Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

The Mandalorian

okay, who else has watched episode 1?  I'm going to have to go back and watch it again.  So many questions about Mandalorian culture and backstory now..

And that ending.. Whatthewhat?

• Like 5

I watched.  Didn't realize episodes were on a staggered release, so was bummed. 

Liked the Trandoshan bar patrons.  Really liked IG-11.

I had some concerns about how Carl Weathers would pull off his character.  I only know him from Rocky and Predator, which don't really afford much range, but I felt fine with his scenes.  

Ending was a little spoiled for me because some a$$ hat had it in the title of their YouTube review.  Was still a good cliffhanger and seems like a good plot hook.

All-in-all I'm happy and can't wait until the next episode drops.

• Like 3

I thought it was excellent, it felt a bit like Rogue One - Star Wars yet not quite Star Wars. My only quibble was the music which was underwhelming, not something you usually associate with Star Wars  

• Like 4

I agree.. I didn't expect a John Williams score, but you'd think they would have worked some of the non Skywalker music in or at least added something more orchestral

• Like 3

Oooh, that was definitely a nice first episode...  Looking forward to the second one.

As for the ending of the episode, I agree, but my favourite bit probably was the five minutes before that.

With the music, I personally liked it, although I'm curious as to how they do the overall score throughout the season, as I suspect they're aiming for a different kind of subject with it all.

• Like 4

I liked it, I think (I was pretty tired when I watched it).

I don't keep up on all the Star Wars lore, and I hadn't read anything much about this series or when it was set, so the bits of that that they are revealing are interesting.

Was happy to see they weren't dialing back the violence due to it being Disney+.  Although they didn't show the "splorch"......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I don't keep up on all the Star Wars lore, and I hadn't read anything much about this series or when it was set, so the bits of that that they are revealing are interesting.

I don't consider it to be REALTMStar Wars unless there's the Wilhem Scream and a THX 1138 reference in every damn episode.

I even got this angry petition here to sign. Anyone? Anyone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

51 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I don't consider it to be REALTMStar Wars unless there's the Wilhem Scream and a THX 1138 reference in every damn episode.

I even got this angry petition here to sign. Anyone? Anyone?

"Star Wars"?

Is that like Lost in Space:huh: I always liked Jonathan Harris; very inspiring.

:poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I signed up but forgot to watch it Tuesday. I'll try to catch it tonight (I'm kinda all about Death Stranding right now...gotta build roads and outposts and traversals!).

One thing I'm interested to find out...will this show make people recognize the Mandalorian symbol vinyl that's been on the back of my truck for 11 years? :D Seriously, nobody knows what it is, though I've heard a ton of incorrect guesses.

• Like 5

So I've watched the first episode twice now, and I'm torn on it. 

The visuals are very nice and Star Wars.  As are the action scenes.  It was a good 40 minutes of entertainment both times.  And I'll probably watch it a third time with my son. 

But the more I think about it, the more I question it. I'm not really sure I felt any sort of connection at all to the main character. And there are lots of things that when I ponder them make me go "Huh?"

Now, I realize that this is only the first episode, so I'll give it a bit.  And I also realize that many of the things I'm questioning right now might either be answered later, or are things that have already been established in other sources I haven't seen, such as books, comic books, or the animated series. 

Here are just a few of the questions I have (spoilered so as not to give anything away to those who haven't seen it):

Spoiler

- how the heck can those bounty pucks track people?  Particularly the final target? 

- why the heck would a planets landing field be on ice that huge creatures can break through the ice and seize? 
- Are they really going to go through the entire series with all of the Mandalorians never taking their helmets off? 
- How the heck did that bounty droid survive to even get to this bounty if it was so willing to self destruct? 

- (this is a common Star Wars related beef for me) Why is it that shooting the door controls usually makes the door do exactly what the protagonist needs it to do, whether it's open, close or "lock" the door. 
- a 50 year old baby? OK, I know that Yoda was 900 years old, but if that baby was the equivalent of a 6 month old child, what does that say about Yoda's equivalent age?  I would think that Yoda should have been in the prime of his life at 900 years old. 
- and what the heck species is Yoda anyway. 
- Can we get the Mandalorian's name? 

