, etc all show the advances in the last decade. If Reaper doesn't upgrade many of them, those will be useless pieces as no one would buy them compared to current offerings. Not all the original Bones will need this, but enough to make it worthwhile to invest in new moulds.

I don't know about "many" but definitely some would be improved significantly by switching to Black. It's a shame the Bones 1 minis they redid because of issues (Emma Stone, Juliette, Drogo Vos(sp?)) that they didn't wait to redo them in Bones Black... 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 3:04 AM, Crowley said:

I don't know about "many" but definitely some would be improved significantly by switching to Black. It's a shame the Bones 1 minis they redid because of issues (Emma Stone, Juliette, Drogo Vos(sp?)) that they didn't wait to redo them in Bones Black... 

Well....bones black has only just made it's appearance with Bones IV, so we're looking at quite a number of years between when they decided to redo the minis and when bones black was introduced :-)

Seeing as Bones V included a few models originally created in Bones I being recreated in Bones Black we may see this occurring as stock runs low for the more popular pieces in classic bones...

• Like 2