Sign in to follow this  
hewholurksatthethreshold

Its all in the Mind

Shaking his head the Elf has another word form in his head, another wisp of memory that he tries to grasp, not ghouls, ghasts. “Ghasts” he says out loud through the dry mouth and swollen tongue. “At least there is only one more unaccounted for. He gets up and moves over to the woman, checking for a pulse. “She doesn’t seem to be dead, is there anything we can do for her? The poison has probably worked its way through her system so I doubt we can suck it out.” Looking at the secret door and then the other door he turns to the Kobold, “You said the humans went down the other passage, looks like these things are using these passages to hunt, probably jumping on them from behind. We might be able to get some more information if we can bring her to consciousness, besides another fighter at this point might not be a bad idea considering what those things can do.”

“A human?” the orc spits. “What good is a human? She would betray us at a moments notice. Her people are nothing but thieves and cowards. They are even worse than elves. There is only one thing to do with humans, kill them and scatter their bones so that they do not reach Shakaree and rob us of the afterlife.”

Looking at the Orc the Elf sighs, “Listen, I don’t know why you hate humans or elves or anyone else right now, and quite frankly I don’t care. We have two enemies that have tried to kill us so far, one is those Hobgoblins back there that didn’t seem to care what race any of us were, and the other is these Ghasts, that feel pretty much the same way as the Hobgoblins. The fact of the matter is that we could use as many hands as we can get, we’ve gotten lucky in killing the first two, and quite frankly, if these humans hadn’t come down this way we would have fought three of those things at once. There are three of us here, you, me and Ka’ree. We are low on food, we are low on weapons, we have enemies all around us and we could use all the help we can get, even if we have to keep an eye on her. I don’t feel right about just leaving her here to die. Besides, if we leave her the Hobgoblins might catch her and find out about the dead Ghasts and direct them in which way we went. So I say we take her with us until we can get rid of her at a safe time.”

“Bah, she is your responsibility elf,” the orc spits. “Humans have done as much to my people as yours,” he grumbles as he walks over to the Kobold and prepares to depart. “Why I waste my time saving the lives of these creatures…”

The kobold comes over to you and offers you the bow and arrows as he is too short to use them. “Are we going through the secret door then? Or do we wait for her to wake up?”

Grabbing up the human woman, the Elf also takes the bow and the arrows from the Kobold. “Thank you Ka’ree.” He says gently to the little creature with a warm smile on his face. “I suggest we put some room between us and this area. Let’s hope that we sneak up on the last Ghast and not the other way around.” With that he lets the Orc lead them through the secret door.

The orc checks the exit out, seeing no sign of enemies. “Which way?” he asks the kobold.

Sniffing around, “the humans went to the right.”

“The then right it is.”

The kobold begins scouting ahead sniffing up and down the poorly worked stone. The abruptly he scurries back. “There is another door on the left and the passage continues. But there is something behind the door. And it sounds like its…feeding.”

“If it’s feeding then it has probably already killed the other two humans. No sense in fighting it if we don’t have to, besides, the fact that it is focusing on it’s meal may give us a good chance to sneak past it. It should also leave a deterrent for the Hobgoblins from following us. I say let’s avoid a fight and try and get down this corridor. We aren’t here to do the Hobgoblins work.” Finishes the Elf.

“Finally you are talking some sense, elf,” the orc agrees. The little group begins to quickly and quietly as possible make its way passed the door. By the time you reach twenty feet down the corridor you are all sighing with relief. The cave comes to a T-intersection.

“The caves beyond here are completely natural,” the kobold says. “They will be difficult for you large people to navigate and fight in.”

“The hobgoblins must have broken into here while expanding their cave network,” the orc says peeking down each passage. “Who knows where the ghasts came from but they certainly don’t grow in natural caverns. The hobgoblins must have broken into these caves and gone exploring. Is there any way to tell which way the ghasts came from?”

The kobold sniffs for a while, then creeps down each passage for a bit and sniffs some more. “They came from the right I think. The smell of death is stronger there. But they have been down the left also.”

“What do you think elf?”