I hope that if they're pulling stuff from non-film sources that they try to explain it more - it would be nice if the series would appeal to people who've never seen anything other than the original trilogy, or even no  Star Wars at all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know a lot of people love to debate that kind of stuff, it's never bothered me in Star Wars. It's like trying to make sense of Conan's political situation or something. 

That said, I can answer the last one, and I hope it's kept this way: he's the nameless wanderer. The show is heavily based on spaghetti westerns and I always felt let down when they gave Clint a name (Joe, no less). He was always better as the enigmatic loner without a name, the high plains drifter.

Not everything needs to be explained, connected, or even make sense.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

- how the heck can those bounty pucks track people?  Particularly the final target? 

I expect that the pucks function much like a modern surveillance state might by tracking facial recognition and electronic currency, then networking back through the bounty guild's web.  The fob, I think, only works on proximity.  That could a near planetary scale, though.  Who knows how much power that pod has?

- why the heck would a planets landing field be on ice that huge creatures can break through the ice and seize? 

I got the impression that was not an "official" landing area.  But I might have missed mention of it.  The speeder driver warned him about the ice before take off.

- Are they really going to go through the ntire series with all of the Mandalorians never taking their helmets off? 

I doubt it, but they'll probably make us wait a few episodes.  Honestly, I'm good with it staying with keeping the helmet on (at least in non-Mandalorian company).  I think he does it for the image more than anything.  Keeping the helmet on could be something with this particular Mandalorian (or his caste/tribe), as we've got Sabine Wren who appears helmetless, and characters from The Clone Wars series who appear without helmets.

I didn't like the design of the smith's helmet, but it does show some individuality. 

- How the heck did that bounty droid survive  even get to this bounty if it was so willing to self destruct? 

I got the impression that it was not very experienced.  But it's also could have had several low-conflict bounties before this.  There was a rather sizable mercenary force there after all.

- (this is a common Star Wars related beef for me) Why is it that shooting the door controls usually makes the door do exactly what the protagonist needs it to do, whether it's open, close or "lock" the door. 

Because "Star Wars."  It actually bugs me a bit, too.

- a 50 year old baby? OK, I know that Yoda was 900 years old, but if that baby was the equivalent of a 6 month old child, what does that say about Yoda's equivalent age?  I would think that Yoda should have been in the prime of his life at 900 years old. 

The child could be a toddler.  I didn't catch anything firm about the child (but I only watched it once, and the cat was bothering me), only that it had been there 50 years.  Yoda's people are a little on the short side.  If you go with a 10:1 Yoda:human ratio, it works out roughly well.  It's also possible that the pod is some sort of stasis device.

- and what the heck species is Yoda anyway. 

I don't think it's ever been identified.  There might have been more in the comics, though, except that those were retconned out if prior to Disney purchase.

- Can we get the Mandalorian's name? 

No.  ::P:

Some questions addressed (not necessarily answered, but addressed):

I really need to watch Ep. 1 again.  I feel like I missed out on plot being distracted by the visuals--which I think they nailed pretty well.  A little on the grimy side, but not absurdly so.  This feels more like Star Wars than the current trilogy does (to me, anyway).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CashWiley said:

I know a lot of people love to debate that kind of stuff, it's never bothered me in Star Wars. It's like trying to make sense of Conan's political situation or something.

Yeah, that's why I try to mostly just enjoy Star Wars in the moment, rather than think about it later.  

3 hours ago, CashWiley said:

That said, I can answer the last one, and I hope it's kept this way: he's the nameless wanderer. The show is heavily based on spaghetti westerns and I always felt let down when they gave Clint a name (Joe, no less). He was always better as the enigmatic loner without a name, the high plains drifter.

I get that basis, but Star Wars has a long history of naming even the most minor characters.   To have a main character unnamed may fit with the spaghetti western influence, but it is not typical Star Wars.  I feel that the fans will start clamoring for his name, and that the longer they go without naming him, the more disappointed fans will be when they finally do name him. 

• Like 3

Episode two is out now.  Definitely... Well, it's a story, and I'm curious as all sin as to where it's going.  Also didn't realize just how fast that went by either, wow.

• Like 3