Sign in to follow this  
bojesphob

Argent in need of some urgent... ahem... guidance :D

Been working slowly on my Bones 4 stuff, and started on the first of 2 Argents I have. I like how the metallic is turning out, of course it's pretty basic at the moment, but the blues I used for the non-metallic isn't doing anything for me. Actually, I hate it. The flash in the pic sort of makes it stand out more than it looks in person, and I am completely unhappy with the color choice. I need some thoughts on what I should repaint the blueish gray colors with. Green? Red? yellow? Tan? I can't decide, and I had originally thought this color would look good with it, and I'm just not feeling it. The wings are basically done in the same colors as well.

20191104_073303.jpg

Edited by bojesphob
  • Like 7

I think the problem is that you're trying a metallic and a chromatic look at the same time.

This is a difficult combination.

If I were you, I would choose to either paint him as a Metallic Dragon or a Chromatic Dragon.

Let's say you choose Metallic and you still want a blue for contrast, you could use a metallic blue like scale 75 Cobalt Blue.

Or if you choose Chromatic, then I would replace the metal for a darker blue and make a blue dragon.

Just a few ideas.

• Like 4

You could also take a Demi-Metallic approach.  Maybe go with darker blue on the areas you don’t like.  Mix your metallic and non metallic paints together.  You can go more metallic and lighter metallic color near the edges, and much darker with less metallic paint into the recesses.

• Like 6

Thanks! I do really like the silver color on him, it seems to fit. I do like the blue contrast, so Darcstaar, I may try your mixing of blue with the metallic idea. I have a dark blue color I love to use as a dark blue base (old GW Foundation paint called Necron Abyss) and I think I have a Reaper color that's similar as well. The blue to contrast seemed like a great idea, but I used the Trollkin colors from Privateer Press, which I've had good luck with on other stuff and it's just a muddled color combination when combined with this silver color.

• Like 2

So the problem here, from as much as I can tell, is a lack on contrast.

Your silver and blue both register as having the same value - that is they have the same amount of black/white in them, and so they read as a mid-tone.

Additionally, you are working in exclusively cool colors - silver metallics have a lot of blue/black bias, so so when you combine a cool blue-white, you are almost repeating the same color tone.

Let's take a look at a reference picture for a classic silver metallic dragon:

Image result for metallic dragons 5e

Notice how there is quite a variation of colors? You have warm yellow-bronze tones in the underbelly, with some added green tones to show the reflected surface of the grass. For the main body, there are blues (silver metallic) to warm-purples for the shadows of the silver. Again, classic contrast trick of Cool Colors - Warm Shadows; Warm Colors, Cool Shadows. This helps break up the monotony of a single color, or single value. Blues and Yellows often pair well together when higher contrast is desired.

Here's another picture that offers a bit more subdued approach:

Image result for d&d silver dragon

Again, bringing in a lot of other colors, some subtle browns working up to a very bright silver for the underbelly, but then contrasted with teal, purples, and blacks for the wings to contrast. The face and headcrest on both pictures both feature some brighter highlights to bring focus towards the face.

If it were me, I would add some warmth to the chest area with yellowish golds, and introduce some of the cool blue colors into the silver. This is, of course, if we are trying to sell the idea of it being an "ice" dragon that silver dragons tend to represent.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 2:02 PM, Al Capwn said:

So the problem here, from as much as I can tell, is a lack on contrast.

Your silver and blue both register as having the same value - that is they have the same amount of black/white in them, and so they read as a mid-tone.

Additionally, you are working in exclusively cool colors - silver metallics have a lot of blue/black bias, so so when you combine a cool blue-white, you are almost repeating the same color tone.

Let's take a look at a reference picture for a classic silver metallic dragon:

Image result for metallic dragons 5e

Notice how there is quite a variation of colors? You have warm yellow-bronze tones in the underbelly, with some added green tones to show the reflected surface of the grass. For the main body, there are blues (silver metallic) to warm-purples for the shadows of the silver. Again, classic contrast trick of Cool Colors - Warm Shadows; Warm Colors, Cool Shadows. This helps break up the monotony of a single color, or single value. Blues and Yellows often pair well together when higher contrast is desired.

Here's another picture that offers a bit more subdued approach:

Image result for d&d silver dragon

Again, bringing in a lot of other colors, some subtle browns working up to a very bright silver for the underbelly, but then contrasted with teal, purples, and blacks for the wings to contrast. The face and headcrest on both pictures both feature some brighter highlights to bring focus towards the face.

If it were me, I would add some warmth to the chest area with yellowish golds, and introduce some of the cool blue colors into the silver. This is, of course, if we are trying to sell the idea of it being an "ice" dragon that silver dragons tend to represent.

Thank you! This was exactly the sort of direction I was hoping for LOL I have an *ok* eye for colors. Most stuff I paint comes naturally and works pretty well, but I was stumped on this. I'll see what gold/bronze colors I currently have

• Like 3

It's been a little while since I have been able to paint, and finally got some free time the last few days. I decided I was going to try a more warm brown/yellow look for the wings, chest, and plates. The wings are what I was thinking for it, thoughts? I definitely like this combo better for the contrast than the blue that I started with.argentyellow.jpg

• Like 10

I think it looks really good! Gives a nice leathery feel to them, and now you have some temperature separation on the dragon too.

I would just make sure the face area is highlighted pretty bright to be the focus point when viewed from the front.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Al Capwn said:

I think it looks really good! Gives a nice leathery feel to them, and now you have some temperature separation on the dragon too.

I would just make sure the face area is highlighted pretty bright to be the focus point when viewed from the front.

That's the plan. I did a quick addition of the yellow to his face when I started the wings, but I'll probably add more once I get the wings done. What's amazing, though, is that to get that base yellow brown to cover well, I've had to use a LOT of the main color. At almost an entire bottle of... can't even think of what color of brown it is. I'll have to write that down, as I'm going to need to do an order for it from Reaper so I can finish things up.

Finally found a little bit of time to work on this again. I am liking the yellow, and have started to add some details to the armor plates. Still have quite a lot I want to do with it, but I am DEFINITELY liking this better than with the blue! Haven't decided what I want to do with the horns yet....

Thoughts?

Argent5.jpg

Argent6.jpg

• Like 10

I like it so far, since he has metallic scales, I wonder if a subtle bronze or copper wash over the yellow would be an idea.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bojesphob said:

Haven't decided what I want to do with the horns yet....

It is looking great! If it were me, I would make the horns the same color as your wing bone spurs to tie the materials together, with maybe just a hint of blue into the shadows to tie it to the tones of the scales. If it is too blue, it runs the risk of blending too well and then you are back to having separation and contrast issues.

The first picture reads really warm on the scales, could be just the lighting, but I would take a very light blue glaze over the scales, just to push it a bit cooler.

The back picture reads more blue, so if that is how it reads in real life, that looks good to me!

Edited by Al Capwn
  • Like 3