TaleSpinner

The Making of the Bones V Goroloth

I started out by blocking out the areas where I wanted the major features of the sculpt, using the Dam Standard brush*.  In the art work from Izzy, there is a line that I think was caused from it being a composite of two different illustrations, mocked up together, though I can't be sure.  I decided that this looked a bit like a carapace, and having always been a fan of the ancient armored fish, I decided to go with it.

g05.jpg.8d0471bba719dedf05ea47eeeda2ec27.jpg

Next, I masked out the location I wanted the back fins and pulled them out from the body using the Move brush.  Masks are highly useful in ZBrush, allowing you to freeze one area, while working on another.  I use them a lot.  That said, I wouldn't likely do the fins this way, had I understood the program better.  Now, I'd make the fins as separate subtools and merge them in, but back then, I didn't even know how to make a subtool, or what to do with it if I did.  The amount of new neurological pathways I have laid down in the past three months learning this program much be considerable.

g06.jpg.3879e471821a7904690bc9a5aaab19bb.jpg

I then did the same for the tail fins and began roughing in more body features.  at this stage in the game I was doing almost everything with the Move, Inflate, and Dam Standard brushes.

g07.jpg.a7ed393b78e2e0fc72b2b1d13be86f96.jpg

Here you can see an example of masking; the brown parts are masked so I can work o the spines without affecting the fin membranes.

g08.jpg.bde9c0cb520fccd679adca45b48907df.jpgg09.jpg.62d96f44d0c0e1b69fd04699237f9335.jpg

Next I pulled out the head, added volume using the Clay brush, then pulled out and shaped the fins and tentacles.  The later was definitely done the hard way; Gene would later show me a better way to do this, but for now, this was all I knew.  I also started pulling out suckers and spines on the tentacles, but all that would go away soon as I cut off and discarded the tentacles in the next step.  They were good practice anyway.

g10.jpg.91a0b73239c055db7bab4951aad8616a.jpgg11.jpg.15d966dfdbcc28c080976c40dbc4c73b.jpg

Next time, we hit ReaperCon and all the knowledge I got therein.

* A Rant about ZBrush nomenclature:

Spoiler

So the naming conventions of Z-Brush annoy the crap out of me.  EVERYTHING seems to be named and labeled as if the designer was purposefully trying to confuse the most people possible. I know it evolved from a 2D program, but still.  Here are a few examples from the perspective of a guy coming at this from analog sculpting and 30 years of CAD experience:

• Tools are called Brushes
  • Sculpts are called Tools
  • Parts of sculpts are called Subtools, unless they aren't; they could also be Polygroups
  • Textures are called Alphas
  • Paint schemes are called Textures
  • The transpose wheel found in other CAD systems is called the Gizmo, unless you toggle it off when it becomes that Transpose Line

That is just a sampling of the nomenclature snafus throughout the program. It is really quite annoying.

• Like 21

Just before ReaperCon, Gene had taught me how to subdivide the model and re-project it.  The model prior to this was done mirrored on the X axis.  This allowed me to sculpt the bilateral features across the body using the symmetry feature of ZBrush.  Once I had the basic forms done, then I needed to pose the tail into it's active curved form.  This entailed a rather complex procedure of mesh reduction and projection on a duplicate until the mesh was simple enough to handle the reposing; then a return to the original detail level.  It was all very complicated and I have only done it once, so I would struggle to explain it all right now; I have notes though! ::D:  Prior to starting this process, I decided to ditch the tentacles I had created, as parts of them would not pose well.  Here is the model during the posing:

g12.jpg.fce6c9aba5559774afaa914986987b17.jpg

Then I created the tentacles as subtools using Zmodeler in Zbrush (another great Gene lesson). I forgot to take pictures, but there was a point during ReaperCon where all four tentacles stuck straight out from its head like giant spikes (I got some strange looks that day).  Before adding too much detail into them, I posed them as follows.

g14.jpg.9662175d395f658629c017aa1c87ebb8.jpgg13.jpg.3c5b495d59a7af6147ccf7f7cf4b8aa5.jpg

g15.jpg.36c39787e3b2a0367b5a9474b3d21b28.jpg

Next I turned symmetry back on and put eye sockets in its head.  Then using spheres, added the eyeballs. Then I touched up the skin around the eyeballs to give it the look I wanted.

g16.jpg.63b8d4126ec356ad2e4f153d9955fd93.jpg

Next post, I'll cover texturing and tentacle details.

• Like 21

I'm a big fan of prehistoric animals and seamonsters, the Goroloth reminds me a bit of the Dunkleosteus ( which is in the Dark Depths Set!! AAAARRROOO!!!!) one of my favorite fish!

I want it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm a big fan of prehistoric animals and seamonsters, the Goroloth reminds me a bit of the Dunkleosteus ( which is in the Dark Depths Set!! AAAARRROOO!!!!) one of my favorite fish!

I want it!

