Odd Citadel product

haldir

On 11/19/2019 at 3:06 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

Now if it had a trigger that would rotate all the marines 45 degrees, that would be useful.

Must not design. Must not design. Too many projects already. Must not design. 

Hmm. 3D printed. Platform with disks and teeth. Linear gear driving down the middle of two sets of disks, culminating in a handle and trigger, with maybe an easily obtained spring, like a pen spring, or maybe just pegs for rubber bands...

Gah! Bad! Bad idea! NO! I SAID NO! Go to your bed. NOW!

/I may have the text colors reversed. I really don’t know at this point. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not have a problem with this item existing. This is an item of convenience. 

In fact, if I still used rattlecans I might even have bought one.

I used to use double sided tape onna stick to do this, but in my experience the minis can get stuck down and difficult to remove, leading to bits snapping and all that bother. 

The rubber band fastening here would probably remove that problem.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 12:54 PM, Maledrakh said:

I do not have a problem with this item existing. This is an item of convenience. 

In fact, if I still used rattlecans I might even have bought one.

I used to use double sided tape onna stick to do this, but in my experience the minis can get stuck down and difficult to remove, leading to bits snapping and all that bother. 

The rubber band fastening here would probably remove that problem.

Especially if you paint GW models, which are made of nothing but bits waiting for a chance to fall off.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I am not the masters you are.  First a secret:  either because of the oil in my skin or some eldrich spell that haunts me, I can't get blue tac or any of its brothers to stick...ever. I'll use a fresh piece, where gloves get the ball so it is so tacky that it binds the gloves put it on wood or cardboard and attach mini and in 5 min the miniature falls off.  Carpet tape (strongest double side I know) works better as long as I am very delicate with my brushstrokes (drybrushing almost always knocks the mini off).

So I'm left with superglue, bit of a pain dealing with the splinters when they come off but at least they stay, and cutting notches and using rubber bands.  Fortunately I came across a company that made dental rubber bands the right size and bought a bag of a thousand.

I guess what I'm saying here is pooh-pooh the price (which like everything from Citidel is ridiculous) not the product.  If I didn't have my dental bands, was 20 years younger, and they were $3 a set, I would be thrilled to find these

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Well, I am not the masters you are.  First a secret:  either because of the oil in my skin or some eldrich spell that haunts me, I can't get blue tac or any of its brothers to stick...ever. I'll use a fresh piece, where gloves get the ball so it is so tacky that it binds the gloves put it on wood or cardboard and attach mini and in 5 min the miniature falls off.  Carpet tape (strongest double side I know) works better as long as I am very delicate with my brushstrokes (drybrushing almost always knocks the mini off).

So I'm left with superglue, bit of a pain dealing with the splinters when they come off but at least they stay, and cutting notches and using rubber bands.  Fortunately I came across a company that made dental rubber bands the right size and bought a bag of a thousand.

I guess what I'm saying here is pooh-pooh the price (which like everything from Citidel is ridiculous) not the product.  If I didn't have my dental bands, was 20 years younger, and they were $3 a set, I would be thrilled to find these

I’ve had a lot of trouble getting blu tac to stick to wood and paper products too.  It’s somewhat usable for 1 mini on a plastic bottle for painting, but they still fall off occasionally even when not drybrushing.

I started using Scotch Permanent Mounting Tape instead when I’m batch priming and painting, and that works great!

It’s sticky enough that the minis will never fall off, but you can still get it to come off the wood.  It comes in 1” and 1/2” widths, and I’ve found that a 1/2” square is more than enough.  It takes a little scraping to get it to come off mini bases, but will come off pretty clean.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 11:06 AM, rubegon said:

I’ve had a lot of trouble getting blu tac to stick to wood and paper products too.  It’s somewhat usable for 1 mini on a plastic bottle for painting, but they still fall off occasionally even when not drybrushing.

I started using Scotch Permanent Mounting Tape instead when I’m batch priming and painting, and that works great!

It’s sticky enough that the minis will never fall off, but you can still get it to come off the wood.  It comes in 1” and 1/2” widths, and I’ve found that a 1/2” square is more than enough.  It takes a little scraping to get it to come off mini bases, but will come off pretty clean.

That is what I use. I have a ton of empty Testor's/Tamiya paint cans that I just slap the tape on top & use it that way. The cans are perfect for my large monkey paws. It may only allow priming of a single mini at a time, but I don't mind. I don't army paint so it works for me. If I have smaller critters like spider swarms or something, then I'll go 4 to a can top.

I think the only time I do batch priming is when I have a ton of minis to prime up. Anymore thou, it's bare minis or prepaints. I'm not fast enough painter to keep up with my weekly games (x2). If my initial posting sounds degrading over the product, it's not. To be honest I shouldn't be surprised that GW would come out with their own branded paint stick, as GW fans will snatch it up. The listing on Miniature Market thou, is severely lacking in describing this item thou. Why I posted in the first place.

• Like 1