Sign in to follow this  
TGP

GETTING TO KNOW YOU....DECEMBER 2019....

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I have never figured out what the limit is. :blush: But I fell asleep before I could post the question... :blush:

Question for December 3rd: How many times have you been snowed on so far this Winter?

I'm in Canada, it's been snowing off and on since OUR Thanksgiving. Right now there's about.......4 inches of snow on the ground (there's been a lot of melting and refreezing since October, it's been some odd weather that's wreaked havoc on the harvest).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I have never figured out what the limit is. :blush: But I fell asleep before I could post the question... :blush:

Question for December 3rd: How many times have you been snowed on so far this Winter?

Winter hasn't really started yet, but so far, none.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

None so far.

For all of the time I've lived in the North Carolina piedmont (almost thirty years), I've only seen it snow twice in December.  Once was in early December (when, funnily enough, we were driving to Florida) and once was on Christmas Eve.  The Christmas Eve snow was several inches and shut the area down for a bit.

We're not guaranteed to get snow in the winter.  The first year I lived here, it didn't snow at all.  The second year, it snowed once, in April.  This was disappointing to me, since I was a kid, I like snow, and had just moved from a place where it snowed every winter.  (One year, it even snowed on Thanksgiving!  My father was not amused.)

I feel like snow is becoming a more regular event around here, which is fine by me.  However, I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home, so I can choose not to drive on the roads.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Technically, three times, but realistically once, and it's still happening.

(There was a trivial dusting in November, which I don't count. The current storm has been snow->rain->snow, but I am counting it a single storm, even with the rainy interlude.)

3 hours ago, VitM said:

I didn't know we had a 300 minute auto-merge duration on these forums.  They're really serious about post-spamming, aren't they?

I'm pretty sure it's actually under 30 minutes, but there's no reason not be be certain.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I honestly can't remember. Like Pezler says below. Decent snowfall every couple of weeks for 2.5 months now.

37 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I'm in Canada, it's been snowing off and on since OUR Thanksgiving. Right now there's about.......4 inches of snow on the ground (there's been a lot of melting and refreezing since October, it's been some odd weather that's wreaked havoc on the harvest).

You missed out on the first round in September that we got further south. I mean I'm used to October being kind of crappy but I'm not happy with September snow storms. I really, really want to complain about my crops and grain farming but have been restraining myself. This isn't a good area for grain most years and the last few have been ridiculously bad for me. Crop insurance wasn't happy when I told them my yields. I asked, "How do you think I feel?" Just hope they pay out what they're supposed to.

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Zero, because winter technically hasn't started! (Official first day of winter is Dec. 21 for the northern hemisphere.)

I've often wondered where the official season start/finish came from. I know it's based on lunar cycles but where in the world did those match the weather? Around here I've always considered November-March winter, April-May spring, June-August summer and September-October autumn with some yearly variance.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Just once so far, and it melted in a day or so.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Zink said:

I've often wondered where the official season start/finish came from. I know it's based on lunar cycles but where in the world did those match the weather? Around here I've always considered November-March winter, April-May spring, June-August summer and September-October autumn with some yearly variance.

It's based on the winter solstice, which is the day with the least amount of daylight for that hemisphere (due to the tilt of the earth's axis varying, which is responsible for the seasons). Northern hemisphere has a winter solstice and the southern has one. The fine folks in Australia and all lands down beneath the equator will have their winter start in June.

Coincidentally, the day the northern has its winter solstice, the southern has its summer solstice (longest period of daylight, and thus the official start of summer) and vice versa.

Of course, if you live in Westeros or some other land, these definitions do not apply...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Zink said:

The timing works pretty well in littoral areas. The water acts as a really big heat reservoir/sink and that results in significant hysteresis in the mean temperature curve relative to the insolation (incoming solar radiation) curve there. Continental climates (areas far from major bodies of water, like, say, where we both live), have less hysteresis, so the functional starts to seasons for us are always earlier.

For a bit more (not a great article, but it was near the top of the search results): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_lag

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Two or three dozen times now?  I'm Canadian, we just go "eh, it's fall, it snows.  It's winter it snows a lot.  It's spring, don't get your hopes up, it'll snow until May, June if nature rolls well on the dice" 

Aka I don't really pay attention to how often it snows, because it's a regular thing here ::P:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Nothing yet.

It'll be late Dec/early Jan before there's anything round these parts.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Here's a screen grab of my local weather for the next week.

image.png.451253f2ae0f5cdf48e42bdf166d59d0.png

I've been under snow for the past three weeks already.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The timing works pretty well in littoral areas. The water acts as a really big heat reservoir/sink and that results in significant hysteresis in the mean temperature curve relative to the insolation (incoming solar radiation) curve there. Continental climates (areas far from major bodies of water, like, say, where we both live), have less hysteresis, so the functional starts to seasons for us are always earlier.

For a bit more (not a great article, but it was near the top of the search results): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_lag

I want to like this post, but the snow was blocking my view of the harbor this morning. :angry:

More seriously, the temperature differential from where I live (roughly 6 miles from the harbor), and where I work (maybe half a mile from the harbor) is very noticeable in the summer time. Near the water tends to be pleasantly cool on a hot day.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Once. Last night.

This was the third storm in a row where the Weather Service promised snow and instead we got rain. Cold rain. Really cold rain that just sits there being cold without ever freezing.

Last night I left work around 1am and it was still raining. But there were little ice chunks in the rain this time. Sux. Get on the bus. The bus driver takes pity on us and drops us off as close as he can get, half a mile from home instead of 3/4ths of a mile. Nice guy. I appreciate the effort. But thankfully by the time we got off the bus the rain had stopped. Instead we had ordinary overly-icy wet snow. It melted upon contact with anything that wasn't us. The ground still hadn't frozen. 

But we walked home in the snow. First snow of the season. I must say, I would have appreciated the 4-6 inches promised to us by the Weather Service, work would have closed for that.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, TGP said:

What is this 'snow' you speak of? We're getting  30+ degree celsius days here...

On a more serious note, we technically had 'snow' last winter, but as it didn't settle I don't think  it counts...

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

The fine folks in Australia and all lands down beneath the equator will have their winter start in June.

Depends on the year I find, sometimes it starts in May, somtimes it doesn't start til July, and sometimes we have one week on August only :-P

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

IQuestion for December 3rd: How many times have you been snowed on so far this Winter?

edit: oops I misread it as 'snowed in'!

Yeah, I don't know. Not enough.

• Like 8