Sign in to follow this  
SisterMaryNapalm

Let's present ... Fair Winds and Following Seas (1:300 Revell German Warship Kit)

Well done.  I remember those type of kits, but haven't build one in a very long time.  Yours looks great.  The water is really nice too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is a BEAUTIFULLY crafted creation. The base is a WONDER in its own right. This may very well be your masterpiece. VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NIcely done!. Love the water, you've captured the movement of the ship quite well. I love the addition of the chapah' but I would rather have the rod a clear on vs the solid metal. Again, minor quip.

Encourages me to want to work on plastic models again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome piece!

The water is realistic with the different colours indicating movement, the addition of the flying chopper with the converted rotorblades is a great touch.

The ship itself looks great, good weathering!

All in all I think you can be proud of this and it will make a great display piece for your colleague.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

A wonderful job, I am somewhat sad to see it completed as I enjoyed following along.

Don't be sad. Next big boy is already at the shipyard.

19 hours ago, Inarah said:

Well done.  I remember those type of kits, but haven't build one in a very long time.  Yours looks great.  The water is really nice too. 

Oh, yeah - me too - last 10 or so years was only figures and tanks. Therefore, it was a nice interruption.

19 hours ago, Jellyranger69 said:

Very cool, I can almost hear the chop. 

Thank you! I thought about starting this thread using the good old Doors song, but then I thought: Naaah.

18 hours ago, malefactus said:

That is a BEAUTIFULLY crafted creation. The base is a WONDER in its own right. This may very well be your masterpiece. VERY WELL DONE!

Yeah. Actually, I am a bit sad to give her away - but that's what I always feel when I am done with something.

17 hours ago, haldir said:

NIcely done!. Love the water, you've captured the movement of the ship quite well. I love the addition of the chapah' but I would rather have the rod a clear on vs the solid metal. Again, minor quip.

Yeah! Funny story. I totally agree with you. But due to the size of the helicopter, I had a real problem doing that. The original plan called for the helicopter to be magnetized, so you could swap the helicopter from the ship to a static display. But ... haha. Unfortunately, the magnets I installed inside the ship broke away when I assembled the vessel (due to the unfortunate behavior of the frigate), but the magnets of the choppers did the exact opposite. It would have been necessary for me to break off the entire lower half of the Sea Lynx to actually remove the magnet and put in the clear rod. And a rod supporting both the helicopter and the magnet without making it look ridiculous would have been so big that it would have looked ridiculous. I tried it and then decided to go this way.

17 hours ago, haldir said:

Encourages me to want to work on plastic models again.

Go for it!

15 hours ago, SGHawkins09 said:

Fantastic job! I love the water and the helicopter is really cool.

Thank you! Yeah, I am proud myself, considering the fact that it took me 5 or so days to assemble those "spinning" rotor blades.

13 hours ago, Citrine said:

It turned out great, especially the water is awesome looking!

Yes! In between I thought I had ruined it, but the end result is ... satisfying.

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome piece!

The water is realistic with the different colours indicating movement, the addition of the flying chopper with the converted rotorblades is a great touch.

The ship itself looks great, good weathering!

I am not all too proud of the weathering, to be honest. Not because I didn't do it right, but because of so much breaking away every time that I had to cut corners, and you can see it - though just a bit. But it is okay. It could have been worse.

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

All in all I think you can be proud of this and it will make a great display piece for your colleague.

Oh, yes! I absolutely hope so!

• Like 5

You got it done!  It was a lot of effort, but it paid off.  She's a beauty!  As already said, the water base is exceptionally nice.  I hope your friend likes it, and shows it off to lots of people!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

You got it done!  It was a lot of effort, but it paid off.  She's a beauty!  As already said, the water base is exceptionally nice.  I hope your friend likes it, and shows it off to lots of people!  

Yes, I did! I am so glad I am done. It was a lot of work and sometimes it felt like I just wanted to throw her into a corner, put a big box on top and forget about her. But I didn't - and now she's done. Yay! I am so glad.

My colleague already loves it from the pictures, and I think, the real thing will blow her away. She'll get the ship on Friday, and then we will see!

• Like 1

And the warship is no longer on my desk. She's now with her new owner, who is truly delighted.

Earned me some chocolate and an undisclosed amount of money - which I didn't expect, to be honest.

Well then - next on the table: 1/350 scale USS Missouri

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      Dark Tide - An Ongoing Painting Project
      Starting another WIP thread for my other major ongoing project - Dark Tide: a nautical 5e campaign.

While my other project, Frostrun, at least got a few sessions in before pandemic put a stop to in-person games, Dark Tide is my pet project that's been in the works for going on three years.  I have pages of world building notes and have been collecting a ridiculous amount of minis to populate the islands and port towns of the world.  Here is where I will document some WIP as I start painting through the minis and build myself a fleet of ships to accompany them.

