Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Davis

Painting a "wood finish" on a resin model

Ok, I'm trying to paint a piano for a wild west style project.  It has wooden floors and a wooden piano.  I've searched high and low but I have not been able to find anything helpful.  Even searching the ship modellers forums yielded nothing useful.  Can anyone suggest a good tutorial to read or make a suggestion?  I've attached a photo of the figure.

1415164267_pianounpainted.jpg.ada187b18ad5216dc1f21beeec4ce502.jpg

• Like 4

Have you seen Vallejo's 'Old and new wood effects' paint set?

It comes with a whole lot of paints, and a set of instructions.   

Gets a pretty good effect.

(Not at home so can't give specifics)

• Like 2

Vallejo also make a "Wood and Leather" paint set, that is more focused on miniatures painting. 
Anyway it really depends on what kind of effect you want to achieve. I do not like drybrushing on wood, it always ends up looking dirty. But washing is necessary.
Love the Scale75 Inktenze wood (followed by a matt varnish) and Smoke 70.939 from vallejo.

• Like 1

I give wood a White Base colour and then use Scale 75 Inktense Wood / Inktense Chestnut inks.

As long as there are grains sculpted this will work fine.

image.png.43a28209ee6573fa74a7f77d466b7eb5.pngimage.png.ef1690e8b9506f20cc6ef20641f7a94d.png 

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the suggestions.  

I underpainted everything with Vallejo oxford blue for the shadow areas and sun yellow for the areas in the lantern light. 

For the piano, I need it to be very dark.  I used Vallejo dark fleshtone mixed with a little bit of gory red as a base coat.  I then varnished it gloss and used Army Painter dark tone.  I will paint back in the highlights once it is dry. 

For the floor, it will be lighter.  I used Vallejo desert yellow with the dark tone. 

It should look alright once I weather it.

The big dark spot on top of the piano is where the girl sits. 

20191120_100936.jpg

• Like 6

I've created wood grain effects by dragging a darker translucent colour over a lighter base coat with a coarse bristle brush. It works well, but you have to be careful not to over-work it or else it ruins the whole grain effect.

• Like 2

For polished wood I remember watching a youtube video on how to paint a wooden propeller for an airplane.
(Scale-a-ton and PLASMO)

This is probably a different effect from what you are looking for, but it may give some inspiration.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, MojoBob said:

I've created wood grain effects by dragging a darker translucent colour over a lighter base coat with a coarse bristle brush. It works well, but you have to be careful not to over-work it or else it ruins the whole grain effect.

There are two types of fan brushes, one with soft bristles and one with coarse, hard bristles. The coarse, hard bristled fan brush works magic with that technique. :D

• Like 1