I am extremely jealous of Jason on that one.  I was preparing to sculpt a Dunkleosteus myself; figured I'd offer it to Reaper at some point.  I even took loads of pictures of the fossils of the one at the Chicago Field Museum.  I was so bummed when I found out that they actually did want one, but Jason got to do it.  I mean, good for him, but...:down:  I better get going on a Gogonopsid before someone else gets that one before me too.

After discussing the armor with Izzy at ReaperCon, we decided to go with a lobster-like feel to it.  I started out painstakingly making areas of more and less texture by dotting it with the Dam Standard.  As I got going though, I realized that my detail distinction was way too fine to survive the printing and casting process, so I turned it up to 11 and really went to town with deep pits and spikes.  It was rather fun. This texture would have been very difficult to achieve in putty, so it was freeing to try something new.

g17.jpg.31cf69abaec47d25615cc7e25114df87.jpgg18.jpg.8e747bf21de67e36d83ee9b42b38fed6.jpg

I also spent a lot of time going over the whole model, adding details, sharpening lines, adding surface textures, deepening the light organs on the side, adding the stinger on the tail, and adding striations to the fins with the Orb Crack brush.  Finally, I added the suckers and claws to the tentacles.  For the suckers I masked out the rings on the surface, inverted the mask, then used the inflate brush to pull them out of the tentacles.  This worked great, but was not perfect.  It took hours of tweaking them with the Move brush to get them looking the way I wanted them too.  The claws were easier.  I sculpted one from a cone and then imported it.  Then I copied it and tweaked each one into place and size. I also sculpted a tri-part beak for it.

g23.jpg.0cd201a7c2f1cf198e910ebe8ebbc2e4.jpg

I just needed to make a base.  I wanted the model supported on two tentacles, two fins and brushed up on a rock by its belly.  Sculpting rocks in ZBrush was harder than I had expected.  It is such an ingrain thing for me in putty, but I had to come at it in a different way here.  For the floor, I used a alpha that added the texture, but varied the size of the brush.  After that, all I had to do was to fit it to the base, fit up its parts correctly for printing, and prepare the model to be sent to Reaper.  Here were the prof shots I sent to Ron:

g28.jpg.ea45dd010c519e85dce12d84539ff28e.jpg

g25.jpg.cb8e65b6d8acc12316b41a7ec0d2111e.jpg

g26.jpg.3bc759dfd75d92cef95acf06b3455e3d.jpg

g29.jpg.8d13e874397fbbfb98fda6ef7de895d1.jpg

g27.jpg.c0530a0781e1be1420b328f6efbabff8.jpg

And that's all for this one! I hope you enjoyed the process.  I am immensely proud of this one.  I proved to myself that not only could I learn and sculpt digitally, but keep my style intact as well (something I was worried about).

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

I love it, it looks like it swoops over the seafloor only to get up again with more speed later.

Also..Gorgonopsid? Do it, you already have one customer here!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Maybe the only one.  Most people look at me like I'm speaking gibberish when I wax poetic about Permian animals. U also want to do an Dimetredon and maybe some of its lesser know relatives.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Maybe the only one.  Most people look at me like I'm speaking gibberish when I wax poetic about Permian animals. U also want to do an Dimetredon and maybe some of its lesser know relatives.

I love the Permian and the Cambrian, so many fantastic creatures, we all love fantasy monsters, and those actually existed!!!

A while ago I found a small silicone mold to make horshoecrabs with, in 28mm those will be big! A creature that still lives now and was around more then 400 billion years ago!

I got a Schleich Dimetrodon which I will repaint and a tiny metal Ral Partha one, still, I would love a detailed 28mm one in metal or Black Bones.

Also Edaphosaurus, Scutosaurus, Tiktaalik, Anomalocaris, Opabinia, Marrella etc

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:
23 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Maybe the only one.  Most people look at me like I'm speaking gibberish when I wax poetic about Permian animals.

Two now. 

I had no idea what they were until now, but Gorgonopsid's look like they would be cool "alien" riding beasts or pack animals for my sci-fi skirmish squads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, kristof65 said:

Two now. 

I had no idea what they were until now, but Gorgonopsid's look like they would be cool "alien" riding beasts or pack animals for my sci-fi skirmish squads. 

I always thought that an oversized version would be a perfect mount for an orc.

Related image

(Love the Scutesaurus too.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I love the Permian and the Cambrian, so many fantastic creatures, we all love fantasy monsters, and those actually existed!!!

Same! The best monsters are the real ones!

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

You've got at least one other taker with me. Prehistoric animals are fascinating. ::D:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I want to see the weird stuff from the Cenozoic: Spoon-billed mastodon, thylacosmilus, titanoboa, entelodont, sivatherium, amphicyon, .... Who needs improbable fantasy creatures when we have improbable real creatures?

https://accpaleo.wordpress.com/2015/03/25/35-cenozoic-creatures-as-awesome-or-even-more-so-than-dinosaurs/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1