Sign in to follow this  
kristof65

Space Marines: Then and Now

Good job, I always liked the beakies!

Some name suggestions just for the fun of it, discard or use at will.

Golden Lion Marines

Solar Wolves

image.png.6a89a05ad3f323e305093e8906709a41.png

Crimson Shadow Marines

Red Beetles

image.png.29e941050b27edf72a1d32b0450601f2.png

Marines Atlantis

Borer Marines

image.png.acbfed8443ddaa2bad71e65d1aa51bab.png

Ursus Marines

Garter Marines

image.png.2a15a99a540c4b5443dbf64f3c119ff9.png

• Like 6

Thanks for the suggestions @Glitterwolf - I may use a couple of those as I finish off the box.  I didn't think about getting suggestions here -  I should have taken individual pictures showing the decals I threw on them. 

This guy has a griffon or eagle head decal.

image.png.6a89a05ad3f323e305093e8906709a41.png

This guy has a Space Wolf decal on him, but it turns out that his color scheme almost exactly matches one published by GW called the Emperors Wolves.  So I guess that's what he is.  That may be why my son told me to put the Space Wolf decal on him when I was consulting with my kids last night. 

image.png.29e941050b27edf72a1d32b0450601f2.png

This guy has a decal of a black heart

image.png.acbfed8443ddaa2bad71e65d1aa51bab.png

And looking at this picture, i just realized that I got a spot of black paint on his left knee pad while I was doing his base.  Darn it - probably going to have to turn that into an icon or something. 

This guy has a decal of a fleurr de lis.  I chose that because I used one of the Reaper Royal Purple triads and out of all the decals I had, the fleur de lis seemed the most royal. 

image.png.2a15a99a540c4b5443dbf64f3c119ff9.png

I started on another 5 last night, but I'm bummed out.   I have another 10-15 of these models, but apparently I lost the guns for most of them somewhere in the last 20 years. 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think you can get guns for them on the evil bay, not sure if they will be cheap though.

Or by asking a friend who plays for some spares.  they may not all be bolters but they will have some form of firepower.  I'd offer but my armies are primarily Eldar and Tyranid and space marines would look a little funny wandering around with Shuriken Catapults :blink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Or by asking a friend who plays for some spares.  they may not all be bolters but they will have some form of firepower.  I'd offer but my armies are primarily Eldar and Tyranid and space marines would look a little funny wandering around with Shuriken Catapults :blink:

There was a scout model with a shuriken catapult and a regular (special weapon) marine with a shuriken catapult (as opposed to a flamer, melta, etc.).

That's probably not allowed nowadays, though.

• Like 5

These are the old 90s era 3 piece marines that had the hands molded to the bolters.  I actually have plenty of spare bolters from other types of models.   I'm thinking I might just see if I can make a simple press mold out of green stuff. Won't look perfect, but will be good enough for my purposes. 

As for Marines with Shurikens - I have several of them modeled that way from the old Rogue Trader days. That's one of the reasons my Blast Hornets got declared renegade - they had a tendency to scavenge battlefields and use heretical xeno built equipment. Well, that and the genestealer infestation of their homeworld - but that's another story and another series of models I'll have to re-create.

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 6

On 11/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, kristof65 said:

That's one of the reasons my Blast Hornets got declared renegade - they had a tendency to scavenge battlefields and use heretical xeno built equipment.

I don't recall there being a non-xenos specification when it came to honoring the battle gear of the fallen...but I could be wrong.

On 11/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, kristof65 said:

Well, that and the genestealer infestation of their homeworld - but that's another story and another series of models I'll have to re-create.

OK, that might be a problem...

Edited by strawhat
Spelling is important, kids.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, strawhat said:

I don't recall their being a non-xenos specification when it came to honoring the battle gear of the fallen...but I could be wrong.

Our metagame started with Rogue Trader in 89-90 or so, and was heavily influenced by that, the 40k compendium and the two Realms of Chaos books.  So portions of it grew faster than GW was publishing lore, and thus contradicted official things even back then. So some things are sort of an "In Our 40K Universe".   Such as the camera crews that often appeared on battlefields to broadcast the exploits of the Emperor's Finest to the citizens of the galaxy. 

In the 20 years since I left that group, a LOT more lore we created for ourselves has been contradicted by GW.  I'm still friends with most of them, and the ones that are still in the area are still playing 2e with the same lore.  I occasionally get to visit and play a game or two with them, though it's been a number of years since I was last there. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Our metagame started with Rogue Trader in 89-90 or so, and was heavily influenced by that... So some things are sort of an "In Our 40K Universe".   Such as the camera crews that often appeared on battlefields to broadcast the exploits of the Emperor's Finest to the citizens of the galaxy. 

In the 20 years since I left that group, a LOT more lore we created for ourselves has been contradicted by GW. 

a) home universes are almost always more fun than official universes, as you can custom-tailor the in-jokes, and Rogue Trader was delightfully gonzo from what I hear.
b) Official battle propagandists are *very* on-brand for the grimdark Imperium, to the point that I'm surprised this ISN'T canon. 
c) Lovely paint jobs! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rigel said:

a) home universes are almost always more fun than official universes, as you can custom-tailor the in-jokes, and Rogue Trader was delightfully gonzo from what I hear.
b) Official battle propagandists are *very* on-brand for the grimdark Imperium, to the point that I'm surprised this ISN'T canon. 

A)  Gonzo is a good word for it.  When one of the first published inquisitors is named after Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jacques Clouseau, you know there's some shenanigans waiting to happen.

B)  Battlefield propaganda should be the domain of the Commissar or the Chaplain.

But, yeah, back in "the day" before they published army lists in White Dwarf or *gasp* supplements, we'd arm all our marines with shuriken catapults as they were the better weapon, at the same cost as the bolter (WYSIWYG be damned).  We also had lots of displacer fields and vortex grenades.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, strawhat said:

We also had lots of displacer fields and vortex grenades.

::D:

I'm pretty sure vortex grenades are the primary reason our Space Marine council meetings came about. :poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

So here is the next six Marines in this project:

IMG_3010.thumb.png.bda8ba28cbd88923e7fd08307b9a01e1.png

Left to Right: Blast Hornets (redone), Can't Remember, Salamanders, Space Sharks, Fire Lords and Celestial Lions.

I found my missing bolters. I have another 10-15 that I'll paint up, but I've switched to terrain and fantasy for the next few months. 

• Like 9

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this