“Any idea if these caves are going down or up? I suggest we take the left passage, no sense in assuming that there are only the three ghasts we encountered. For all we know there is some kind of unholy temple buried down here in that direction.” Indicates the Elf nodding to the right. “We are already in cramped spaces so our fighting is limited even more then it was to begin with. Let’s take a look down the left and only go to the right if we have no other options.” Unholy temples? Now where did that come from? I must be getting paranoid.

The Left passages begins to get smaller and smaller until it becomes almost impossible for you or the orc to get through. In the distance you can hear water rushing. "Water," says the orc. "Ka'ree why do you take a look if you can get through to the water and fill up our waterskin if it is drinkable."

“Looks like our decision has been made for us.” Says the Elf to the Orc. “We can wait here for the girl to wake up, I don’t want to be carrying her if we have to go down that right passageway. Who knows what’s waiting for us down there. Besides we have to wait for our Kobold friend to come back.”

The orc agrees to wait and wait some more when the kobold returns with fresh water. Everyone drinks their fill and the kobold scurries off to top off your supplies again. When the kobold returns you and the orc are busy eating.

You feed the unconscious girl some water and rest. After a time you find your eyes are heavy. Suddenly you jump awake grabbing instinctive for the dagger you once kept near your head at all times in another life, but there is nothing there now.

“The girl begins to stir,” the orc says. “You deal with her.”

You gather your thoughts, dreams quickly fading from memory…something abut the forest and running. No time for that now. You see the girl is shifting on her own. She lives and can move. That much is positive. You crawl over to her and feel her head, it is warm. She may be developing a fever. If only you had some medicine.

The girls eyes open. She blinks once, then again. Then she jumps back and hits her head on the rock wall. Grabbing her head she jumps to her feet and screams running right into the orc who is blocking her path. He grabs her arm, she looks up at him and screams again, desparate to tear herself free but lacking the strength. The orc is amused and lets he go falling right back into you again. She rolls to see the kobold and screams again. She looks around her like a trapped animal and seeing no escape she collapses into despair and weeps.

“We’re not going to hurt you.” Begins the Elf to the Human. “I don’t know what those Hobgoblins did to you or the terror of that Ghast, but if you keep screaming like that you’re going to bring more of them down on us and considering none of us want to end up on those chains again, or worse, I suggest you compose yourself and calm down.” The Elf watches her weep and offers her some of the food he was eating hoping she will calm down. “You remember me? I was the one that gave you and your friends the keys to free yourself. We can’t go back there, we have to push forward but you have to come along with us, if we leave you behind who knows what kind of beasts are wandering around here.”

She looks up at you from her arms then goes back to weeping. She reminds you of that human you had seen chained to the wall. The one that didn’t beg or seem to care about living anymore.

“Shut her up already before you bring down every beast that lives in this cave upon us,” the orc says disgusted.

“To go from hobgoblins to undead to elves and orcs,” she cries. “Can it get any worse!”

“Ha at least she knows who to fear,” the orc chuckles at her expense. “Bah what use is she to us? At best she is bait.”

She jumps to her feet. No tears left to cry, anger takes over. “I am not bait you disgusting green thing!”

“What did you call me?” the orc raises his hand to strike her. She stands her ground.

“Alright enough, both of you! Right now I don’t give a dang what any of you think of each other. I’m sick and tired of all this crap and I have no idea why I’m even here. I wake up chained to a wall and I would figure that those chained with me would want to work together to escape, once out if you don’t like each other then go your separate ways, but like it or not right now you are all each other has. And put your hand down,” the Elf says to the Orc, “what good is striking her going to do? Will that make her stop crying, will that make her fear you any less?” Turning to the human he continues, “and you, do you think insulting him like that is the best way to get out of this mess? What are you all, five years old? There is a Ghast back there that is itching to eat you, there are Hobgoblins that are getting their kicks by chaining you to walls and flaying you alive, and here you are throwing insults at each other. dang it that’s enough, I’m going down this hallway, back towards where those Ghasts came from and hoping that I can find a way out of here, either you come with me or you don’t, but quite frankly I’m sick and tired of this bickering. If you want to spend your time fighting stay here, if you want to get out of here come with me, but if you come then I don’t want to hear another word from you two!” At this point the Elf has raised himself as high as he can go in the cramped quarters and has taken a new edge to his voice, an edge of a Commander that is addressing his troops. He stares long at both of the Human and Orc awaiting their response.