Sign in to follow this  
AuralEntropy

Orcs - Family Painting Class

Howdy,

My nieces and nephew have been asking to come over and learn to paint one weekend instead of playing D&D. This weekend we had our first painting lesson. I am by no means a pro, but I was able to help get them started with some basic techniques and everyone had a lot of fun, even Niece 2 who wasn't that interested in painting had a blast.

I decided to use some old Blood Bowl orcs as I find the old GW minis have some nice simple surface areas for learning to paint. I did a weapon swap from some other bits I acquired to make them more fantasy and less football. There wasn't much on the mini to practice dry brushing, and their spiked underwear looks goofy, so I added some quick furs.

913935102_paint1.thumb.jpg.c61e7570b3507585d1573343249ff9d1.jpg

1239477085_paint2.thumb.jpg.53ea23e8579b36041fb3cbb7fe8a8f28.jpg

We did the skin first, working on base coats, building up some highlights with glaze medium, and then washes for the shadows. For the furs, some dry brushing over a base coat and wash. And for the gloves, I had them experiment with the GW contrast paint just to see how it works. Considering 3 of them had never painted before, and Kid 1 has only done a few minis, I think they did an amazing job. In an effort to show them not to use too small a brush for each task, I painted my example mini entirely with a no.8 brush and no magnifying glass I normally use. Definitely out of my comfort zone, but surprised myself with the results.

855655996_paint3.thumb.jpg.b684d69bffe5890135444cc912ba9f13.jpg

Kid 2 was having none of it of course. She still thinks minis are too small and annoying to paint. So she painted a pepper...

pepper.thumb.jpg.9658fd9a1654ae4a597abe8e7f40c261.jpg

I'll post an update after the next class. Not sure yet what to work on. I think I may get them to paint the shoulder pads in a colour, then do edge highlighting and scratches/expose areas with metal highlights and black shadow edges.

• Like 8