77379 Dracolisk, with custom diorama base

On 12/5/2019 at 9:38 AM, Iridil said:

Great composition - really nice wings with veins - I like that they are lighter colored and the rest of the beastie looks almost camouflaged. Those adventurers never knew what hit them!

Well, his overall paint scheme is based on a nile crocodile. It's hard to tell, but his underbelly and forelimbs are actually pale green with a brown wash.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You did an awesome work. As mentioned, the scene is well balanced, the veins on the wings are beautiful. I like the broken statue idea as well.

Good luck with the contest, your entry promesses to be a major competitor.

My I ask, how did you make the Dracolisk sign at the front of the base?

Edited by Metalchaos
5 hours ago, Metalchaos said:

You did an awesome work. As mentioned, the scene is well balanced, the veins on the wings are beautiful. I like the broken statue idea as well.

Good luck with the contest, your entry promesses to be a major competitor.

My I ask, how did you make the Dracolisk sign at the front of the base?

The same way I made the base and the broken statues - I 3D printed them. :D The base and stumps were printed on an FDM printer (an Ender 3), the statues and nameplate were done on a resin printer (the Anycubic Photon).

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Metalchaos
      Good day everyone, I will share here my progression on a project I wish to do for a long time. I already know all the parts I'll be using for this diorama. Starting with the carefree 03082 Ingrid sculpted by Derek Schubert (I'm converting her as a svirfneblin prospector), accompanied by her faithful familiar the 14453 hunting cat sculpted by Sandra Garrity. They are taken as prey by a 03602 stone lurker sculpted by Kevin Williams. I will also add a 02018 bat from the familiar pack 1 hanging somewhere on the rock wall. I already worked on Ingrid. I removed the base and give her a pickaxe. I made her tool with a paperclip and a piece of scrap metal. This all-project idea started with the gemstone she’s holding in her left hand. More to come soon.

• By Kangaroorex
      I am not good at telling stories on paper.  my mind races far ahead of where the story wants to go and I never get it right so I will let the diorama tell itself.  this is an original copy of the Clutch of Fear produced by Ral Partha in the early 1990s.  The piece is high lead content.  so soft infact that without some strategic pinning the joints fail (or so I have been told). 

The basic story is that 2 egg thieves come to relieve a mother dragon of one of her eggs and she comes back early catching them just as they are leaving.  The setting on the box seems to be some type of sulfur spring or volcanic hot spring and I get the impression of stillness of morning broken only by the shriek of an enraged mother.

I went pretty classic on this one, going with the red dragon and robin blue eggs like the box art but decided that the spines and chest plates should be more contrast than the slightly darker red of the box.  I took the original base pieces included in the box and expanded them to a small diorama of a hotspring using Magic water, a transparent epoxy to create the water around the spring.  The resin developed a little bit of a lip at the edge but I wasn't willing to cut it down and risk the clarity of the water by trying to sand and polish the resin. (its more rubbery that solid and difficult to polish -- I tried on two sample pieces and it didn't work out well.)

anyway the WIP is here if your interested:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/94482-a-new-year-a-new-old-dragon/

and here are the images of the final project.  Hope everyone has as much fun looking as I did creating this.  Feel free to comment and question away as always.  The project was a lot of fun and the they got the expression of the egg thief who is looking back to see an enraged mother dragon bearing down on him just about right!

One shot from the human's perspective to give an idea of the trouble they are in....

And one from a mothers perspective as she hones in on the ones who are trying to steal her precious eggs!

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      Hello everyone,

A new piece of work.

This time it's a WWII themed diorama, 1/72 scale (which makes around half the size of a 28mm figure. The diorama itself has around the size of two smartphones.

The whole project is my entry to a painting competition in a German forum and the first finished work since February 2020 - so one year ago.

The main model, PzKpfw IV Ausf. J, is almost 25 years old. I got this model when I was a kid, and I painted it thickly using email colours, but I never assembled it. Last August, when I moved, I found the model and gave it an overhaul, and when February arrived, I took my time to paint it, do the figures and the diorama.

As always: If you like what you see, and you have nothing more to say, leave a like as a nod to my participation in the forums. I don't need "nice", "cool", "excellent" or "awesome", because those words are used way too frequently to mean anything.

//

//

When I have got time, I need to get some plywood to cover the outside of the diorama, but, to be honest - I am way too lazy to do it now. lol.

Check my Instagram page for other work, if you like:

https://www.instagram.com/sistermarynapalm/

• By Kangaroorex
      My secret Sophie is winging its way to its recipient as I write this and may even arrive before the new year!

I have been practicing a technique shown to me by @Mocha and have produced. Number of these this year so its only fitting that my SS be one of them.

The present is actually a 6 sided die from dice jail for too many 1's so for its trouble it has been incarcerated in greenstuff wrapping paper! 

I modified Rocky a little bit to flatten his wings to more of a waiting position. 

As for the story, Rocky has been asked to wait for his present and he intends to make sure it does not get away!  

I enjoyed making the little bow much more than I should have but it was a lot of fun.  The Rocky series is great.  The eyes are just large enough to get some real detail into without overwhelming the mini and ever part of the mini is accessible to paint!  

I hope his recipient likes him and that he reminds everyone that good things will come with a little bit of patience 

• By Dan S
      It has been a while since my last post, I'm am just struggling to find the free time to sit down and paint or build at the moment.

Anyway, this week I got the opportunity to run some run some 'build along' model making workshops with the kids at the Youth Centre where I work, and we have been putting together little X-mas themed display pieces.  It was actually pretty fun being able to share and introduce a new generation to the joys of my nerdy hobby.  I was pretty pleased with how they turned out so I figured I would share. 

The base is just a piece of log, and the moose is a very cheap plastic toy (I repainted mine), which I managed to find at a local discount store in big buckets of 50 animals for £2, they really cheap and nasty, but actually paint up nicely.  Everything else is just standard modeling stuff, sculptamold, static grasses, clump foliage etc.

On another note I have not forgotten about or abandoned my Apocalyptic Suburbia Journal, it is still sat on my desk gathering dust.  I plan to get back to it in the new year.

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)