Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I’ve been going through BONES I mostly in order, doing several WIP. This was the next. I wanted to try to improve on my OSL so he got a green magic glowing gem. Still not great, but the idea comes across.
Link to WIP.
I didn’t bother trying to paint his eyes due to the extreme shadowing...
Finished and based him!
@DragonWyrm great, great call on using the matte medium on the translucent to get acrylic to adhere and still keep its transparency! I can't believe it worked as well as it did. You're a genius.
Ended up using the matte medium, then green ink, then leveled up with yellow dry brush, then did a white touch up to show motion. Came out great!
Thank you for the tip. Genius!
This one was done for Season 2 of the Vancouver Miniature Painting Club. It is Jexx the Small Bomba by Big Child Creatives. He's a 75mm scale figure, but he's smaller as a little goblin, perhaps 40mm in height total.
Most folks got a good cast of the goblin. Mine was terrible. Ear was chipped in two places, and I only found one part to glue back. The ankle had deep cracks in it, and indeed, did break at one point and I had to repair it. Had mold slip and really bad mold lines. The edge of the hat had crumbly resin. He had a huge blob of excess resin on his nose next to an air bubble - that took a knife, filing, and filling to get to normal goblin nose.
So.... I wasn't super into this one.
But it was good practice on OSL and non-human skin tones. I did similar to the box art on this one too. Leaned into warm hues with the torchlit side, and blues on the non-torch side. Had a rough image in my head that the pants were originally white, but he's a goblin and peed in them regularly. Overall turned out fine. Still not my favorite. Pictures are "sufficient", although again I wish I had my buddy to take better ones!
Unlike the other projects, I did TMM on the bombs and buckles, since I was too lazy for NMM.
Here's another that I was practicing on with oil paints mixed in. I am not sure I have it figured out yet. I had read that before applying oils, you should do a gloss coat to give a 'protective' layer so you can reset the oil if you need to clear up a mistake. I'm not sure I'm getting much from that method and may just go straight over the acrylic layer next time. The gloss coat may only be needed first with the pin washing? Not sure. Any help would be loved here.
That said, there were a few areas that worked great and some that sucked.
1. oil wash on back of cape area worked out well with a black 4:1 mix of spirits to paint. Win.
2. The primer I used was an older one and it had a 'chalky' texture to it and prevented much of my washes from settling in only recessed areas. Fail (but I have since stopped using that primer). This was just an older project sitting calling my name to finish him.
3. I have no idea how to finish that translucent stuff, so I left it on the 'to-do' list and guidance from some of the Reaper forum folks. No idea what to do with those.
4. Horns on his back were a cool mix of brown to light tan. Win.
5. Keeping to darker tones all over. Red/Green/Purple all were good choices for this slimy guy. Win.
6. Dry brushing a yellow to bring out the bumps on his face was also a good win.
7. Eyes are questionable, but may end up blacking them out to fix them. Might be more fitting with a 'fish eye' look.
Love the feedback if you got it!
Who's Online 10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)