Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Xiao Lu Buys a Fish (Grenadier Vile Villains, Statuesque Pulp Alley Dr. Fang). Pic-heavy.

This is an excellent brilliant scene!

I love all the aquaria, the skull and background/floor, it really sets the scene!

The minis themselves are painted very well, I love the freehands!

I have recently purchased that China Roller as well!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful scenery for the figures - really love the freehand and the color choices and usual standout creativity and story

• Thanks 1

Tanks, everyone! I'm gratified you like it and inspired by the kind words! 

On 11/14/2019 at 9:48 AM, Inarah said:

Lovely figures all around. Great use of color. 

Many thanks! The color gradient on the wall is about exactly Xiao Lu's coat in reverse, though it's hard to see. 

On 11/14/2019 at 1:55 PM, Lostraven said:

Very cool! Love the intricate patterns.

Glad you like them! The koi on Dr. Fang's robe and in the pond were easier than they look; a black silhouette, silver (I used Runefang Steel) just inside, and then random patches of Screaming Bell and Greedy Gold atop the silver.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, BrokenWolf668 said:

Just excellent, you really captured the feel just right, especially the background.

Thank you! GreenStuffWorld rollers are a fantastic investment for capturing the flavor of a setting. I also need to make more little ornamental ponds.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:10 AM, Iridil said:

Wonderful scenery for the figures - really love the freehand and the color choices and usual standout creativity and story

I appreciate it! Spent more time than I care to admit googling fun facts about koi. The writing on Xiao Lu's coat should say "carp," but might mean "fish (carp fish)" instead.

On 11/14/2019 at 4:57 AM, Glitterwolf said:

This is an excellent brilliant scene!

I love all the aquaria, the skull and background/floor, it really sets the scene!

The minis themselves are painted very well, I love the freehands!

I have recently purchased that China Roller as well!

Delighted! The skull is from a cheap supermarket Halloween piranha skeleton. I've already used it in a game for a zombie Dunkleosteus. 
I've loved aquaria from a very young age, and am frankly surprised I didn't think of repurposing those Chessex boxes earlier. I'm particularly pleased with the coelacanth in a tank.
Looking forward to seeing your China roller in action! 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      Took me long enough to sculpt, then paint, then photograph this fella, but here he is at long last! The ape-armed brute, the mook, the Fall Guy, the smash-and-grab man with the cauliflower ears and the broken nose. Made with the crowbar from EL DIABLO. 

What's his name?
      Puddin' Tame.
      Ask him again, he'll tell you the same. 

More angles: 

"Whoof, finally got that safe down. Gutman better find something good in here; dat weren't easy."

"Whoa whoa whoa fellas! This ain't what it looks like, and I admit it sure LOOKS...not real great."

Let's also celebrate the real hero of this picaresque narrative, the shipping container! I need to get a second one and see just how far I can push the rust effects. Also need to airbrush some graffiti on there. 

• By Inarah
      I rescued Bonnie and Max from the box of goodwill and made them ready for table use, sharing a simplified palette of colors: blue, tan, green, and orange.  Max got a weapon swap, and some resculpting of the left arm because it was so much larger than the right it looked like it came off a different figure.   I reposed Bonnie slightly more upright than her original position.  They are both on CMON/Microarts graveyard bases. 

Max pulled his collar up against the wind and puled his old college scarf closer around his neck. "Come on Bonnie, there's nothing out here."

"I heard something over there,"  Bonnie replied. 

"It's a cat. I don't think we need to worry about it. "

• By Rigel
      My love for pulp is deep and well-documented, and when I heard Statuesque Minis was liquidating their Pulp Alley minis I had to check out the sale. This is not one of their pulp minis, but I couldn't resist the little tyke. About half Lucy Pevensie and half Coraline, a charming sculpt. 

"The lights must never go out... /
      ...lest we should see where we are, /
      Lost in a haunted wood, /
      Children afraid of the night /
      Who have never been happy or good."

--W. H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"

"Come, wayward souls that wander through the darkness! There is a light for the lost and the meek..."
       --the Beast, from "Over the Garden Wall"

• By Rigel
      Those who have been following know my fondness for aeronauts and airship crews. But an airship's gotta have fuel, doesn't it, and so do biplanes and autogyros! And they don't call the aesthetic *solar*punk, now!
      Enter Eureka. They have a line for a retro racing game called "Mad Maximillian" and it includes pit crew with old-style "flimsy" fuel cans. Three styles. And I've got three sets of aeronauts (Zeppelin crew, Sky Pirates, and Flying Circus). Seemed perfect for some speed painting now that the color scheme for each group is established.

Side note: it is *not easy* to find reference pictures of those fuel cans in their pristine condition, so this is just guesswork on my part.
      Side note 2: the ground is GreenStuffWorld's "Mesh" roller on dollar-store foamboard. 

First, our Zeppelin crewman! Labels are done in very fine-tipped pen.

Next, the dashing (in both senses) crewman from the Flying Circus! An excuse to play with the GW Gore-Grunta Fur and Snakebite Leather contrasts.

And finally, our Sky Pirate. Glad to include an Asian crewmember to the faction. I think she needs a layer of darker wash, though. This can got a bit of rust.

• By Rigel
      Eureka has a two-pack of figures in their Pax Limpopo line called "Hench and Coach," and they are the most corpulent double-chinned British spherical bastards imaginable; Dickensian caricatures after the style of Nast or Tenniel. I had to have them. Didn't bother affixing the coachwhips. They are about halfling-sized in 32mm scale, and walrus-like giants in 15mm scale. You should be able to hear a bassoon-and-tuba soundtrack when looking at them. 

I'd also painted up some minis from Artizan's "Thrilling Tales" line: Miss Greentree, Private Campbell, and Tankie Bob. Each of them is full of personality. Greentree I painted as an Agent Carter-type. Campbell was where I found tartan is not my forte. Could have come out worse. Bob is a scruffy fanatic and I love the sculpt. I figured Ungentlemanly Warfare was a good setting for the three of them.

More pictures below.

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 179 Guests (See full list)