Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
hewholurksatthethreshold

Its all in the Mind

Recommended Posts

His mind still not providing the answers he keeps asking it the Elf looks down the passage towards the sound of the fighting. He weighs the situation slowly and then turns to the Orc first. “If we go down that way,” he indicates pointing in the direction of the sounds, “we are dead. I do not know about you but I am in no condition for a running fight and unlike the guards we killed these will be armed and probably armored. Our Gnoll friend has stirred up the hornet’s nest.” He sighs. “Our options have become very limited. I would suggest,” he says looking at the cave work, “that there is a possibility, however remote, that these caves may be much larger then the Hobgoblins use. Maybe there is another way out if we go deeper into the caves. Is there anyway you can tell which of these three passages have the stalest air coming from them?” he asks the Kobold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“I not sure,” the kobold replies. “The right passage maybe…but I think they are all being used.”

“We either join the fight now before it gets too big or run down that hall,” the orc says. “I would prefer to flee this place as soon as possible but you are probably right. The battle ahead already sounds too large for we three to handle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“I suggest we go to the right then, your Kobold friend can sneak up ahead so he can give us an idea of what we may be running into. Come back and warn us if you see any guards or anything we can’t sneak around, but don’t stray too far. We’ll see if we can pick up some food or clothing along the way. At the very least we can hide, I’m sure the free humans will also cause a commotion. We should move with speed but not with haste. Can’t afford to be sloppy now.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kobold begins his pattern of sniffing and scurrying and scuttles off ahead. As you work your way down the passage you notice that it looks less worked and more natural. Suddenly the kobold reappears. “There is a guard post ahead, four hobgoblins watching the other way.”

 

"Four, and by surprise. I think we can take them," the orc whispers. "But the question is what are they guarding against?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Your question is a very valid one but the alternative,” he says looking back the way they came, “is crystal clear. This is a random chance of death versus a sure chance of death. I say we take the random chance. We’ll sneak up as close as we can then charge them, don’t yell out any battle cries or anything because we don’t want to alert the ones behind us. If we can take the first two down quickly we’ll have a fighting chance.” Looking down the dark corridor that the Hobgoblins are guarding, the Elf thinks a few more moments before continuing. “If we can we should take their armor and any food they have. Obviously they are worried about what may be down there but that should get them off our backs at least. I don’t like this anymore then you do but right now it’s our best option. Unless you have a better plan?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Very well, a charge without a battle cry.” The orc then turns his attention to the kobold. “Ka’ree you are free now like us but our freedom is threatened once again. Will you fight with us as free peoples?”

The kobold looks heartened and slips a thin knife from his loin cloth. “Count to twenty and follow me in,” the kobold whispers before clenching the blade in his teeth and crawling on all fours towards the guard post.

Your twenty count seems to take forever. The Battle ahead is a dangerous one. Four armoured and well armed opponents vs. three half starved escaped prisoners, and you have twenty long seconds to think it over.

Finally you reach twenty and slowly creep up to the entry way as gently as you can. You peek in to see four more orange beasts dressed in metal. Cruel spears in their hands. They are on high alert for whatever it is that lurks beyond in the caverns. Luckily they are not paying any attention to what is behind them. Somehow that does not instill you with the greatest of confidence. Where is the kobold, you think to yourself?

You feel the orc’s hand on your shoulder. No time to worry about it now. He nodes and together you silently charge into the chamber. As you rush in you step on a loose bit of rock crunching it to the ground. Your heart sinks as a hobgoblin turns to see you and then shouts.

 

Your sword collides with the creatures shield and it slashes out towards you almost grazing your leg.

The orcs blow falls better. His blade collides with a hobgoblins shoulder causing a spray of blood as it cuts through its armor down to the flesh. But it is not enough to fell the beast. In short order you find yourselves surrounded by four angry hobgoblins. The head of a spear slaps against your leg leaving a welt as you try desperate to dodge their blows then suddenly the spear wielding hobgoblin stiffens, gasps then falls, a tiny kobold behind him, blood dripping from its knife.

The orc seems to have better luck than you as well. His blade strikes the one he wounded a second time, this blow is fatal.

Confidence swells up within you once again. This battle can be one. A blade swishs by your face. But now you are the hunter and you pounce. With a fake the hobgoblin misplaces his shield and you drive home a blow to its heart.

The last hobgoblin has gone berserk with panic his wild swings drive the orc back and back again. The orc is unwilling to attempt a counter strike preferring to tire out his opponent. But now the hobgoblin has exposed its back to you and there is little chance of error. With one blow then two the beast is down, its frenzy gone in a pool of blood.