I would love to hear feedback or hear tales of your own nautical adventures.  And feel free to share photos of your own maritime miniatures!

The Ships

A major part of this project is building a fleet of ships.  I have attempted this in the past and abandoned the project when I became unsatisfied.  I have recently restarted this project, building on my knowledge from the first attempt.  You can follow my progress here:

Moonglow Builds a Boat

Troubled Waters - an Introduction to the Seas
      For centuries, the kingdoms of Cellion and Aridia have warred over the seas that separate them.  For the last 100 years, a shaky truce has kept war from the water.  But rumors have surfaced that the Aridian Emperor is dead, and tension once again brews over the waters between.

To the east of the mainland lies the Great Sea Wall, a vast expanse of jagged rocks, stretching high up out of the ocean.  Beyond this wall are the Wild Seas.  The waters are violent and dangerous, and terrible creatures inhabit the depths.  Few have reason to travel these forsaken waters, and fewer still are brave enough to attempt it.

It is said that long ago, Chrona, the goddess of death, forsook the seas.  Drowned souls are doomed to swim the waters for eternity, never able to rest.  Because of this, sailors have a healthy fear of the seas they travel, and go out of their way to rescue the bodies of any who die at sea.  Only proper burial on land can carry their souls to the other side.

Yet for all the danger and risk inherent in sea travel, many find its call alluring.  The open ocean, the promise of new land, and the rumor of lost treasures from times long ago.  But for those attracted by treasure, nothing is more alluring than the lost treasures of Captain Dread.  The legendary and fearsome pirate king was rumored to have hidden an immeasurable horde of treasure on the island of Istishia.  And yet the island's location remains a mystery.  And as for Captain Dread?  He vanished, along with his ship, and the knowledge of the Istishia's whereabouts.

Captain Ulysses Ashe
      Captain Ulysses Ashe is said to have sailed alongside the infamous Captain Dread.  Word around Port Venture is that he's looking for a crew to man The Bloodhawk.  And rumors say he's going after the lost treasure.

Frost?  Who is this Frost guy?  This is Captain Ashe!  Every crew needs its captain.
      In the role of Captain Ashe, we have Barnabus Frost, Pirate Captain 77132

But our captain here needs a proper base, and he's missing something pretty important...

... ahh much better!  A base as symmetrical as his needed some green stuff to blend it out.  I'm not the greatest at it but it works.  Also made a hat for the first time!  Found a guide on the interwebs of someone making pirate orcs and the hat seemed pretty simple.  Just flatten out a small circle of green stuff, press it on your minis head, fold up the back flap, then fold the front two sides.  Easy peasy!

Just need to let that Green Stuff cure before i can prime and paint.

Ghosts of the Drowned Souls
      With the seas forsaken by the goddess of death, the drowned souls are doomed to swim for eternity.  Here they are easily picked up by all manner of dark being promising them an escape from their eternal suffering.  

"You best start believing in ghost stories."

No pirate campaign would be complete without some ghost pirates!  I was painting up a demi-lich recently and loved the ethereal wisps i ended up painting on it.  So i felt inspired to paint up some other ghostly minis.

Finally decided to put some paint on the Ghost Pirates from Bones 4.

I started by gluing them to bases and blending the edges in with some super glue and baking soda.

I have started trying to think about what i'm going to paint before priming and choosing a primer based on that.  I typically prime grey but figured it'd be useful to prime these ghosts with white so i'm giving that a try.

Going to paint up the ethereal wisps with a bluish-green color and transition to a more traditional physical paintjob on their clothes and bodies.

Also, if it wasn't obvious, I decided to paint over the translucent.  I've avoided the translucent minis so far because I wasn't sure how to handle them, but I think I might end up being in the camp of painting over them.  I think i can both control the paint better that way, and will enjoy the end result better.

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      Wololo!

Haven't posted this little project here until now, because I was too lazy to translate it and on top of that not sure if it was too much skin or not enough,
      so I first had to browse through other pieces of KDM work to check if it was okay.

Found the exact same picture of one of my references, so I thought: Okay - I can try to translate it now.

After my surprisingly effective try to paint skin on this fellow (check ->here<-) I thought: Why not try and replicate the result on another figure. So I browsed through my pile of shame and found a KDM miniature with barely any clothes on her. So I thought: What perfect way to train smooth transitions.

So after wiping off the dust and priming her ...

I started working on the base layers and first shadows.

After I had applied some more shadows and highlights, I noticed I had defined the thin red line between the muscles of her thigh a bit too strong ...

And in the process of painting her feet, I somehow lost her toes - Oh, my god!

