The do and donts of Painting

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do paint what you like to paint.

Do try and push yourself with each mini.

Don't get disenhearted when you cannot pull off a technique the first time around. (Man I wish I would listen to this one)

Do have fun, its meant for enjoyment, so...

Do go push some pigment around.

Don't let the clueless kid lift Marthrangul out of the box of painted minis...

Grrrrr.

Rule whatever number: Don't keep your works of art shoved in a crampt box. Get a shelf, even a cheap one from Home Depot.

If you are not doing so currently, try texturing your bases before you paint your miniature. Less likely to get stuff glued to the nicely painted boots.

Set goals for yourself, including painting within certain time limits. I cannot add how much I learned during our 4 hour speed paint with Stern this Spring. Now I don't try to paint everything in 4 hours, but it did change my appraoch to painting for the better.

I forgot one Do not try to prime your minis on the floor standing over them holding your spray can tilted it will leave your minis all grainy as the spray doesnt come out right hold the can upright and the mini in your hand,

Get cheap handgloves you know the ones the doctor use at your local store so your fingers dont turn white or black depending on what you like. :poke:

When sealing the mini, make sure to shake the can thoroughly (especially if you've painted something with large areas of black/dark colors) to avoid frosting.

do not let someone else use your brushes, unless you need and excuse to buy new ones.

-rustic

And...don't listen to people who say their own painting sucks because they're not as good as [insert_name_of_Pro], yet their painting is leaps and bounds and marathons ahead of your own.

::P:::P:::P:::P:::P:

And one for Kellyn:

::P:

Bah!

Don't drybrush EVERYTHING

Don't paint a weak pigment over black

Don't use the paint right out of the bottle

Don't push your brushes up to the ferrule in paint

Don't use hot water to clean your brushes

Don't listen to Jester berate his work. As the author, he's not entitled to an opinion on his own minis ::P:

I won't get into the nitty gritty of Do's and Dont's...but the personal one I live by...the one that drives me to paint, the one that helps me improve, the one that makes that one mini stand out, the one that makes me come back to the paint table over and over again....

Do...Have fun.