• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/12/2019 at 9:15 PM, Rainbow Sculptor said:

615902728_FaunIzzyConceptArt.thumb.jpg.cf29ee295cd176dd39a803322e5900d0.jpg

1677609607_FaunWIP2.JPG.b4c89ab11ddb71e64f515cac3e682a11.JPG

I used a new process for making horns this time and I really like how it came out.

I like the new horns a lot too!  The horns in Izzy’s art have a non-circular cross section - not conical / round sectioned.  They’re more like 7 or 10 in the image below than like 1, 9, or 11 (this is sort of what your male faun’s horns look like).

8E40F710-C0CC-446F-A98F-6D6E9A418247.thumb.jpeg.8ae7d362ef1c212f55af8d819e2600d4.jpeg

I think that more faceted or lobed shape a really cool, more interesting look, and I think you’ve captured it well in this new sculpt.  Izzy’s have more of a front/back, where yours looks more lobed - both are cool, and I like them both better than the round shape.

I noticed that on the male faun, and it’s one thing I preferred in the concept art. Izzy’s horns are very non-circular, and have an almost reptilian looking spine ridge along their backsides that looks wicked.

I didn’t mention it because I didn’t want to nitpick when I liked your sculpt so much otherwise.  If you could redo his horns now that you’ve learned a way to model them differently, I think it might be even better.

Another thing on the male - I thought the pan flute had been dropped, but I see in today’s update with the turnaround video that it’s attached to his belt now.  It’s just not clearly visible in your stills here.  In the concept art, it was strapped to his forearm.  Is there a reason that was changed?  I like the atypical forearm access mounting location - so much stuff hangs on minis’ belts.  It might not look right at manufacturable scales, but that’s another cool detail I was sorry to see go.

Thanks again for sharing your WIPs, and please consider my questions / suggestions as nothing more than that.  I don’t know much about sculpting so I’m no one to criticize, and I love all of the sculpts of yours I’ve seen.  April 2021 is too far away!

• Like 7
On 11/16/2019 at 3:28 AM, rubegon said:

I like the new horns a lot too!  The horns in Izzy’s art have a non-circular cross section - not conical / round sectioned.  They’re more like 7 or 10 in the image below than like 1, 9, or 11 (this is sort of what your male faun’s horns look like).

8E40F710-C0CC-446F-A98F-6D6E9A418247.thumb.jpeg.8ae7d362ef1c212f55af8d819e2600d4.jpeg

I think that more faceted or lobed shape a really cool, more interesting look, and I think you’ve captured it well in this new sculpt.  Izzy’s have more of a front/back, where yours looks more lobed - both are cool, and I like them both better than the round shape.

I noticed that on the male faun, and it’s one thing I preferred in the concept art. Izzy’s horns are very non-circular, and have an almost reptilian looking spine ridge along their backsides that looks wicked.

I didn’t mention it because I didn’t want to nitpick when I liked your sculpt so much otherwise.  If you could redo his horns now that you’ve learned a way to model them differently, I think it might be even better.

Another thing on the male - I thought the pan flute had been dropped, but I see in today’s update with the turnaround video that it’s attached to his belt now.  It’s just not clearly visible in your stills here.  In the concept art, it was strapped to his forearm.  Is there a reason that was changed?  I like the atypical forearm access mounting location - so much stuff hangs on minis’ belts.  It might not look right at manufacturable scales, but that’s another cool detail I was sorry to see go.

Thanks again for sharing your WIPs, and please consider my questions / suggestions as nothing more than that.  I don’t know much about sculpting so I’m no one to criticize, and I love all of the sculpts of yours I’ve seen.  April 2021 is too far away!

You're totally right that the horn style is different in the Satyr than the original concept art. I liked Izzy's flatter style as well but there were concerns that it would be too thin for printing/casting. I don't think I'll be redoing them unless told to do so. Material limitations aside I think they would be cool and would probably do pretty well in metal. 
The pan flutes were actually always intended to be on the belt. She drew them out of "proper" perspective so that I would know what to put over there but they were not meant to be strapped to the forearm. That is a cool idea though and definitely something to consider in any future bard projects! 

Thanks for the feedback and don't be shy about chipping in your thoughts/ideas/critique. I like making improvements when possible and it's very useful to hear how something is reading as opposed to the echo chamber of my brain while creating alone. You've got a good eye and those insights don't just benefit me but other creators that can hopefully learn from my mistakes and improve on my process. <3

• Like 6
On 5/3/2021 at 2:24 PM, xKataklyzmx said:

Theses are both gorgeous models, are these STL's being sold anywhere?  I would love to purchase the Female Faun's model 

No. These are models that are about to be delivered in the Bones 5 Greek Odyssey expansion. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

No. These are models that are about to be delivered in the Bones 5 Greek Odyssey expansion. 

I'm getting those!

• Like 1