So while I was working on the other parts of her body and slowly building up the paint, I tried to work on her right thigh and on her right foot and get back the definition of the toes.

So after a full day of recovery operations, I finally had a look at my corrections and was surprised ...

In the end I had undone all my previous work and recreated the wrong transition ...

But I found the toes! Yay!

The outlining was a bit too strong, so I had to correct that as well ...

But I managed to make her skin surprisingly smooth.

In the end, I had to repaint the whole muscle section I worked on for a long time.

But now she's got beautiful buns and thighs

buns and thighs

Time for me to map out the other body parts ... making progress. Wonderful!

And while I am fighting her skin, Rhini took a reference book for NMM (In German, I used this to joke about metal painting rhinos - but unfortunately this only work in German)

But ... to be honest. I have no idea how I have to paint her dagger. I really don't know. I've got to think about it. I've painted NMM only once - it was okay, but not enough to make me feel safe doing it.

Well ... we will see.

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      Yes! We can do it again! Let's make a tank! Let's make a beautiful tank!

Once again, it's a diorama project based on a game scene, once again, it's Combat Mission.

In this particular diorama, the commander of a Panzer III M is a reallylucky  person. In a shootout during the Let's Play of German wargaming channel "TaktikfuchsTV", his Panzer III got hit around 20-25 times, prompting everyone to believe that this particular tank was dead. And I mean ... DEAD!

But to everyone's surprise, the crew reentered the vehicle and drove away - going like:

Here's the scene:

Kauder reenters his tank (In German)

So I got me a commanders figure and a tank ...

First off, some pictures to see what this project will look like:

So I got me a Panzer III from Tamiya and started to do some minor conversions ... and over the course of one afternoon, this vehicle was finished.

I am really proud of those selfmade smoke launchers.

The vehicle will be displayed with open hatches. That's a challenge due to the really lame interior, but that's not a problem. I'll use colors to make the less detailed parts dark and the detailed parts white - I hope that will work!

Tomorrow I'll go over the armor and do the shell damages. The only thing I am not certain about is the frontal armor provided by the spare tracks.
      I don't know how those look when they are hit. They are pretty massive and I simply cannot imagine them looking the same way as a normal armor plate when hit.

I've got to dig deeper into it.
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      So, after quite some time, it's time to present some minis again. This time it's a group of Forge Worlds Death Korps of Krieg soldiers.

Those are a few prototype miniatures for a friends Imperial Guard army. If he likes the paintjob, we'll do them all in this pattern.

Oh, yeah - and just in case anyone goes "nice" or "awesome" or "excellent" again - HE'S WATCHING YOU.

If you really don't have got anything else to say, leave me a "like" instead. I take a "like" as a nod to my participation in this forum. A "nice" is getting me nowhere.

So long.
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      And here we go again. I never get tired trying out new stuff and doing multiple projects at the same time.

The idea for this one approached me when I watched a Let's Play series by German Let's Player "DerHobbygeneral", who playes complex strategy games on PC.

That certain series was a mission in the strategy game "Combat Mission: Red Thunder", a game set on the Eastern Front of WWII. The mission is the recreation of the tank battle between German and Russian forces in the opening hours of Operation Bagration, the Soviet 1944 summer offensive that managed to crush the German Central Army and push the Germans back to the borders of East Prussia.

Combat Mission itself is a really complex game, simulating not only realistic projectile trajectories, armor and penetration calculation, but also randomly generating names for unit leaders and therefore emotionally connecting the player to his - or her - units.

One of these commanders was Unterfeldwebel Austermann, commandeering a Kpfw V Panther A, and throughout the game one of the main factors in stopping the Soviet tank assault at Studienka. The player and all commentators remarked on his excellent performance in the game and he became something like a meme. There were even suggestions of making a compilation of his best actions as some kind of memorial service in case he bit the dust.

And actually, a few episodes later, the Panther got hit a couple of times and was rendered inoperable. A shell even penetrated the front armor. While the battle for Studienka was raging, everyone focused on the question if Austermann and his crew would survive. And they did! What a remarkable turn in events! But I felt bad for the Panther, which was left behind.

Here's the scene - it's in German, unfortunately.

https://youtu.be/EJfQAVfhEoc?list=PLa3dxHLq2CvZBNhkqqaTX7jvSe7iOUjTj&t=752

Then it struck me that maybe Austerman felt bad, too, and when I saw a certain figure on a miniature shop website, I KNEW I was going to make a diorama about it. So I bought a couple of figures and a cheap old Panther A kit and ... now I am on a new project again - YAY!

I haven't decided which crew I take. I like both sets, but I guess I will go with the Dragon set. The other set can be used for a different project. But I guess, I will see once the overall layout is set.

Let's go!
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 1 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)