PhantomAsh

A Dozen Troubling Rumours (RPG PDFs)

Phillip Reed has launched another Kickstarter to add to his recently finished campaign "A Dozen Sinister Rumours", which ended up giving out seventeen system-agnostic PDFs for fantasy RPGs for only a $1. This new one is following a similar idea, pledging for a $1 gets you access to all unlocked PDFs of RPG flavour inspiration, each of which have a dozen ideas, adventure hooks, important items or NPCs to use.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102137316/a-dozen-troubling-rumors-for-use-with-fantasy-rpgs/

The project launched yesterday and is already funded with two stretch goals unlocked. 

• Like 3

I normally worry when someone starts a new KS before finishing the previous one. How's this guy's track record look? I see he's done a pile of kickstaters before but I don't have good information on how he is with fulfillment.

• Like 1

Progress is moving steadily on the other one. I don't think there's any risk of it not fulfilling. Preliminary PDFs have been emailed out, a lot of them are just getting final edits.

My guess is he was surprised at how successful the first one was and wants to get another round in while his name is out there. (In a good way, not a nefarious one.)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

Progress is moving steadily on the other one. I don't think there's any risk of it not fulfilling. Preliminary PDFs have been emailed out, a lot of them are just getting final edits.

My guess is he was surprised at how successful the first one was and wants to get another round in while his name is out there. (In a good way, not a nefarious one.)

Or he may have had more ideas and figured he might as well turn them into something as well ::P:

Okay np. I'll toss a couple of bucks in and see what happens. 

• Like 1

Admittedly I've only backed the last rumours one but from what I heard from others he's pretty good, and has a good reputation in the RPG community in general? From the Sinister Rumours kickstarter, six of the seventeen PDFs have been released for community review/pre-viewing and he's apparently got another 3 that are almost at that stage with nearly every single one otherwise sourced for artwork. He seems to be moving fast imo.

• Like 3

Phil Reed's worked for Steve Jackson Games as their beancounter (he says No to Steve and Steve ignores him then he has to make sure it works), so, yes, quite a bit of reputation to maintain. 

However, I've found plenty of rumors and other existing RPG content, so don't back RPG KS. (Not helping that my RPG group is too disorganized, so we only play boardgames.)

• Like 3

How are they for being used as side quest and 'pull an adventure out of your hat'?  It sounds like I can use these to rapidly create something when my group decides to make a left turn at the corner of reality and plans. 

14 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

How are they for being used as side quest and 'pull an adventure out of your hat'?  It sounds like I can use these to rapidly create something when my group decides to make a left turn at the corner of reality and plans. 

Pretty good in my opinion? Some of the early review stuff I've seen I have set aside as side adventures to be done later and other things I've folded into the world at large just as world building or larger events. There are a few things I could see someone building a whole campaign around and a few that can easily be "here's a random session" (the rumour ones are particularly good for that). Pretty good mix as well between things you can build an encounter or dungeon around or things that'd give your players a good chance to think for themselves and role play. 

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 5:16 PM, Corsair said:

I hope he will do some sci-fi based ones one day!

That would be very fun. I'll keep that suggestion in mind.

Thanks, everyone, for chatting about these campaigns and sharing info.

As to questions regarding fulfillment of the projects, I try to stay on top of things and keep everyone updated. With the Delayed Blast Gamemaster #1 project, I thought that everyone would be happy knowing that the project would meet the deadline was good enough. I was wrong, so now I try to update more often.

At the moment, the first PDFs campaign -- Sinister Rumors -- has had eight of the seventeen review PDFs delivered to backers. Estimated delivery for the project is March 2020, and we're now one month from the project's close date and at almost 50% of the PDFs complete.

For the new campaign, Troubling Rumors, I wanted to slip the work right in with the Sinister Rumors project. Since the two campaigns are conceptually identical, the workflow is easier to handle since I can just keep writing entries in the A Dozen . . . series and not change gears.

At the moment, if all continues as planned, I will deliver review PDF #17 to the Sinister Rumors backers before January 1st. At that point, I'll direct my attention to creating the Troubling Rumors PDFs.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Edited by philipjreed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

^ Well you’ve sold me! You just became the first Kickstarter I’ve ever backed (on time anyway; I’m unfortunately a late backer for Bones V)! :bday:

It’s a great idea and seems like the perfect aid for when I finally bite the bullet and transition from playing to DMing. 

I also noticed that you’re in Kyle and since I’m in Austin I had to support local talent. ::D:

4 hours ago, Kalibak said:

^ Well you’ve sold me! You just became the first Kickstarter I’ve ever backed (on time anyway; I’m unfortunately a late backer for Bones V)! :bday:

It’s a great idea and seems like the perfect aid for when I finally bite the bullet and transition from playing to DMing. 

I also noticed that you’re in Kyle and since I’m in Austin I had to support local talent. ::D:

Wow! Thank you. I'll try to make your first experience with Kickstarter an enjoyable one.

• Like 3

Back when the D20 license was new and shiny, he used to write a whole lot of similar PDFs - his company was Ronin Arts.

I still have a whole lot of them - one is being used for the cops game in a short while. (Unusual Phylacteries.)

And, hey! It's a buck! ::D: (In fir two bucks - I want the Hats PDF.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Back when the D20 license was new and shiny, he used to write a whole lot of similar PDFs - his company was Ronin Arts.

That feels like a lifetime ago. :) Thanks for joining in the new campaign!

• Like 2