Rignes

Reaper Wash question - Stone and Steel Washes

So, I see Reaper has 9311 - Stone Wash  and 9312 - Steel Wash.  I was wondering if someone can describe how these look?  I can draw direct parallels with  GW washed for the others reaper washes but these I'm not sure.  I usually just wash metals and stone with Nuln Oil and call it a day.

Thanks.

I do not have the Reaper washes but for what I know it's not a good idea to wash metals with a matt wash, like Nuln Oil is. It would be better to use a glossy wash, cause metal shines even in the shadows. 
So, maybe, Reaper Steel Wash is glossy, like Nuln Oil glossy version or the old Armour Wash from GW or Coat D'Arms.

• Like 1

Stone Wash is more like a thinned grey paint than a wash. I don't recommend it as a wash.

If I want a dark wet stone, I use Secret Weapon's Stone wash: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1353217/painting-tutorial-stone-secret-weapon-stone-wash

SWM also has a black Armor Wash. 

pic2474973.jpg

• Like 1

So, I have both Reaper Washes, but do not recall using the Stone wash much/at all. I did use the Steel wash and have a couple of times for a 'quick' armor look. I thought I would be using more, but frankly I have been too busy trying new techniques learned from this site ::):

I use the GW washes too, and the Reaper washes are not as sticky as the GW and seem to be less glossy/less shine (which I prefer). The Reaper Steel wash did not come out as glossy at all (at least over the flat Reaper Frost Blue I use it with - see below).

For for Steel wash (with Reaper Frost Blue) example was here is link to a post I did a while back.

• Like 1

I find the Steel wash works well as a final glaze over metal; kind of gives a greyish blue tone. I honestly have not used it as an actual wash yet though. This axe was glazed with the Steel Wash:

Kaegan - Barbarian Lord 1.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rignes said:

I get the impression that the Stone  and Steel wash items aren't must haves.

Honestly, most pre-made washes aren't. It is pretty easy to make your own wash in whatever color with just water, and if you want, some flow improver. I only have Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade for convenience.

• Like 1

Me too.  I used to mix my own but I just keep the main ones around because it's easy. 

Agrax Earthshade

Nuln Oil

Seraphim Sepia

Reikland Fleshshade

I probably don't even need all of those but anything else I just mix up something.  I was just curious about what a stone and steel wash was about.

• Like 1