Sign in to follow this  
hewholurksatthethreshold

Its all in the Mind

“Perhaps all the people that were being sent down here were being used for labor. My guess is that the hallway on the left is where they keep the slaves, though I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that some were being used for sacrifices.” Looking back the way they came Marias thinks for a long moment. It seems too easy to get out for the workmen, nothing between them and the door, other then the guards that are probably watching them, and the glyph on the door, and the Gnolls guarding the entrance. “The left passage is most likely our destination first, let us get the innocents out of the battle first.” With that he turns the group down the left passage.

With Ka’ree and Gyut in the lead you make you way down the hall. You can tell there is something wrong in Ka’rees movements, he is clearly nervous. The monotonous sound of the workmen gets closer. You can see that there are two twenty foot halls leading off from this hall as it continues but the sounds of the workmen are straight ahead.

“What do you smell from the other halls,” you ask the kobold.

He looks back at you and shakes his head afraid to make any noise. You continue until you begin to see the workmen. The passage turns so you can only see a few and it all seems quite normal. They are chipping away at the stone walls of the cave to expand it. But something bothers you from the start. They are working slow and steady. Sneaking even closer you can see that they are nearly naked and covered in strange tattoos.

Then you hear a voice from around the corner. It is a strong voice, calm and commanding. “You stop. Strike there. You, move the rock into the barrow.”

Slow and steady, requiring commands, chaos magic, religious symbols, it all starts to come together in Marias’ mind. Memories start coming back, flashes of walking soulless dead. They are slower then ghouls but dangerous in large numbers. He raises his hand to stop the group, not wanting to produce any more noise and hoping the digging will hide any of their own normal noises. He signals the group to move back down the hallway they came. Once a safe distance back he addresses the group keeping his voice low. “Those were zombies I think and the person issuing the commands a foul user of evil magics. I would venture a guess that he is not the White Bone One. This seems a menial task and I doubt he would waste his time on it. My guess is they are creating some kind of temple down here for their evil ways. The one we are looking for is probably in the other direction, and I have a feeling we will be seeing more undead before this is said an done, so be cautious.” With that he leads the group down the right hand passage and away from the undead.

Your admission silences the group. There is only a series of collective nods and the group carefully makes its way down the right passage. You can see it turns left and begins to slope downwards. Where the hall turns there are two doors, one at the end of the hall and one on the right wall. Ka’ree sniffs at the doors. “This one goes down again,” he points to the door on the right. “I think people live in this one,” he points to the door straight ahead. The doors are well made but only the one on the right is designed for strength.

Marias looks at both doors carefully and considers. “The heavy door is probably used to house the prisoners and the zombies when they are not in use. The door is obviously meant for strength and whoever put it there doesn’t want it broken through easily. The other door would probably be the living quarters of the acolytes. My guess is that down this sloping corridor we will find the White Bone One’s temple and/or his living quarters. I’m starting to think we may have to kill him before we can get anyone out of here, and they are probably safer where they are then with us trying to escape. We have the element of surprise on our side, I suggest we use it.” He nods down the corridor that continues to slope down and awaits to see if the rest of the group agrees with him before he continues.

Gyut pushes his way passed you. “Too much talk. I am here to kill the White Bone One.” He stalks off down the slope and you all follow.

Soon however, you begin to here gentle chanting. The corridor becomes a T again and to the left you hear the chanting to the right only more corridor.

“I will kill him in his own temple,” the gnoll looks to make down the left hallway but hesitates a moment to make sure you are all coming with him.

Ka’ree whispers. “I think there may be four of five of them down the left.”

Marias listens to the chanting for a moment and wonders what kind of foul ceremonies these humans are up to down here. Outloud he addresses the Gnoll. “Listen Gyut, I know you have some payback to give, and from what I can tell it wouldn’t surprise me to find out that it was this White Bone One that sold you off to the Hobgoblins. But we are going to do this my way, I do not want another repeat of what happened in the Hobgoblin caves. We work as a unit and we take out the biggest threat first, then deal with his disciples. Five of them together is too much for us, who knows what kind of magic they are capable of calling down, let’s take the right passage and see if we can find the chambers of this White Bone One first. Stealth and surprise are our allies right now, if we blow them attacking those five down there then we will have a running battle the rest of the way, and I don’t think any of us are up for that.”

Gyut growls at you and proceeds to march down the right passage. You sigh and lead the party behind him. Soon you reach a door on your right and the passage continues into what looks like another chamber up ahead. The door is not designed for strength. Ka’ree gives it a quick sniff. “Another living chamber…”