Rignes

Compressor running slow

I have a new compressor that sometimes runs super slow when it kicks on.  In fact, this is the 2nd one, I sent the first one back because I thought something wrong with it.   Here is a video of what it's doing as it is way easier to see than to describe.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rQLUS2avJLuRBynJ7

Am I doing something wrong or was I just unlucky enough to get two of them with the exact same problem?

BTW, the hissing you hear in the back ground is just me holding down the airbrush button so it kicks on.

Thanks.

Did you break it in? The directions on my compressor called for running it the first time with the valve open for I think 10 minutes before allowing it to build pressure. After that you could turn it on normally.

7 hours ago, Rignes said:

This is the first time I've used it fresh out of the box.  There shouldn't be any water to purge yet.

I'm not talking about purging it of condensation (though that is important, from time to time) but releasing the pressure after each session.

15 hours ago, cmorse said:

Did you break it in? The directions on my compressor called for running it the first time with the valve open for I think 10 minutes before allowing it to build pressure. After that you could turn it on normally.

I double checked the manual, it doesn't say anything about a break in process.  Just explains how to hook up the hoses and set the pressure.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 hours ago, MojoBob said:

I'm not talking about purging it of condensation (though that is important, from time to time) but releasing the pressure after each session.

Ahhhh, OK.  I understand what you mean.  This incident was in the very first session of use.  Basically I set it up and before my first session ended it did this.

As a side note, I sent the video to TCP Global and they said it's not normal.  They are sending me a new compressor under warranty.  They don't make that model anymore so they are sending me an updated version.  I'm guessing Amazon bought a ton of these things and they were sitting in a warehouse for who knows how long.  

I work in IT and it's extremely rare to have the replacement fail in exactly the same was as the original part but it does happen.   Maybe Amazon stored them in poor conditions or just bought a bad batch?  Anyway, hopefully the new one will be all good.

• Like 3

It probably wouldn't hurt to run a break in cycle on the new one when it gets there, I think it's a pretty common requirement in manuals even if it's not in your's. At worst you'll waste 15 minutes, but maybe it will end up lasting longer.

• Like 3