Sign in to follow this  
philipjreed

Car Wars Sixth Edition

Our big office project is Car Wars Sixth Edition, a completely new edition of the classic game of autoduelling.

The project launches tomorrow morning and runs through January 6th. We're running pre-campaign stretch goals based on number of followers to this page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/car-wars-sixth-edition-by-steve-jackson-games

One last pre-campaign stretch goal remains to unlock. 

Any questions? Please ask away and I'll answer as best I can.

Car Wars Kickstarter Addons.jpg

• Like 3

Colour me interested as I've been a fan of Car Wars since my college days in the 90s.

A new KS edition was hinted at for years.

Like Battletech, I always loved the car building section more than the actual play rules because the games themselves could get tedious after a while, particularly if more players were involved. I'm pretty certain the new dice mechanics will make it faster, but I'm still a fan of rolling standard dice instead of expensive specialty dice.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

Can we use our Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars with the game? ::):

Also hope you'll have weapon sprues so the hobbyists can modify their cars!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Can we use our Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars with the game? ::):

Also hope you'll have weapon sprues so the hobbyists can modify their cars!

[Looks at Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars.]

[Looks at CAV miniatures]

[Looks at sharp knife and CA glue]

There's some potential here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Live! : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/car-wars-sixth-edition-by-steve-jackson-games/

BF pledges include a free expansion!

$75 plus shipping gets you the four-player set.

$140 pledge  is already a better deal than $75 pledge plus add-ons.

If I can't use my 16-car Costco pack of Hot Wheels I bought ten years ago for this game... :lol:

EDIT: Looks like you can! Car Wars is 1/64 scale and Hot Wheels is *approximately* that. : https://dfarq.homeip.net/what-scale-are-hot-wheels-cars/

Edited by ced1106

Yeeeeah, I shouldn't have. But I did.

And it's not like they can STOP you from modding your own vehicles. If they really meant to do that, they'd have gone with the old 5mm scale from the Car Wars of the ancient days of my youth.

At least, that's what I would have done. But no, they've gone with something approximating Hot Wheels scale, hoping to compete with Gaslands, so... let slip the cars of war, I guess...

• Like 1

I recall a friend having Car Wars amongst his giant bookcase of games. I don't think we ever played a game but we did play Autoduel once or twice. I recall having a semi with trailer that housed my garage & such. One of the many games we played once or twice back in the HS days.

6 hours ago, Dan d'Lyon said:

I don't have to back this.  A friend already has.  Woohoo! 

No second set for conventions, eh? :lol:

12 hours left for BF deals, with the free Al's Upgrade expansion.

$139 level will soon be a better deal than $74 with free add-ons.

The game will, of course, be available retail. So you can get a second set. :upside:

After some thought, I won't be backing this.

• I already have several KS backed RPGs which I haven't played (and barely unwrapped).
  • I haven't had a regular game group in  five years.
  • It'll eventually pop up in an FLGS at a decent price (happened to me more than once)

Good luck to the campaign anyway!

• Like 1

Cyber Monday sale! Only six hours left! 

Car Wars Sixth Edition - $75 Kickstarter Special Price ($100 post-KS price)
Car Wars Miniatures Set 1 - $40 Kickstarter Special Price ($45 post-KS price)
Playmat #1 - $45 Kickstarter Special Price ($50 post-KS price)
Uncle Al's Upgrade Pack - $15 Kickstarter Special Price ($20 post-KS price)
Car Wars Armory Pack - $10 Kickstarter Special Price ($15 post-KS price)
Car Wars Road Tiles - $30 Kickstarter Special Price ($35 post-KS price)
Car Wars Dropped Weapons Pack - $20 Kickstarter Special Price ($25 post-KS price)

That's $235 worth of goodies ($290 post-KS) for only $145!

After the announcement, they unlocked the Crew Member Pack, extra cards for the Road Tiles and Playmat, *and* Miniatures Set 3. That's $15 + $40 more free SG's for this pledge level!

Also, no plans yet to release Car Wars expansions outside of their direct mail order, Warehouse 23. Huh? ::o:

• Like 1

I'm a long-time fan of Car Wars, but I'm not backing this one.  I saw a couple of people playing this in a video, and it... just didn't feel like Car Wars to me.  Which is fine - I've still got all the earlier editions I've collected over the years saved up to play with anyhow.  They're succeeding pretty well without my help anyhow.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Also, no plans yet to release Car Wars expansions outside of their direct mail order, Warehouse 23. Huh? ::o:

Correct. The core game will be offered to distributors in 2021. We're unlikely to offer expansions to distribution. FYI. Retailers may create Warehouse 23 accounts by contacting us at [email protected] Retailer accounts at the site give them access to titles to sell in their stores. This allows us to keep a better handle on the game and avoids some of the larger problems that are disrupting and devastating portions of the market at the moment.

We will make final distribution decisions later. Right now, our focus is on the Kickstarter campaign.

$100 add-on only pledge available. Gets you $110 in credit. The playmats and road tiles, afaik, already good prices compared to what's available retail.

Road tile pics update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/car-wars-sixth-edition-by-steve-jackson-games/posts/2701397

And then... :ik_oops:

f0c05e5d527f4ae789d161699ea6cb6f_origina

Edited by ced1106