Sign in to follow this  
Jellyranger69

Straightening A Warped Limb?

Apologies if this has been covered, I didn’t have much luck with a topic search....

I purchased the incredible Shipwreck Revenant piece today, but his left arm ended up getting bent a little while in the package. Any tips on fixing this? I’ve heard tell of warm water, but I dunno....considered affixing a dowel or something to it with rubber bands and letting it sit for a while? Thanks I’m advance.

- Jelly 

Boiling water will often straighten a bent part out all by itself (leave the piece in the water for long enough for the heat to travel through the entire piece; thing things take less time). If that doesn't do it immediately, soften the plastic with boiling water, then hold it in position while it cools.

Many people suggest shock cooling, which will set the part very quickly, but IME slow cooling has less chance of the part reverting to its bent state all by itself. (Slow cooling allows a bit more time for the internal stresses to release as the piece cools.)

Note that the melting point of Bones PVC is much higher than you can reach with boiling water. I've boiled many regular Bones minis and never had a problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/8/2019 at 12:36 AM, Jellyranger69 said:

I’ve heard tell of warm water, but I dunno....considered affixing a dowel or something to it with rubber bands and letting it sit for a while?

Never tried that (I don't have that kind of patience). But given that the bend likely happened due to the part being pressed against the packing, which is in essence that same thing as the unbending with a dowel, I don't see why it would not work.

That saids, everyone recommends the hot water treatment, or alternatively the hot air treatment with a hair dryer, and it works quite well. It is also fast and can be done while cleaning the mini. Also the water does not have to boil but it has to be hot enough to burn your hands so use tongs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IME, chopsticks work great for retrieving plastic minis from hot water. Not sharp, so they don't damage the mini, and easy to manage (if you have experience with chopsticks).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1