Cav NOOB question

SaintRigger

Hey,

I *just* sat down with the rules and the CAV-RC and have a few questions. I would like to work out a force that is primarily tanks and infantry (cause really, I love crunchies)...

anways, I understand that a unit is 4 models (ie 4 tanks or 4 stands of treadgrease), but is there a logical way to break up sections? Is there some form organic group that sections are broken down into? Ie "Command section", "Mobile Infantry", "Recon", "Tank hunters"?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What it really comes down to is how you want your sections to work together. You could, for instance, build a couple of sections designed to hunt CAVs, some for fire support, etc. As it stands now you don't really need a "Command" or "Recon" section per se.

I was just tryling to illustrate a point (and perhaps my unfamiliarity with the rules).

I didn't know if it was best to design a section around a troop type (all my tanks in one section, all my infantry in another), or around a general function.

I'm rather excited about the game, really.

In general, Like units work best together. I also like to put my infantry and their associated tranpsort(s) in the same section, for ease of use.

However, "like" generally comes down to battlefield role more than it does design.

I don't know how clearly that's coming across.

I'm sure once I get a better grasp on the rules, it will become clear - like I said, I just looked over them for the first time breifly today.

They way I understand unit orginization right now is that I would put units in a specific role into a section. Soooooo....

I would put infantry, and their transport together (be it a drop ship, AFV etc). Also, if the infantry is acting as a support unit for an armored unit, I imagine I'd put that together. I would then break them down into fighting units.

So I would have say the first infantry as a section and that might conist of say 2 infantry, two AFVs and a tank for heavy support, and then the second infantry as another section with the same make up, and then like the first grenadiers which would be a CAV hunting unit etc... (Not that sections have these designations, but I'm using them as an example.

My mindset is currently coming from some various WWII rules ets, (both N scale and 28mm) where there is a certain order of battle to units from the squad to platoon to company level, and I guess I see sections as either a platoon or a "company".

right because we are limited currently to four units per section, its very hard to build logical crunchy units in cav.

As was said before i'll group like units, light fast movers should be together, flight groups should be four of the same aircraft, or perhaps 2 ground support fighters with a pair of air support for back up.

as for inf and transports, if i have a chance, i'll actually group a entire section of like transports together in one section and then several small groups of infantry and then run a taxi service. All that means is you have to be a bit more cafefull about which section gets activated in which order but it works well.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Dallas Texas