Rainbow Sculptor

Bones V Faun/Satyr

Very nice!

Do you find that you save time posing first with ZSpheres vs using a T pose and symmetry for making basic anatomy and equipment, then posing? 

• Like 2

Please do me a favor and don't make these awesome. I am not planning on getting the Greek Expansion, and if these turn out really cool, then I will either have to rob a bank for another $50... or deal with the trauma of missing out on them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, GHarris said:

Very nice!

Do you find that you save time posing first with ZSpheres vs using a T pose and symmetry for making basic anatomy and equipment, then posing? 

I think building and then posing takes way more time than posing first but that could also just be me. My brain thinks illustratively so it's hard to picture the end result if I'm not building it up in pose already, if that makes sense. Short answer: for me? Yes it saves time. Universally? Maybe, maybe not. 

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I just want to say I'm a fan of your sculpts!

Love the Vampires and the Nereids to name a few!

Thank you!! Hopefully I can add a few more memorable ones to that list!

3 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Please do me a favor and don't make these awesome. I am not planning on getting the Greek Expansion, and if these turn out really cool, then I will either have to rob a bank for another $50... or deal with the trauma of missing out on them.

Not making any promises, might want to start looking into a getaway driver! XD

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Just give in now, it's easier on the mind.  The wallet can be soothed later. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

That satyr is looking fantastic!

And Martin Abel is a great source of inspiration. I got his most recent art book and it's filled with things that would make great miniatures. ::D:

• Like 3

1648579630_SatyrWIP4.JPG.a09851dd59a9f837871f8c35e7a6d30d.JPG

So I'm just continuing to render this one out. Starting up at the top with the horns, a simplified and exaggerated interpretation of the texture on goat horns. I started with delineating the larger chunks while it was still very low polycount. Then I bumped up the resolution and added extra ridges and indentations in between the larger sections using the Orb Crack brush.

I changed the face a bit as well. Ron and I discussed the more bestial design of the nose in Izzy's art which we both liked so I pulled the bridge out more, put a wider gap between the eyebrows and brought the tip to more of a V.

The design on the chestplate is a circular leaf pattern. The leather overlay (kind of like a gorget) that connects the shoulder pieces has a green man design. I drew out the design first with the orb crack brush then masked off my pattern, inverted the mask, and pulled the whole thing out to create more depth.

Still quite a bit left to do on this guy. The fur texture on the lower half, the weapon, his bag and pipes. Everyone in my house has been under the weather so between taking care of sick babies, not having energy myself, and the medicine making me foggy, my work has been very slow. Hoping to get this guy finished up tomorrow and start on the Faun! 

• Like 17

I really love this guy's face. Definitely on my want list.

Are you going to do more to his sword? Right now the point is sweeping up more like a cutlass or machete (which is admittedly what the original concept art does), rather than the downward sweep of the falcata in your photo references. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I really love this guy's face. Definitely on my want list.

Are you going to do more to his sword? Right now the point is sweeping up more like a cutlass or machete (which is admittedly what the original concept art does), rather than the downward sweep of the falcata in your photo references. 

Yeah I'll be refining it. I had blocked in the shape from memory just as a place holder but after receiving hey reference image I'll be adjusting the shape and probably completely redoing the handle. Thanks for the keen eye!

• Like 5

I love these WIP threads - please keep doing them if you have the time to.

Not only os it fascinating to see the process, it really puts the spotlight on these new sculpts and lets us really see them in detail.  There’s so much in this KS that it’s really easy to overlook how much amazing stuff is in there.  Until you posted the high res images of the kid adventurers I don’t think most people really appreciated how great those sculpts are.

I’m wondering what else you’ve got in your queue now!  The female hellborn paladin in the FF, or the slithe by any chance?  I’d love to see your take on the concept art for those!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rubegon said:

I love these WIP threads - please keep doing them if you have the time to.

Not only os it fascinating to see the process, it really puts the spotlight on these new sculpts and lets us really see them in detail.  There’s so much in this KS that it’s really easy to overlook how much amazing stuff is in there.  Until you posted the high res images of the kid adventurers I don’t think most people really appreciated how great those sculpts are.

I’m wondering what else you’ve got in your queue now!  The female hellborn paladin in the FF, or the slithe by any chance?  I’d love to see your take on the concept art for those!

I'm really glad people are enjoying these threads, I really like sharing and talking about this stuff. There are a LOT of figures and so many amazing things in the KS that it is easy to overlook the smaller figures for sure!

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 9

Fur seems to be one of those things that people are always asking about in ZBrush. Like everything else there's a million ways to do it and you kind of have to figure out what works best for you and your product. What works for digital renders may not work once printed. What works at 75mm may not look good, or paint well, at 32mm. With that said, I've developed an approach to rendering fur that I like and that seems to work well at standard miniature scale so I thought I'd share in case it helps someone on their projects.

Step 1: Blocking In The Layers

980307334_FurStep1.thumb.JPG.fa8ad46e180344339aa0c62317247cc2.JPG Using the clay builder brush I draw in the layers and sort of map out the flow of the fur around the form.

Step 2: Breaking Out Chunks

783532141_FurStep2.thumb.JPG.822247f859167cbd773c31b647a593b0.JPG 

I'm taking the Orb Crack brush (could also use Dam Standard or any other drawing brush) and i'm breaking up the layers into smaller chunks and defining edges. To make the ridges i just hold alt while I draw which inverts the effects of the brush.

Step 3:

175497291_FurStep3.thumb.JPG.6d7edbd50dec10f8cde23c806bbd5a4e.JPG 

I smooth everything out. I know what you're thinking, you just RUINED all that work! Trust me, there's a method to my madness. The clay builder leaves a weird dotted texture that I don't want and this eliminates that but it also blurs some of the layers so it's more natural and less striated. 

Step 4:

907359629_FurStep4.thumb.JPG.fd3cec46063b378f6089bd076573e426.JPG 

Back to my Orb Crack brush to really refine my hairs and texture. I'm looking at real goats for reference but also just letting the flow come from what I already laid down. I'm working both positively and negatively meaning i'm carving into shapes as well as lifting material out of them. Once I've finished all this more refined texture i'll use my Move brush to make sure the overall shape of the leg matches the concept art.

Step 5: Silhouette

146972451_FurStepFive.JPG.595b42db4193722e0474caf03a1fe4b2.JPG The last step I do is to pull out some tufts of hairs just on the ends with my move brush making sure to give them an upward curl. I'm looking at the overall silhouette here to make sure the texture is reading the way I want when looking at the figure as a whole. This also makes the fur feel more organic and "messy". That's it, that's how I do fur! You can change the type of fur you're rendering by using different brush sizes and stroke lengths in the initial block out phase. For longer stringy fur you might want a small brush size and long strokes. For more puffy fur you might use a medium to large brush size with short strokes and closer layers. Here's what our Satyr looks like now...

2142390284_SatyrWIPFive.JPG.52164b876f151829d92d606d957890f7.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

This guy's looking great!  Fur does seem to be a tricky thing to do in digital sculpting.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how this guy turns out.  it's going to be a long 18 months. :P

• Like 2