HolkDiggity

WIP: Converting a Dark Dwarf into an Azer (44010)

Hey, all!

Over the course of Bones 5, there were a few models that I was hoping for. I would say that Reaper totally exceeded my expectations and covered about 90% of my personal hopes. One of the things that wasn't in there was an Azer. For those of you who don't know, an Azer is a creature from the plane of fire, and they resemble Dwarves. They are so hot that their heads are covered in flames, and often this heat causes their weapons to be set aflame as well.

Since I had an extra Dark Dwarf Pounder from my November order, I figured that I'd try my hand at a conversion. I have exactly zero experience with sculpting other than filling gaps or making a rock or two, but I have YouTube, so why not? The first thing that I did was get the model and choose a base to put it on. I went with a simple flagstone base from Secret Weapon.

1.thumb.jpg.9d9c82452607ce8a814a7c0b8846e30e.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.0af62933577c8cc8e15ae4d8fd631c1c.jpg

Next, I shaved off and filed down the little "3 Nail" sigil that these dudes wear. I like that Sigil just fine, but its more representative of Duergar than an Azer, so off it comes. I also clipped away the oval base and filed the feet to be flat.

3.thumb.jpg.3590c0904bb226365e198d6963641b2f.jpg

Next, I washed the model and pinned it to a cork. I also washed the base and drilled a hole for the pin, and then stuck that on a cork as well. Once the model was dry, I mixed up some Green Stuff and followed along with a step-by-step for fire that I found online. Basically, you start with a cone and stick it down. I put it on the Dwarf's head, and then used a thin tool to push down the edges of the cone into the head and shoulders. Then, I used tweezers to twist and pull the top of the cone into a sort of whirlwind. Then, dipping the tweezers in water to keep them from sticking, I took sections of the Green Stuff and pulled outward and twisted. Once I had the flames the way I wanted them, I went back in with the tool and made more indentations in the fire. I did the same thing with the flames on the weapon.

4.thumb.jpg.c6f4e4b646332245327b51f5562247a6.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.50c91407257b68f9563058e31c5e3ce3.jpg

I'm waiting for him to dry and cure right now, and then I'll get on to priming him and painting him up this weekend! Stay tuned!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Today I primed up the little guy and got to work!

184065698_AzerPrimeFront.thumb.jpg.9624144823fa8d78a84f15401804ce01.jpg

1360741796_AzerPrimeBack.thumb.jpg.f613690c4425c7ccc4217d8b2a8aead2.jpg

Once primed, I base coated most of him with Blue Liner. I figured I'd use that as the cool shadow color, and work up pretty much everything from there. For the armor, I chose Coal Black because its my favorite color. For the flesh, I started with Dusky Skin Shadow with a bit of the Blue Liner mixed in. I worked up the flesh, and then the wood, and then took to the armor. This is where I made my first mistake. Instead of doing the armor as NMM like I should have, I thought I'd try and save time by incorporating the OSL into the NMM. It turns out that I'm not quite ready for something that advanced, so I pulled back a bit and moved on for the time being. I went to the hair and weapon and started with Yellow Liner, covering the whole thing. Next, the Lava Triad, working backward. Finally, I hit the very edges with Ashen Brown mixed with a tiny bit of Brown Liner for that cooling superheated metal look. I base coated the skirt in Soft Blue and decided to stop there for the day. I want to come back to it with fresh eyes and try to correct my course with the armor.

522893805_AzerPaintDay1F.thumb.jpg.b0bdbb9ad564c6263a6435d562af70ad.jpg

1512518541_AzerPaintDay1B.thumb.jpg.4daaeff9d30a9e119c8eb46ab289ecdb.jpg

• Like 12

The sculpt turned out great!  If I needed an azer mini, I’d be very happy to have one like yours turned out.

That does look like a very challenging painting problem though.  I wouldn’t know where to begin painting that armor as NMM with strong OSL from the flames.

I think the glowing red metal of the hammer looks very convincing.  I feel like it’s getting lost in the flames though, especially from the front.  I think it needs more contrast, so maybe the metal of the hammer should be darker - less red hot - so the flames are more distinct.  Also maybe the flames should be brightest right where they touch the metal, and then fade to red closer to the flame tips.  Something kind of like this.

3EBB39D1-BE21-461D-9266-7C45B6510EF2.thumb.jpeg.cc39a46584dcfaf5a4cc7e96050bed57.jpeg

Please take all of that with a big grain of salt - I’ve never done anything like this.  I just think those sculpted flames are getting a bit lost with the similar colors to the hammer and want to see them pop out a bit more.

Congrats on trying something new and doing so well with it!  I’m trying to do that everyday and it feels great when it all comes together. :winkthumbs:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2019 at 2:09 AM, rubegon said:

The sculpt turned out great!  If I needed an azer mini, I’d be very happy to have one like yours turned out.

That does look like a very challenging painting problem though.  I wouldn’t know where to begin painting that armor as NMM with strong OSL from the flames.

I think the glowing red metal of the hammer looks very convincing.  I feel like it’s getting lost in the flames though, especially from the front.  I think it needs more contrast, so maybe the metal of the hammer should be darker - less red hot - so the flames are more distinct.  Also maybe the flames should be brightest right where they touch the metal, and then fade to red closer to the flame tips.  Something kind of like this.

3EBB39D1-BE21-461D-9266-7C45B6510EF2.thumb.jpeg.cc39a46584dcfaf5a4cc7e96050bed57.jpeg

Please take all of that with a big grain of salt - I’ve never done anything like this.  I just think those sculpted flames are getting a bit lost with the similar colors to the hammer and want to see them pop out a bit more.

Congrats on trying something new and doing so well with it!  I’m trying to do that everyday and it feels great when it all comes together. :winkthumbs:

The back is definitely my favorite part. Its going to take me some time to finish this one. Probably a few weeks of tweaking and adjusting for the light placement. Thanks for your comments! I'm keeping them in mind while I work on him!

• Like 2