Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

The Making of Arakoth the Ancient

31 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Next post, I'l cover Ron's response and where we went from there. (Though it should be obvious what his response was, considering that the above spider looks absolutely nothing like the finished Arakoth.) :lol:

Indeed. At first glance, with the mandibles, it looks like the Predator's head stuck to a spiky spider body.

Your "final" version looks much more sinister with the smaller eyes.

• Like 3

I like both versions. Though I will say this one screams more "Generic monster" and the other one is more "Named Boss BBEG." Fantastic work as always. I really appreciate the asymmetry, which is something I often have to struggle with in my work. I am obsessed, even on a subconscious level, with symmetry.

• Like 3

You know I love the Arakoth and in fact many of the spiders and scorpions sold by Reaper, but I would love more diversity.

A giant Centipede, huge Ants, Giant Wasps etc etc..

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

If the current one does well, they should do this one too.

I second this. The existing Arakoth sculpt is awesome, but this one is also awesome in a different way. And I kind of want two so I can paint one all scary and one all cute

• Like 6

I love the sculpt, and I think I am also saving your screenshot of the isolated cephalothorax and abdomen with no legs to my own reference library. It's really helpful to have a view of where all the various appendages attach to the body with nothing in the way.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I love the sculpt, and I think I am also saving your screenshot of the isolated cephalothorax and abdomen with no legs to my own reference library. It's really helpful to have a view of where all the various appendages attach to the body with nothing in the way.

They aren’t the same in the final due to the fitup process. But I can take a picture and post the final one if you like, but that may not be the same fitup as what China will do to it. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

They aren’t the same in the final due to the fitup process. But I can take a picture and post the final one if you like, but that may not be the same fitup as what China will do to it. 

My purpose is much more about drawing/sculpting arachnids in the future. Cutaway views are less common that whole photographs, and I am unwilling to dismember a real spider to see it.

It'd be cool to see a final version too.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I'm curious to know how Reaper came up with the name for this.  I was just reading that the distant space rock that was known as Ultima Thule has now been renamed "Arrokoth", which apparently means "sky" in the Powhatan and Algonquian languages.  Maybe it's just a coincidence.

• Like 4

On 11/15/2019 at 9:49 AM, alchemist said:

I'm curious to know how Reaper came up with the name for this.  I was just reading that the distant space rock that was known as Ultima Thule has now been renamed "Arrokoth", which apparently means "sky" in the Powhatan and Algonquian languages.  Maybe it's just a coincidence.

I honestly have no idea.  Naming is something that Reaper does; I just called it my Giant Spider prior to submitting it.  I learned the name at the same time the rest of you did.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1