"A good fight," the orc says to the elf, wiping its brow. "You will make a fine warrior one day."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realizing the extreme amount of noise that they just made the Elf knows that time is not a friend now. Trying to concentrate above the sound of the blood pounding in his head he looks at the Orc. “I don’t think we have much time, but we better not run down there completely unprepared, lets grab as much as we can, we’ll have to leave the armor but the shields and weapons and everything else here we can carry, and get out of here quickly before more come to investigate.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You grab everything that is loose that you can and run down the passageway until you feel you are far enough that any pursuing hobgoblins will be cautiously slow to approach. When you stop you realize that there is a doorway to our right and the passage continues onwards. The rock here is poorly hewn. The door is relatively new and hanging ajar. The kobold looks up at you and the orc. “This is not good. This is the smell of death, old death.

(you have managed to collect the following between the three of you: Three nearly full water skins, 2 large wooden shields, 4 spears, 2 additional longswords, six torches, 2 tinder boxes, (Note: hobgoblins have infravision and don’t really need tinder boxes and torches…I wonder why they would have them then?), two back packs, two bed rolls (which can be cut into crude clothes), two knifes and about five days worth of food.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeling that his stomach can not take more and feeling the effects of drinking the water quickly and with a huge thirst, the Elf is fully aware that they can not continue on without resting for much longer.

 

“We need to find a place to rest. Looks like whatever they were worried about came from behind that door. I feel the heaviness in the air as well, you can almost feel the undead crawling over your skin here. I suggest we go down the hallway, We know for sure that there was something behind that door, so let’s keep this uncertain death theory going for as long as possible.” Did I just say undead? I know what those are, walking corpses brought to life by foul magiks. Magic? Is that real? “We better get moving, they will probably give some chase and if they don’t, then I would worry more.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“I agree with you,” the orc says. “Undead are not to be engaged lightly.”

Once again the kobold goes forward on all fours sniffing carefully. Soon you reach an opening on the left of the hall into a half finished chamber. The floor is covered with bits of garbage. “The floor here has dried blood, almost like drag marks.” The kobold speaks up. “Something or someone was pulled from this room down the hall to the door.”

Further down the hall is another door. The kobold sniffs it carefully. “The stink of death fills these passages but it is weak behind this door.”

“This is all hobgoblin masonry,” the orc says. “Perhaps the hobgoblins were expanding in this section of the caves and uncovered something. Shall we open the door?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Looks like this is indeed something to do with the Hobgoblins. It was probably them that put those doors up. Whatever was down the hall came out hunting, doesn’t bode well for us but if we can find a place we can defend from maybe we can outlast it. Or maybe these caverns have another way out if we go further in, either way we know we can’t go back, so I suggest we go through this door. Since the door seems to be the path of least resistance we’ll go through the door. Lets do this cautiously, umm, you realize that infravision like you and I have won’t show us undead. I suggest we light one of these torches just in case.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The door initially appears to be stuck but after a couple of pushes you knock the garbage holding it on the other side and it opens. The chamber stinks but not of death, rather of filth. There are all sorts of tiny rat nests built up around the chamber. You can catch a rat here and there scurrying away.

“Mmm rat sounds good right about now,” the kobold says and proceeds to enter the room looking for a rat to catch.

“I would take just about anything right now,” the orc agrees with the kobold. “He looks at the door. It appears relatively solid. “Perhaps we can find something to reinforce the door in all this junk. I see broken barrels and crates. This must have been a storage room for the hobgoblins once.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scrunching up his nose the Elf considers the options before agreeing with his companions. “I guess this is the most defensible position we are going to find before we keel over. Let’s take a look around to see if we can reinforce that door then we’ll move some of this garbage to one side and then we can eat. Sound good?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You and the orc begin cleaning out an area. Actually some of the garbage is soft and seems like it would be great to use for extra bedding. Inside the garbage you come across an old iron hammer and a dozen nails. With them And the strongest pieces of wood that remain you make a makeshift reinforcing beams to hold the door against assault. It is not long before the kobold has caught five rats. You cook them over a torch. They taste fantastic, but the orc warns you not to eat to fast. Its not good for a starving body to eat too much. Before you read to sleep the kobold begins to urinate in a few select places in the room.

“There the rats wont bother us too much in the night now.”

“We should take watches,” The orcs says. “I will watch first, then the kobold and finally you since you don’t seem to know how to tell time in a cave.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Sounds like a good idea.” Says the Elf through a mouthful of rat. “I’ll take the last watch and then we can decide what to do when we have had a chance to clear our minds a bit and have a full stomach.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×