Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

The Mandalorian

Nymphadora Tonks AND the Kurgan?

And a bonus "joke" with the episode title and number..."I'm not a number, I'm a free Man(dalorian)."

• Like 4

Episode 6 felt like I was watching a session from my old Star Wars RPG days. 

I'm so torn about this show, there are things about it that I absolutely love, but I think I was expecting something a bit grander. I thought we'd get something on a Game of Thrones scale with really big budgets and 45 minute episodes. AS it is, it feels more like a 1980s space serial (Buck Rogers or Battlestar Galactica)  

• Like 6

Okay, that was definitely worth getting sleep first and then watching it.  So many things I want to say, but all I'll say is under the spoiler

Spoiler

Serves 'em right....

• Like 4

I don't want to ruin anyones viewing experience...

Spoiler

...but this made me laugh.

FB_IMG_1576376353937.jpg.9595431b1a060c2e30c137414e1e2670.jpg

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/2/2019 at 1:45 PM, Rahz said:

My wife and I are waiting until there are at least a couple episodes to watch back-to-back. 

This is what my wife and I do, too. We just watched 5&6 last night.

• Like 4

I have watched up to the episode with the ATST, and honestly I'm pretty underwhelmed so far. It has potential. Great cast, and there is some real gold in there, but there is a lot more "Meh, imma go re-watch the Expanse" going on for me. Obviously not everyone will or should share my opinion. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Loim said:

I have watched up to the episode with the ATST, and honestly I'm pretty underwhelmed so far. It has potential. Great cast, and there is some real gold in there, but there is a lot more "Meh, imma go re-watch the Expanse" going on for me. Obviously not everyone will or should share my opinion. 

I've enjoyed the shows, and while I may be biased (my first Star Wars post was Boba Fett ) I think over all it is a good first series for a live action Star Wars.  It had been up and down, and isn't as story arc driven as I'd have liked, but it isn't the disaster I'd worried this whole thing could be either.  With limited budget and run times, I think they've done well.  That said, I really hope the last couple of episodes are going to be very story arc-y and epic.

And 2 episodes into season 4 of The Expanse, I'm very happy.

• Like 4

On 12/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

Okay, that was definitely worth getting sleep first and then watching it.  So many things I want to say, but all I'll say is under the spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Serves 'em right....

Spoiler

Let me just say he's REALLY good at getting even....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So the series isn't what I expected at first, but what it is has grown on me.  It's not a Star Wars movie, but it's definitely part of the Star Wars universe. 

I binge watched the entire Star Wars: Rebels animated series before starting the Mandalorian, and one of the things that sort of bugged me by the end of the series is the number of "cameos" from the movies and the Clone Wars series that they pulled into Rebels. In some episodes, I really think it was a crutch for the story writers and/or a cheap way to generate fan excitement.  Princess Leia! Darth Maul! Obi-Wan!

Being a live action series with a limited budget, that sort of thing will be far more difficult for The Mandalorian to do.  It's not that they haven't done it (Lothal Cats, The Child, AT-ST, Tattooine, just to name a few), it's just that the Mandalorian's cameos have so far been more about the Star Wars universe than Star Wars characters.  I'm finding that a huge positive. 

The whole Western vibe of the series also has me wondering if they could do some other genres in the universe. How about a cop show? A Nash Bridges or Hill Street Blues style show set on Coruscant?   How about a comedy? M*A*S*H set on a rebel medical frigate? A legal drama?  How about a Law & Order type series where the New Republic is finding Imperial officers and bureaucrats accused of war crimes, and bringing them to trial? 

And there are several TV shows out there that could probably be simply reskinned and work well in the Star Wars Universe - Magnum PI, Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad all come to mind as potential candidates. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

overall thoughts, thru ep 6, spoilered just so I don't have to think too hard not to spoiler things.

Spoiler

I get the feeling that the show is something of an experiment too.  Let's see if we can make a serious live action show weekly in the Star Wars universe and have it work. (Though, the success of the animated shows like Rebels and Clone Wars should have given them a clue.)  This is why, for the most part, the episodes have been so self contained and, other than the child's story, not particularly interconnected.   This may change later, we can see.  There are a number of wink and nod at the camera moments that sometimes work, sometimes dont. This last week was a bit heavy handed  ("He was an imperial sharpshooter" "That's not saying much" "I wasn't a stormtrooper, Wisea--")
overall I'm really enjoying it and honestly so far the smaller scope has been rather refreshing.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Clearman said:

I'd watch a CNET style program that was just the proceedings of the New Republic Senate.

I was thinking of the new reality competition show Forged in Light.  "You have 3 hours to craft a working light saber in your signature style out of the materials provided."   I would SO watch that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Well if you all are going to go down that path, how about one of the Disney Channel kids shows like Wizards of Waverly Place or Liv and Maddie, but set at Luke's new Jedi Academy? They could call it "That's So Kylo!" 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1