Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Xiao Lu Buys a Fish (Grenadier Vile Villains, Statuesque Pulp Alley Dr. Fang). Pic-heavy.

This is an excellent brilliant scene!

I love all the aquaria, the skull and background/floor, it really sets the scene!

The minis themselves are painted very well, I love the freehands!

I have recently purchased that China Roller as well!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful scenery for the figures - really love the freehand and the color choices and usual standout creativity and story

• Thanks 1

Tanks, everyone! I'm gratified you like it and inspired by the kind words! 

On 11/14/2019 at 9:48 AM, Inarah said:

Lovely figures all around. Great use of color. 

Many thanks! The color gradient on the wall is about exactly Xiao Lu's coat in reverse, though it's hard to see. 

On 11/14/2019 at 1:55 PM, Lostraven said:

Very cool! Love the intricate patterns.

Glad you like them! The koi on Dr. Fang's robe and in the pond were easier than they look; a black silhouette, silver (I used Runefang Steel) just inside, and then random patches of Screaming Bell and Greedy Gold atop the silver.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, BrokenWolf668 said:

Just excellent, you really captured the feel just right, especially the background.

Thank you! GreenStuffWorld rollers are a fantastic investment for capturing the flavor of a setting. I also need to make more little ornamental ponds.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:10 AM, Iridil said:

Wonderful scenery for the figures - really love the freehand and the color choices and usual standout creativity and story

I appreciate it! Spent more time than I care to admit googling fun facts about koi. The writing on Xiao Lu's coat should say "carp," but might mean "fish (carp fish)" instead.

On 11/14/2019 at 4:57 AM, Glitterwolf said:

This is an excellent brilliant scene!

I love all the aquaria, the skull and background/floor, it really sets the scene!

The minis themselves are painted very well, I love the freehands!

I have recently purchased that China Roller as well!

Delighted! The skull is from a cheap supermarket Halloween piranha skeleton. I've already used it in a game for a zombie Dunkleosteus. 
I've loved aquaria from a very young age, and am frankly surprised I didn't think of repurposing those Chessex boxes earlier. I'm particularly pleased with the coelacanth in a tank.
Looking forward to seeing your China roller in action! 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Citrine
      This is the last mini finished in December 2020, mini number 79 of the year.  I hit 97 mini if I count large minis as 2 each.  Not too shabby, my goal was to finish 50.

So this mini is the Female Halfling II from the Julie Guthrie series 2 from Grenadier (SKU 8145).  She is the smallest mini I have painted in a long time, so I am super happy with her face.

• By Rigel
      Karla, Anime Heroine, is a beautiful sculpt with a great nurse hat. The miniskirt, while delightful, could be more pulp-era appropriate, so I sculpted a hemline extension. I also replaced a handgun with a syringe, and then gave her a couple of backup syringes and converted her other firearm to a needle gun. She is here to cure what ails you! 

And with her colleagues, Anne Foster (50258) and Dr. Welby (50257):

Stay healthy, folks, and get your shots!
    • By Rigel
      Bombshell just came out with a resin version of their dieselpunk pinup/supersoldier, Liberty. She's a great dynamic sculpt, zaftig and muscular with it. Now, we all know this is evoking some 'what if Haley Attewell became Captain America' vibes, but I've already painted up our red-white-and-blue hero before, as well as an Agent Carter type and even a Captain Canada. So, I might as well continue down the North American continent. Presenting: Capitan Mexica! 

Click for the rest of the turnaround: 
      Alas, the resin gun she came with was fragile and I had to kitbash on a sturdier one. Her shield is taken from an Aztec warrior from this series.
      Not so much Nazi-punching to do, but she has plenty of threats to contend with that would imperil the good folk of Mexico:

...some stranger than others!

And some downright bizarre: 

Here she is with her northern counterparts:

Guest appearances by: Cactus Joe, 50318; Lobo Sanchez, 50050; Diamond Sue Dawson, 50111; El Diablo, 50035; Incredible Woman, 50212; and John Bishop, 50068.
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone! After seeing @Kangaroorex Grenadier 9601, Black Dragon, I decided it was time for me to salvage mine from the shelf of shame. Thanks for the motivation Kangaroorex. This model was sculpted by William Watt in 1988. Unfortunately, the one I bought some years ago had a few battle scars. It has a broken horn and a broken wing claw. Its main tail stinger and tongue were also broken. As a reference, the base is 75mm wide.

• By Rigel
      My miniatures list has more varieties of pulp than a paper-mill town grocery's orange juice aisle. Mad scientists, apes, cultists, cosmic horrors, spacemen, sky pirates, zeppelineers, two-fisted heroes, etc. But not a lot of what was for several decades, the most common pulp villain. Let's paint something for our heroes to fight!

Artizan's Thrilling Tales line comes through once again. 
      Here are two horrible and officious jerks, on a pre-dawn hunt for Resistance agents. "Oberst von Stroop" is the one with the gun; "Major Kreipe" the one with the satchel and the dueling scar.

We've seen a couple of the Resistance before, but I believe this is the first time I've posted a picture of "Georges." I had fun with the argyle sweater-vest.

Georges' briefcase contains a surprise! 

Some more baddies: "Colonel Braun," a perfectly pompous sculpt, and the "Kaiserin" from Brigade Games. (Also Erwin Rommel, previously posted elsewhere).

(Couple more pictures of Zenith's commandoes, from 50075, if you click below.)

And on another, stranger front...
      This is "Private Trummer," an old and not particularly motivated soldier sent on special detail with a special unit. He sees nothing, he hears no-othing, and he knows NO-O-O-OTHING! 

It doesn't do to see, hear, or know too much when you're out with the armored Sturm Battalion Zorn. (Pictured: Flamethrower and Rifleman III. I added an extra gas tank from Bombshell to the Flamethrower unit.)

Battalion Zorn is led by "Captain Rohr," a merciless and ambitious creep.

Funnily enough, for a man who sees and hears nothing, Private Trummer has a knack for not being around in a crisis...

Finally, a group shot, as such groups should be. 

• Who's Online   15 Members, 2 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)