Sign in to follow this  
TGP

GETTING TO KNOW YOU....DECEMBER 2019....

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for December 5th: What is the most extreme example of scale mismatch between two figures in your collection of Miniatures?

Most of the old Ral Partha Battletech miniatures felt improperly scaled with respect to each other. i.e. That light mech does not feel 4 times smaller than that assault mech.

Then again, nothing was ever properly scaled in Battletech. Cool big stompy robots combat rules trumped RealTM physics.

• Like 11

December 4th: Bones V 

of course.  100-400 per kickstarter.  this time I am still under 100, but have no intention of staying there, once the PM opens.

December 5th: Size discrepancy.  

I have a  human TSR cleric from 83'  that has been mistaken for a halfling in a Pathfinder league game.  "she is just short, sometimes people are short" 

currently - Kingdom Death has had some inconsistent sizing.  the worst is "Old Survivor"  who I painted as a statue.  technically he is no bigger than a basketball player, but it looks bad.  need a picture: is 

si.jpg.27db9bc6b3f77176171c83127d5eb7df.jpg 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for December 5th: What is the most extreme example of scale mismatch between two figures in your collection of Miniatures?

23 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Most of the old Ral Partha Battletech miniatures felt improperly scaled with respect to each other. i.e. That light mech does not feel 4 times smaller than that assault mech.

Then again, nothing was ever properly scaled in Battletech. Cool big stompy robots combat rules trumped RealTM physics.

Beat me to it. Battletech, having been around for 35 years and several different mold making companies is unreal, the Atlas has to be the worst with different ones varying in over a half inch in height.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Like others have said, anything in true 25mm scale compared to this guy from Reaper.  He's supposed to be human, but I disbelieve.  He even looks oversized compared to other current Reaper fighters, something about the giant shoulder pads and gauntlets.  

• Like 10

Reaper Miniatures:

Bobby Jackson first sculpt for them:

Dark Lord Holgar 02180

02180_w_1.jpg

Note the Bryangles, but he is just short & squat compared to other male human figures from Reaper. He came out in the 2000s of DHL & he's even small compared to those similar figures. I still like em thou!! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a handful of Dragonlance Villains who look ... unimpressive, when squared up against more modern models. 

Don't really have anything else handy.

• Like 11

Probably my old Partha paired sets against the Privateer Press stuff. The PP stuff looks like Ogres compared to the old Parthas. 

• Like 10

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Games Workshop's Lord of the Rings minis. The plastic soldiers of Minas Tirith as compared to the metal rangers... 

• Like 12

22 hours ago, TGP said:

22 hours ago, Zink said:

A grenadier female dwarf mini from the early 80s and any current dwarf mini. Grenadier was supposedly 25mm and she is tiny, not much more toddler sized next to any of the newer ones.

Dwarves:

Dwarf_Size_DSC_2393.jpg.76b6d381a002f4c9a8de27460b841562.jpgDwarf_Size_DSC_2396.jpg.ce74a8b80e52b58ecefd80a0325013e1.jpg

A variety from four different companies and years of different painting skill. None of them really work together at all.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2019 at 11:44 PM, TGP said:

It is probably a pair of Dwarfs. I have that Quinby Copperthumb figure but not as well painted as Doug’s (purple tunic; blue cloak). And I also have these:

8042D804-81F5-403D-B762-E304534E22BB.jpeg.3dd0ba12743fdab67a103753d7cc49b8.jpeg

I dotted them around to show Scale when I was snapping pictures of tiny ships for last month’s thread. I guess they are Dwarfs. The cutting grid is one inch squares with quarter inch dots. The little guys could probably stand underneath Quinby’s Outstretched left arm. 

Maybe they are gnomes...

• Like 7

Question for December 6th: Is there a D&D Class or (class/Race combination) you never have and never will play?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TGP said:

It is probably a pair of Dwarfs. I have that Quinby Copperthumb figure but not as well painted as Doug’s (purple tunic; blue cloak). And I also have these:

8042D804-81F5-403D-B762-E304534E22BB.jpeg.3dd0ba12743fdab67a103753d7cc49b8.jpeg

I dotted them around to show Scale when I was snapping pictures of tiny ships for last month’s thread. I guess they are Dwarfs. The cutting grid is one inch squares with quarter inch dots. The little guys could probably stand underneath Quinby’s Outstretched left arm. 

Maybe they are gnomes...

Actually, they're goblins, made for the Chronopia game by Target games. They're from the 'Black Blood' faction.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for December 6th: Is there a D&D Class or (class/Race combination) you never have and never will play?

I'm answering under the assumption that we're talking about regular old core rule book classes, not the hundreds of variants available in splat books.

No. I'm pretty sure I've played everything at least once. There are some that I'm not really fond of, but none that I'd say 'never' about.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Chaoswolf ...you’ve saved me the bother of starting an “Identify-these-minis?” thread for them. This explains why they have such big (and presumably stanky) shoes. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

Games Workshop's Lord of the Rings minis. The plastic soldiers of Minas Tirith as compared to the metal rangers... 

For whatever reason they made the whole line go backwards in size/scaling to something that could be called 25mm. 

Maybe somebody didn't get the word. Are these rangers Faramir’s command or Aragorn’s original crew?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

It would be easier to say what I did play: I did an elf fighter/thief (Seadreamer), an elf thief (Wexelwane the Weasel), a Gnome thief (Calabash), & a human wizard/pyromaniac (Malefactus). Since, chances are, I will never play D&D again, any other race or class will remain unsullied by my games play. 

• Like 8