I'm looking for a couple of horse minis for a diorama I'm thinking of doing, and I have some pretty specific requirements:

• Cannot be in a running pose; must be standing at rest.
  • One should have its head down to the ground (grazing)
  • The other should have its head up and twisted to one side, looking at something
  • Cannot be covered in gear. Light saddles/reins would be okay, but no barding, panniers, caparisons, saddle-bags, or any other stuff.
  • Either no riders, or else riders I can discard.
  • 28mm scale.

That may be a tall order, and so far I've come up entirely dry. Alas, my sculpting skills (such as they are) are not up to the challenge of producing an anatomically convincing horse.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wizkids just released a horse & hitch. Also in their Adventure Campsite set there are a couple of horses but they have saddles. They aren't loaded down thou. Finally, prepainted there is a bare riding horse.

73862-horsehitchpost-493132-ADWiHJ13.png 

73220_AdventurersCampsite.png

20ridinghorse.jpg

• Like 4

Knuckleduster has some horses from their last Kickstarter that might fit the bill.

I checked, in their Gunfighters’ Ball line; bareback, draft, and standing. None art twisted the way you want though. That would be a hard pose to cast.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

BTW Wizkids casts way are more brittle than even Bones Black. 

I've yet to encounter a brittle Wz unpainted mini. On the other hand the Owlbear has allot of dents/dips in the edges. It's not enough to ruin the figure but it's kinda concerning. I will admit, I've encounted more floppy weapons in Wz vs BB. About the only time I encounter that is if it's a long weapon like a pole or thin sword blade.

The Horse minis are solid minis.

• Like 3
On 12/4/2019 at 10:50 AM, ttuckerman said:

I had a horn break off a Oxen when it fell a few inches to a felt covered table.  I call that very brittle.

Again, I've never have a problem with any Unpainted line figures & I've bought enough to choke a horse.  :lol:

• Like 2

Eureka Miniature has a horse for position one except they sell it as a variant (1of 3) so you may not get it unless you buy all of them (and even then it is not certain, unless you do it in a physical location).

They also have a saddled/geared versions (different levels) in "Chasseur fraternising at the water pump vignette", "Horse holder and 3 horses", "Irish dragoon horse - without rider" to name just a few. Make sure you are looking a the correct size versions (and the website is clunky to get around, some things are in places you would not assume them to be)

• Like 4
On 12/7/2019 at 3:06 AM, DragonWyrm said:

Eureka Miniature has a horse for position one except they sell it as a variant (1of 3) so you may not get it unless you buy all of them (and even then it is not certain, unless you do it in a physical location).

They also have a saddled/geared versions (different levels) in "Chasseur fraternising at the water pump vignette", "Horse holder and 3 horses", "Irish dragoon horse - without rider" to name just a few. Make sure you are looking a the correct size versions (and the website is clunky to get around, some things are in places you would not assume them to be)

Wow, you're not kidding about that clunky web site.  That design was state of the art in the late '90s.  They're due for an overhaul.  The grazing horse is just right, though -- assuming I can actually get one.  How annoying that you can't just order the figure you want, but have to play roulette and hope it comes up!

• Like 2
On 12/7/2019 at 3:06 AM, DragonWyrm said:

Those Eureka horses are fairly small.

• Like 2