Sign in to follow this  
WIP

Reaper Color Comparisons to other manufacturers colors

It appears that Reapers Clear Purple is equivalent to Dioxazine Purple .

I am looking for a Reaper equivalent of Permanent Violet Dark. Is there one?

While I am here...are there any color swatches that have been done comparing Reapers colors to other manufacturers colors side-by-side?
This would really be something to have access to. I would make one and post it, but I don't have all of Reapers paints...yet.   ;)

I also have to add...I absolutely luv their paint bottles, functionally and ergonomically. The best in the industry Imho.

Thanks for the help. I am actually looking for comparisons to "traditional" colors from companies like Golden or Liquitex as examples.

Permanent Violet Dark is one of them.

Reaper will not use all of the same pigments as a traditional paint company would, either due to cost or toxicity issues. So you might be able to find a colour that LOOKS the same, but it won't necessarily be the same mix of pigments. 

I have some Liquitex and Golden paints, but I don't have that colour to compare to, sorry. Pingo has a lot of traditional paints, but I don't think she has many Reaper paints to compare to.

• Like 3

I have found some good color equivalents:  due to an experiment in Baroque style 

burnt umber, ochre, ultramarine; Reapers (Russet brown, Palamino gold, and Ultramarine shadow) 

I also use a lot of Reapers Carnage red - it was very close to a traditional color, but I have forgotten the original name. 

mostly I got them combing the color equivalency thread linked by TGP and the Daka site. 

I have found that they are good visual matches to the traditional colors, but don't always mix the same way. 

never looked for Permanent Violet Dark

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3

From the Blick website, two things:

The Golden Fluid Acrylic line has a Permanent Violet Dark. That line has a similar consistency to miniatures paints (and I use it for exactly that), though it's glossy.

Permanent Violet Dark is a mixture of Quinacridone Magenta and Indanthrene Blue, the latter of which is a very dark, almost black blue that goes toward purple a bit when mixed with white. You could probably use something like RMS Deep Twilight or Reaper Bones Nightsky Indigo to substitute for the Indanthrene Blue, though I haven't tried that mixture. (You might also try Clear Phthalo Blue Red Shade, though that might run a bit too red.)

• Like 2

Thanks everyone...looks like Reaper's Royal Purple is close to Permanent Violet Dark after buying some and doing a color swatch.

However, they have other violets that may be closer still (Violet Shadow?) I don't yet have which translates to: basically I'll just have to buy all their violets and compile a in-depth study comparison at a future date and post my findings...lol

Edited by WIP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1