Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

The Mandalorian

56 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

overall thoughts, thru ep 6, spoilered just so I don't have to think too hard not to spoiler things.

Hide contents

I get the feeling that the show is something of an experiment too.  Let's see if we can make a serious live action show weekly in the Star Wars universe and have it work. (Though, the success of the animated shows like Rebels and Clone Wars should have given them a clue.)  This is why, for the most part, the episodes have been so self contained and, other than the child's story, not particularly interconnected.   This may change later, we can see.  There are a number of wink and nod at the camera moments that sometimes work, sometimes dont. This last week was a bit heavy handed  ("He was an imperial sharpshooter" "That's not saying much" "I wasn't a stormtrooper, Wisea--")
overall I'm really enjoying it and honestly so far the smaller scope has been rather refreshing.

OK, so l'm not the only one thinking that.

I am just happy that it feels like Star Wars.  I think that some of the last movies have missed that mark.

My opinion is that, given the less than stellar fan reactions to the recent films, Favreau had to prove himself and his concept to the Powers That Be.  Prove that fans will watch, enjoy, and subscribe in droves.

The arc is definitely not as tight as I would like.  I would love something as tight as B5, but I'm not expecting it.

I'm hoping that we're seeing a lot of "grunt work" setting up the transition from Empire to First Order, baddies from the Mandalorian's past, potential allies, etc. and the second season will be tighter.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I was thinking of the new reality competition show Forged in Light.  "You have 3 hours to craft a working light saber in your signature style out of the materials provided."   I would SO watch that.

..."I'm a little concerned with what Rylo is doing over here on the end. He has worked the grip section down so small there isn't going to be enough room for the focusing crystal.  if that's not aligned right and you turn that thing on in testing it might just take your hand off....."

• Haha 5

44 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

..."I'm a little concerned with what Rylo is doing over here on the end. He has worked the grip section down so small there isn't going to be enough room for the focusing crystal.  if that's not aligned right and you turn that thing on in testing it might just take your hand off....."

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea.  We're to the point that most reality shows are basically scripted anyway, why not run with it? 

• Like 2

I've started seeing rumors/speculation that a character or characters from "The Mandalorian" will pop up in "The Rise of Skywalker" based on a comment from Favreau.  

I'm not sure I buy it, though.  I think that the early release #7 is simply to clear the way for "TRoS."

• Like 3

6 hours ago, strawhat said:

I've started seeing rumors/speculation that a character or characters from "The Mandalorian" will pop up in "The Rise of Skywalker" based on a comment from Favreau.  

I'm not sure I buy it, though.  I think that the early release #7 is simply to clear the way for "TRoS."

Even if the timelines aren't simultaneous, I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple tie-ins in all current Star Wars productions.

• Like 4

Thanks to @Sylverthorne for the heads up chapter 7 is out early this week...  Two thoughts come to mind about the most recent episode...  Spoilered for obvious reasons.

Spoiler

"Well now...."

and...

"Eep."

• Like 2

This is my now my third favorite SW 'thing'.

1. OT (nothing has risen to the level of Han and Leia in the OT, period)

2. Rogue One

3. The Mandalorian

And honestly, if it weren't for Han and Leia's performances in those first two movies (eh, Endor was bad), the OT would be third after R1 and Mando. I'm amazed this series continues to deliver such strong variations on the theme every week, while staying overall consistent. Wish they were an hour per episode, but I'm ok with the lack of filler. Leave 'em wanting more.

Amazed how well they used Bill Burr's personality here. Perfect casting.

• Like 7

Well, I was planning on watching Ch. 7 tomorrow night, or maybe even putting it off til Saturday.

I just might re-watch Ch. 7 both nights.

This reminds me of the way Farscape would play things.  "Remember all those shenanigans from earlier in the season?  We're bringing them back for one great big kick-you-in-the-broccoli hoe-down!"

It reminds me of the way some of our better RPG campaigns would go.

Including the ending.

Dammit, Kuiil.

• Like 1

I'm home for the day--took the two days following Christmas off.  I kept checking last night for the update, but no such luck.

Well, the update hit sometime during the night.

Uhh....

Man, I wish I were watching this with some of my old friends.  There would have been much cursing and many exclamations of joy and disbelief.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know what you want to mention.

If we're thinking about the same thing, I was quite surprised by it.  At first it was an "OK, that's happening," thing.  And then, "wait--did I just see?"  And then the reveal...

And I'm definitely enjoying every single appearance of one particular character...And such a great scene with so much *crunch*.

• Like 2