Sign in to follow this  
Iridil

Fog effect on base

Hi all,

I have this idea of making it look like there is fog across a scene, but no idea really how to do it - anyone every try this? Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Hmm,

Railroad Modellers sometimes use an actual smoke generator.

You could try cotton but that has to be protected from dust else it will get dirty pretty quick.

• Like 2

I think it would work best if you do the effect, then photo it, then remove the effect.  I can't find a link to it, but there's a guy who does unbelievably realistic photos with clouds and weather and smoke, using things like cotton, diffused light, forced perspective...  Crazy.

Got'im!  Check these out!  https://www.demilked.com/wardrobe-project-miniature-photography-felix-hernandez/

Edited by BLZeebub
added link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks both - I'm looking for a way to suggest fog on a mini for use on the tabletop.... not an easy request (lol) - BTW that photo shoot was amazing and well beyond my skills!

• Like 3

Hmm, I wonder if you could sculpt your fog out of water effects with a bit of either fine particle model railroad snow or thin paint mixed into it in the upper layer.  Or possibly painted on its surface with a very thin, translucent layer of paint. My thought is try to preserve the transparency of the majority of the water effects material for the most part so it looks like the 'fog' is floating.  No idea if this is workable so definitely experiment on a throwaway base or piece of cardboard first if you are going to try it.

• Like 2